[MOD] "Independents" Mod

Thanks. I had read that post earlier, but like you said, nothing concrete. And Kemp certainly has some very astute GSB observations, as do you. The max cost is probably the only way to implement NPCs. If anyone has anything else, much appreciated.

New version up

I like the mod, and especially like the look and feel of the uniquely mounted weapons and armour. What I don’t really like is the look of the ships. They seem just a little too samish, there isn’t any real changes to most of them aside from colour. I know I sound hypocritical as I haven’t made any models at all, but I feel this could be changed.

Aside from that, lovely mod.

Mac version up, see 1st page

I finally got the download of the the Mac version to work and so far so good mostly. Shaders on mac are apparently more involved than the windows version, and I kept getting a dialogue box indicating a “syntax” error in the shader file, so I removed that line of code from the scenario files and the problem went away. It also disabled the shading…but hey beggars can’t be choosers. If you want I can upload sample Mac Shading files from the “Order” scenarios as a template. I am not sure how to build a .fx file…so I will leave that to you guys if you want. Also the part of the station art is corrupted “Fed_Station_Command.png” is broken, half of the image looks like a fuzzy/broken tv screen. The game has locked up a time or two trying to load a scenario, but happens more often if I quit the scenario and try to go right back in. If I do anything at the scenario selection screen. Oh and their were still some .dds files…I converted them to png and have had no other issues with graphics.

Mac issues:
Shaders give errors and do not work (does not seem to crash game).
Fed_Station_Command.png is corrupted.
Still .dds files present in Mac Version.

Let me guess how you have managed to make the great archievent that is the first pic, you have created an incredibly big hull with that fog sprite with a gradualy decreasing of the transparency of the sprite until it is invisible. Pros, a great option to make better and newer maps, also the frigates will run away faster out of the fog due the expulsion effect (if you are using a cruiser based code). Cons, the enemy, ie you, will find repel force problem if you try to get inside the fog.

I’m right? If not okay, but its still an epic idea =D

what does this have to do with serenity :l none of the ships look like what they are supposed to look like XD

lol… darn close! I used the same code used for an asteroid belt or planet, as described here:

http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4691&p=29083&hilit=backdrop#p29083

The faded blue is a simple PNG feathered to transparency, like you said. But not a sprite, its in “backdrops.” Set the parallax so that “haze” is above the ships. IMO it looked like that scene in Serenity when the Reaver ships appear out of the fog (“Somebody fire!”). You con will probably never materialize because its far right of battle. Action never happens there.

The station uses a similar technique, but I created high-rez station art and made a DDS file. Set the parallax under ships. Large sprites look too fuzzy in game, so this was a good alternative to show detail. To add weapons and effects to the station, I made large sprites for turrets and damage. They sit exactly over the background image, to give that effect.

As I mentioned in ReadMe, if you see a big white box, just reload the scenario. That fixed it for me. I think its a cache limit (but have no idea). On a Mac, its total hit or miss. If it doesn’t load, oh well.

magnus392, there are no broken or damaged sprites, unless you edit the code. Changing the code kills the scenario and it most definitely won’t work right. Mac GSB is more finicky than Window GSG, so if it doesn’t work on your Mac there’s nothing I can do. I tested it over a few weeks on several systems, so it is what it is. Sorry.

PS - And yes guyshishino, the Reaver ships are not replicas from the movie. I’m not that good. However they are uniquely rendered in that style. (I also like asymmetrical ships.) Reavers hijacked real ships, tore them up, patched, disabled core containment (smoke) etc. And also have a unique set of weapons.

For what its worth, my intention was to see what else can be done with the GSB code. Maybe someone else can take it further.

Just offering feedback from a mac user since you have received so much from others rolls eyes

Here are the syntax errors:

To correct I SIMPLY deleted the shader line in the scenario file. I did not defile the rest of your precious code breaking anything, just removed what you didn’t reconfigure properly to work on a mac. The station command center.png file apparently didn’t decompress correctly the first time. I opened the zip file back up and it cam out clean this time. The .dds files…just a heads up, don’t care one way or another your excellency.

You are a very talented modder obviously, but come off so arrogantly that it is difficult to stomach.

I used to use a mac to play grationus space battles but when i got my windows i decide to help modders get ships when they dont have the time :stuck_out_tongue:

the win download link requires login to download, try uploading at mediafire, they are way better at file hosting

Your link is dead, please place on a public server. Your current mod download location has turned off file-sharing due to SOPA-related fear-mongering.

Yes, Fileserve is now useless. And Rapidshare has reportedly begun the practice of throttling downloaders’ bandwidth to a very large degree. I hear that Mediafire is still going, though.

oh yes the good ol media fire lets just hope they dont put the fire out…