[MOD WIP] Halo mod

i think this is one of the most common beginners mistake. i know i had issues with it at first too.

anyway. fighters work differently from frigates and cruisers. they have a different set of sprite files.

inside the “data/bitmaps/ships/[shipname]” folder, you put the “[shipname].dds” which is the usual square image. this is what you see when you are in the design screen.
EXAMPLE:

next you put the “[shipname]_sprite.dds”. this is what you see once you go ingame. its the ship with a damaged copy next to it.
EXAMPLE:

finally, you have the sprite for the destroyed ship. you put this one in the “data/bitmaps/ships” folder. it can contain up to 16 versions of your destroyed ship (or multiple fighters on the same image)
EXAMPLE:

hope this helps :slight_smile:

thank you and i did have this problem with my longsword but the other fighter…i just cant get the white background transparent… if you want to try your hand at it halo.bungie.org/images/bry_updat … roopaK.png

Here you go, you should just be able to right click and hit download

what did you use photoshop?

i will have images ready for you guys sometime today

here are them images

No I use gimp

i see some of you downloaded the mod, what do you guys think so far?

An excellent start :slight_smile:

While I was looking though the mod, I have written a few suggestions below for your consideration.
(Although they may be moot as you may have already done them)

● A readme.txt file is always a good thing to have :slight_smile:

● While the images are really high res, they are somewhat overkill. You could probably reduce them without the loss of clarity. (this will speed things up ingame for low end machines as it does not have to load a 22 meg file)

● From the GSB Modding 101 Guide, this thread shows how the damage on the vanilla ships was generated. The guide has more links to various resources on this subject

● I noticed that the ships appear distorted in the loadout screen, this can be fixed in the hull file by making the height and width the same (downside you have to modify your turret placements.)

● Since i dont have Hopefasts Fantasy Fleet Mod active, your place holder turret map appeared as white squares. For what its worth, I suggest that you stick with vanilla sprites for placeholders.

Here is a link to a file with some examples of what I have mentioned above.

Hope this feedback helps.
Darkstar

i will take these into account but there are three i don’t understand like the overkill images i understand what you mean but i don’t get the process to fix it :stuck_out_tongue:

and you bringing up how they are distorted in the loadout and to make them the same? wouldn’t that distort them in the whole game?

and i have no idea what you mean by place holder turret map…

Ok, so you’re image overkill is probably a result of the fact that they’re so large and hi-res that the quality is unnecessarily high, likely past the point where there is any visible difference. Try to load these large images will also put unnecessarily high stress on the user’s graphic processor, as your files seem to be 20x the size of the vanilla hulls. My personal rule is minimum 512x512, and ~2 pixels a meter.

As for the distortion, the ship designer stretches the images so that they are a square. This will highly distort the display. Add empty space to the edge of the image so the whole thing is square. Below shows the difference in designer. Same ship, just with and without edging.

As for the last part, it sounds like you are using the turret mapping and/or images from another mod. Those without thate mod will not have images needed, and as a result will only see a bunch of white squares. Use vanilla ones, include the modded turret files I mentioned (Give proper credit) or create your own to fix this.

ok thank you very much i will fix the ships :smiley:

new version out!!! :smiley:

gamefront.com/files/22888591/halo+mod.zip

the destroyers turrets are a bit messed up but it will work

i was wondering once i have the fighters done would someone be willing to make a hulk file for them? (i have try’d and failed miserably)

sooo i need help with a hulk i made the texture and i placed the hulks in the ship editor…and i wont save

never mind it has magically decided to work :stuck_out_tongue:

have you tried the newer version yet?

Yes I am looking at it now.
[size=80]Although - I cant help but think that someone is missing from your credit role :frowning: [/size]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQkFNVhppXo

heheh . . apology accepted.

Damn, I will have to give you some feedback once I get back from the emergency callout which has just hit.
Gotta go - be back later - i hope.

whats a emergency callout?

and if its what i think it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ZpHr5l0U0