My Country moding tutorial - Democracy 4 (Please pin it)

In the last 3 days iv’e been working in country mods for Democracy 3 and Democracy 4, since the method is a little but different, and since the in game mod uploader to steam workshop seems broken (some of the files that the mod depend on, won’t include in the folder becasue they supose to be in another folder of the game, the mod will not work at all), i’ll try my best to explain to you how i did the mod work :slight_smile: hope it’ll help the community.

Let’s get started, shall we?! :slight_smile:

As you can see, i created 4 files (not includeing the install instruction), and a folder.

1.) Create a flag for youre country as a png file called: flag_country.png - my country called israel soo my file will called: flag_israel.png

2.) Create map for youre country as SVG file with program called “Inkscape” which is a vector graphic program. save it as: map_country.svg - my country called israel soo my file will called: map_israel.svg

3.) Create a txt file called countrynames.txt - my country called israel soo my file will called: israelnames.txt

inside that file you got 3 tabs: [maleforenames] , [femaleforenames] , [surnames]

for example:

notice: you must have at least on surname under [surnames] !

4.) Create txt file called countryname.txt - my country called israel soo my file will called: israel.txt

This is the description that will show in the game when you hover the mouse over youre country map.

5.) Create a folder with the name of youre country, my is called israel. inside that folder create one file called: country.txt - my file called israel.txt

inside the txt file put the following data:

there is a long list of policies there, you can take the:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Democracy 4\data\missions\use folder from the game make a copy of it elsewhere, and edit to you’re needs.

also, after take it edit all the filed inside the subfolders to youre needs.

The mod is done!

where to put all the files you created?

1.) Put the country folder called: “israel” under: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Democracy 4\data\missions

2.) Put the png file flag_countryname.png called: flag_israel.png under D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Democracy 4\data\bitmaps

3.) Put the map_countryname.svg called: map_israel.svg under D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Democracy 4\data\svg

4.) put the countryname.txt called: israel.txt under D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Democracy 4\translations\English\missions

5.) put the countrynames.txt called: israelnames.txt under D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Democracy 4\data\names

Of course that my game and steam installed on D drive, if youre game and steam insalled on C drive change the latter D:/ with a C:/

Enjoy:)

MsPiggy.

3 Likes

And this is the final results:

2 Likes

Great guide! Certainly should be pinned! :smiley:

2 Likes

Open your eyes wide, this old method will become old history.

2 Likes

Oh yeah! I meant as long as that system comes online, or for those who want to use the old method.

2 Likes

I definitely need to find time to make a country editor, because I want to make it really easily, but as you have discovered, it currently involves quite a bunch of files.
There is no reason why this cannot all be coded to be in the game though. I’m sure people would be more keen to add mods if its just typing and selecting things within the game!

3 Likes

I hope so :slight_smile: it will make the modders job much easyer.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for youre involvment with the modders community needs:) i hope i could help more, maybe by make an installer that will do the replacment of the files easyer. my coding skills are still low for this.

I hope we will see that in a future update.

2 Likes