Modding Steam Installs

I didn’t see a thread specifically about this so hopefully i can edit it later as i learn more details.

Democracy 3 Folder Location: (Default for windows)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Democracy 3

Your “mymod” folder will then be at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Democracy 3\mymod

a new country mod file will be here

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Democracy 3\mymod\data\missions\mycountry

Note about the positech mods installer: you can use it to download and create the directory structures, but the installer will use the directories for a local install, that is . . .

C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy 3

you can copy all those files and folders in one swoop and paste (merge) them into

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Democracy 3\

and it will work.

Does this explain why my mods are not appearing and working? I installed my version from Steam. Also I thought I read that you can turn on a Auto Mod option is this correct or was I reading about something else and mixing the two up?

Do I put the downloaded “data” file into the “mod” folder for countries and policies?

If you use the installer from this positech modding page, (and you have a steam install)

copy everything it installed from here

C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy 3

to here

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Democracy 3

the files will be merged by windows into the correct places. Worked for me anyway. :slight_smile:

Not sure about “auto-mod”

I will give that a try as nothing else seems to be working. Thanks

Is it possible to install a mod running the game on Mac using Steam ???

I bought the game from Steam and the Forum there and here aren’t helpful at all with how to install mods.

Where did you get the “mymods” folder? I don’t have that on my Democracy 3 App on the SteamApps folder.

Where do I put the folder “Greece_Xietanu”?

Where do I put the folder “DESPack”?

Ok, so I tried the win installer shortcut to the directory structure, and it worked. Once. For Hungary.
Then I tried to install Sweden from this forum from the zip file, and mimic what happened to the Hungary, but I cant get Sweden to show up.
I also tried to do the win installer thingy with Austria, but it wont show up either.

From what I understand of what I saw of Hungary all I need is a new folder named after the country you want (with all its content), and the file placed in the mod-folder of the original install. The mod shows up under Mods in game, but not as its own country when you click New Game.

In my …/steamapps/common/democracy3 folder I now have Austria and Sweden as folders as well, and both of them having a file under …/democracy 3/data/mods

What am I missing?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

//Edit:
Nevermind me. I found my problems. It was problems with the actual mods compared to where I put them. Apparently there isnt a one way deal, but you can actually put the mods anywhere you like as long as you give the correct path in the file that goes into the data/mods folder. When I found that it all fell into place.

I am working with valve to get steam workshop support integrated into the game to make this easier :smiley: