Modding Questions - Big Fish Games version

Hi

I have the Big Fish Games version of this game (I wish I had known how much more the real version had before I bought it but it does help belonging to their game club so I just used my monthly credit).

Anyway, my questions are with regards to modding. I have modded a number of different things and most of my changes work fine, however I was wondering whether it is possible to add new items to the assets? I did try - got an image and made it the same size as the other images already there, filled in all the details on the assets sheet, etc. but then it kept on crashing the game. Is this a type of modding that is not permitted? Was there something else I did wrong?

Secondly, I have made some courses and the first one seems to work fine but then it does not allow me to go onto the intermediate and advanced courses once I have completed the basic. Can we do this?

Thirdly, I tried adding a new job category myself but it is not showing up in the game, it doesn’t crash the game or anything but it just doesn’t show. What should I do here?

Thanks,

Mandy

Hi Mandy

It would be a big help if you could post your mods.

Then we could answer your questions and give any advice if needed.

hi, you should definitely be able to add assets and new courses, just post what you have here and I can take a look

I’ve actually removed those mods that I made so that I could continue playing, just went back and deleted them. I will make an example of what I did and post it tomorrow.

I do have another question though, but its not about modding. I am struggles with increasing my IQ and Culture about 63. I have looked at all the activities that increase different aspects of the culture and IQ in the data files and am doing a variety of them. The knowledge bar fills up but then nothing happens to the other bars even though I am going to the theater and museum for culture_arts, doing crosswords for IQ_problemsolving, videogames for IQ_logic, etc. How do I overcome this problem?

Here are the courses:

GARDENING

#ADULT gardening Grow your own herbs, vegetables and flowers 20 -1
-1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 # # 0.3 #

ADULT inter_gardening Intermediate Gardening 30 -1 -1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 # gardening 0.25

ADULT adv_gardening Advanced Gardening and Landscaping 40 -1 -1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 # inter_gardening 0.2

Sorry I’m not sure how to space these correctly but hopefully you can work it out?

The Jobs:

GARDENING

gardener Gardener Gardener Gardener Mrs Jones Mrs Jones’ garden garden 17000 17000 N/A 0 0.5 0.4 0 # # # # # # # tiredness,0.25,_TIRED_DEGRADE fitness,0.07,0.2

lassist Landscape Assistant Landscape Assistant Landscape Assistant Premier Landscaping Premier Landscaping garden 20000 24000 N/A 0 0.5 0.4 0 # confidence _sobriety _energy # inter_gardening # tiredness,0.3,_TIRED_DEGRADE fitness,0.2,0.2

Landscaper Landscaper Landscaper Landscaper Premier Landscaping Premier Landscaping garden 30000 35000 N/A 0 0.5 0.4 0 # confidence _sobriety _energy # adv_gardening# tiredness,0.35,_TIRED_DEGRADE fitness,0.4,0.4

And the Asset, a little hamster:

sim_hamster hamster Hamster pets Watch this friendly, furry little fellow to reduce your stress levels ass_hamster.bmp 64 64 20 0 SELLABLE,REBUYABLE # stress,-0.30,0

Hope you can work this out, as I say my little hamster keeps crashing the whole game, the jobs just don’t show up and I can do the first course and the others show up under courses as unavailable even when you have done the previous course.

I’ll have a proper look tomorrow but for now …
there’s already a hamster

#,sim_hamster,hamster,Hamster,pets,The most fearsome of beasts,ass_hamster.bmp,64,64,,15,0,REBUYABLE,,#,"stress,-0.19,0","boredom,-0.1,0",#,

What, probably, crashes your game could be the comma

An easy way out is to enclose the description in apostrophes

Thanks, there wasn’t a hamster in my version though. I believe there is one in the game that is sold from your website but the one I got from BFG didn’t have one so I decided to add it. I will try your suggestion though

I just tried it now and it still doesn’t seem to be working - I tried putting it between inverted commas and then also just leaving it as a sentence without a comma “your furry friend” but neither of these ways work. Could it be that if my program doesn’t have a hamster at the moment that there is no trigger as sim_hamster? What does the trigger refer to? I am going to try now to do a book and see if that works.

that sounds likely, I haven’t checked the code yet (just woke up!), but those things like sim_hamster and sim-Book have special meaning in the code. try turning your hamster into a book, and I bet he shows up fine.

Well I tried adding a book but it also just keeps crashing the game.

Sorry, can I ask another question as well? Is there anyway to give your sims items at the start of the game using the cheat file? I tried to just enter the names such as dog, laptop, etc. into the cheat file but it didn’t work.

More than likely you are missing the [color=red]ass_hamster.bmp

Ask cliffski for a copy … maybe he will allow it.

Thanks but no, apparently the BFG version doesn’t normally come with a hamster, it is something unique to the Positech version. I got my own ass_hamster.bmp picture but that still doesn’t help because the other details aren’t working for including it in the assets list.

Be warned : these are all untested :confused: :unamused:

Add these lines to [color=red]hook_eveningclasses.csv

#,ADULT,gardening,"Grow your own herbs, vegetables and flowers",,20,-1,-1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,#,#,0.3,#,, #,ADULT,inter_gardening,"Intermediate Gardening",,30,-1,-1,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,#,"gardening,1.0",#,0.25,#, #,ADULT,adv_gardening,"Advanced Gardening and Landscaping",,40,-1,-1,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,#,"inter_gardening,1.0",#,0.2,#,

Add these lines to [color=red]strings.ini

nv_gardening = "Gardening" nv_inter_gardening = "Intermediate Gardening" nv_adv_gardening = "Advanced Gardening"

With the jobs :
copy N paste
save file [ whatever name you like ie: mandyb_garden_jobs ]
save file in C:\My Documents\kudos\mods\jobs [ c: default drive letter, change to suit ]
[color=blue]industry is a pre-existing category. Sorry, couldn’t think of any where else to place them

[general]
name : gardener
guiname : Gardener
maledesc : Gardener
femaledesc : Gardener
employer : Mrs Jones
workplace : garden
industry : crapjobs
minsalary : 17000
maxsalary : 17000
tips :
locked : 0
rarity : 0.5
sociability : 0.4
socialkudos :

promote0 = _sobriety
promote1 = _energy
promote2 = _energy

commutedistance : 1.4

duration : -1

[prereq]
0 = fitness,0.2
1 = _energy,0.25

[effects]
0 = tiredness,0.25,_TIRED_DEGRADE
1 = fitness,0.07,0.2

[general]
name : lassist
guiname : Landscape Assistant
maledesc : Landscape Assistant
femaledesc : Landscape Assistant
employer : Premier Landscaping
minsalary : 20000
maxsalary : 24000
tips :
socialkudos :

promote0 = confidence
promote1 = _sobriety
promote2 = _energy

commutedistance : 3.2

[prereq]
0 = fitness,0.2
1 = _energy,0.25
2 = inter_gardening,0.25

[effects]
0 = tiredness,0.3,_TIRED_DEGRADE
1 = fitness,0.2,0.2

[general]
name : Landscaper
guiname : Landscaper
maledesc : Landscaper
femaledesc : Landscaper
employer : Premier Landscaping
minsalary : 30000
maxsalary : 35000
tips :
socialkudos :

promote0 = confidence
promote1 = _sobriety
promote2 = _energy

commutedistance : 5.1

[prereq]
0 = fitness,0.2
1 = _energy,0.25
2 = adv_gardening,0.25

[effects]
0 = tiredness,0.35,_TIRED_DEGRADE
1 = fitness,0.4,0.4

Someone more knowledgeable will tear my efforts to pieces, no doubt :open_mouth: :astonished: :slight_smile:

Try this for the little fella

#,sim_hamster,hamster,Hamster,pets,"Watch this friendly, furry little fellow to reduce your stress levels",ass_hamster.bmp,64,64,,20,0,SELLABLE,REBUYABLE,,#,"stress,-0.19,0","boredom,-0.1,0",#,

I’m working on getting an update out to all the big fish players.

Thanks Rocky and Cliffski. I will try the code you have given Rocky and let you know if I experience any problems with it but it looks like maybe what I missed was the strings.ini part for the courses? As for the hamster I’m not sure what I did but I will try what you have given.

Ok, a report back on the code:
The courses seem to be working well but the hamster and jobs are still not showing up (though fortunately your code isn’t crashing the program like mine did - you just don’t see the jobs listed or the hamster under the pet shop).

Can anyone give me anymore advice with the hamster and jobs?

Just to see if the jobs show up, remove all the [prereqs]

*I must try them locally and work them out better *

Well I definitely do think that the hamster one has something to do with the fact that there is no target as sim_hamster as I have tested and played around with the code and this is definitely where the problem is on that one. I discovered the problem with the jobs as well - well, firstly that I was looking under the wrong category;) but then I also found another sheet with different job types so I know have a separate gardening category (although still no jobs showing in this category but I am going to have a look at that again tomorrow as I have added other jobs and they do seem to be showing up so its just those gardening ones. I may just leave them - maybe Kudos doesn’t like gardening;)