Movie Night!

I was thinking that Cable TV has more than just a football channel, so I want ahead and added another possibility: Movie night. Just copy and paste this line in at the end of the social_events.csv file and you should be good to go.

#,NORMAL,movienight,Movie Night,There’s a great movie on Cable TV tonight. Invite some friends over to watch it.,Movie Buff,movie,0,SOCFLAG_HOMEBASED,Call(dirtyhome);Call(homewithpets);PlaySound(tv.ogg),
“_random,1.0”,“Your cable blanked out and the only channel you could get was C-SPAN. It was not a good night.”,“The movie was as good as you remembered it but the commercials kept breaking the mood.”,
“The movie was as good as you remember it, and the conversation was sparkling as well.”,“Would you like to come over and watch a movie on TV?”,10,5,-1,-1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,-1,
#,“movies,1.0”,“conversation,0.4”,“gossip,0.3”,#,“stress,-0.1,_STRESS_DEGRADE”,“boredom,-0.25,0.5”,“glob_dirt,0.07,1.0”,“weight,0.05,_WEIGHT_DEGRADE”,#,“cabletv,1.0”,

Hmmm…that should all be on one line. I’m guessing there’s a maximum length of line for the forums?

In any event, it’s slightly less expensive than a night out at the movies. The price for everyone coming over is for the food they bring. You need Cable TV for this to take place, but it should be worth it. Feel free to suggest any changes that should be made.

[edited to try to get all of the lines to show up on the screen.] When you paste those lines into your .csv file, remove all of the line breaks in the line.

Let me know if this formatting is better.

This looks like fun, but some of it has been cut off at the end of lines – you might want to edit your post so that the whole thing is visible.

Done. Let me know if you have other problems.

Grrrr! I really like this idea but after trying to get it to work 4 times, I’ve given up copying and pasting for now. Any ideas folks?

Try opening the attached file in a text editor, opening social_events.csv in the same text editor, and copying the line from movie night.txt into your social events file. See if that does the trick.

Edit - Hmmm…can’t seem to attach it as a text file, a csv file, or as a file without an extension. So here’s a one line text file, zipped up. Very, very silly. Unzip the file, and follow the above directions.
MovieNight.zip (576 Bytes)

Where do I find the social_events.csv file? Im so lost

It’s in the Kudos installation folder. Right click Kudos shortcut then click “properties” then “find target”

Look in the data\simulations folder.

Thank you so much, I just have one more question. How do you add this to the social events csv? Is it a copy paste job?

Yup

Depending where you copy that line into the social_events.csv is where it appears in the list of social events in the game. Thus if you add it to the end of the file it will be the last one to show when you select the social options in the game.

How do you format it to fit the cells?

Ahh ok, I see your problem. You need to open it using notepad or a similar text editor.

Obviously you are clicking on it and MS Excel is opening the file for you - while this is fine for viewing those files its not for editing.

Start notepad, then use Open from its File menu and browse for the file. Then you can copy the other bit to that file and save.

Thank you so much for having the patience to help me!