Monitor out of range

Hi.
I just made an account on this forum, because of a very irritating issue with the steam version of your game. Frankly speaking I just can’t get it to work. When I run the game from Steam my monitor gives me an “out of range” message, and I don’t see anything in game. It seems like there is a problem with the refresh rate. What’s more depressing I downloaded the game from a less, ahem, legal source, and when I run it it works just fine. I don’t really want to run it from that source, I want to be able to play it on steam and enjoy all the benefits that come with it. Is the some way to run it in safe mode or something? I will be grateful for any tips.

I had the same problem with non-Steam version “Full 1.60” from Humble Indie Bundle #6 running on Win XP.

Two solutions worked for me (see other thread):

1. Disabling full screen mode by changing "windowed = 0 " to “windowed = 1” in prefs.ini. Note: I had to decrease the window height too.

2. Decreasing height in prefs ini. On my 1280x1024 monitor “height=1024” results in a black screen and an error message, but “height=960” works more or less (with some minor synchronisation problems which can be solved by resetting the monitor).

I found prefs.ini at “My Games/GratuitousSpaceBattles/prefs.ini” in the Windows “My Documents” folder.