MyDocs\democracy2 folder missing

Hello everyone. I have been playing for a few days now, and after winning some and losing many I wanted to try some mods.
The instructions on how and where to correctly place the mod files are very clear, problem is: I don’t have a My Documents\democracy2 folder at all !!!
After fumbling around a bit, I found out that Program Files\democracy2 folder contains some of the folders requested for mods installation, so I tried put the files in the correspondent folders, and copied and paste the text from the voter type in the VoterTypes file.
It looks like it is working mainly, when I open the game it gives me the option of the new mission, but I am afraid I may have made a mess because the demographic doesnt look right to me.
Before doing all this I tried just to create a folder in MyDocs named democracy2 with all the folders but the game simply didnt see it.
Can someone of you helpful people tell me how to correctly install the mods files?
I run windows xp pro 64-bit and democracy2 is in the Program Files (x86) folder.
Thank you in advance, and thank you for a great game.
pixxa

You can put most of the files in the Program Files\Democracy folder. However, I don’t think that it’s possible to do this with voter types - I certainly don’t think that you can just paste text into the voter types file. I’m not sure exactly what you’re saying is wrong - if you could clarify this then I may be able to be more help. However, you are best to remove the voter types from the voter types csv file as these won’t work.

In terms of locating the My Documents/Democracy 2, are you sure that you’re looking in the right place? It’s only a guess, but the My Documents folders can be confusing. Is there more than one user account on your computer - could the folder have been created for a different user account to the one you are using? Also, make sure that you’re not looking in the “Shared Documents” or “All Users documents” folder - you need to be looking in the one for the relevant user account. Perhaps you could run a search on your computer for “democracy2”. Alternatively, you could try reinstalling the game.

Hope this helps.

Thank you TomPhil for your reply, I was giving up hope.
I know where to look for the My Documents folder, I use it regularly as it contains folders from other games I play like the Sims, SimCity etc. But there is no democracy2 folder.
I reinstalled the game and still no folder in the My Documents folder. But I found out that the mods folder may be actually located in the program files folder. I went through many posts in here to see if anyone had the same folder structure but it looks like I am the only one!

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\backups
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods\data
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods\data\autorun scripts
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods\data\bitmaps
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods\data\missions
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods\data\simulation
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods\data\simulation\dilemmas
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods\data\simulation\encyclopedia
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods\data\simulation\events
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods\data\simulation\policies
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods\data\simulation\simulation
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods\data\simulation\votertypes
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods\data\situations
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\mods\data\sliders
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\savegames
Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Democracy2\userdir\democracy2\web

As you can see all those folders are in the program main folder.
Will I use these folders for the mods? If I run the autoinstallers I get the error “wrong path” so I will have to do it manually, which is not a problem; I just want to be sure that I can use these folders, or if they are used by the program for something different.

Thank you in advance for any reply

pixxa

You are correct that there is a folder in the Program Files\Democracy 2 directory that looks very similar to the one that should be in My Documents. This contains all of the data that comes with the game. In Democracy 1, I think, all mods were put in this directory with the other content.

However, in Democracy 2 a new folder was created in the My Documents folder which allowed mods to be kept separate from the main game data. Originally, it was not possible to put some of the mod data in here, which may lead to some of the instructions for early mods giving complicated instructions regarding putting some things in the Program Files directory and some in the My Documents one.

You should be able to put everything except voter groups into the relevant Program Files directory, however. That should work fine.

This of course doesn’t solve your problem that the My Documents\Democracy 2 folder is missing. If you put the mods in the Program Files directory, then you should be fine and the missing directory shouldn’t cause a problem.

However, if you find that not having the My Documents\Democracy 2 directory is causing a problem, then if you post in the main Democracy 2 forum, rather than this one, you should get a faster response, as I think Cliff, who programs the games, checks there more often.

Hope this helps.

Thank you TomPhil for the explaination. I will try and do as you say, and see if the mods work. In case I still have problems I will post on the other forum, but I really hope there won’t be need for that.

pixxa

This could be related to the O/S. I use GetVersionEx () to detect your O/S, because it needs to be XP or later to use the mydocuments stuff (not win98). I reckon my version checking is misidentifying your 64 bit version. maybe it gives a different version number. If it does, it sticks everything that should be in MyDocuments in a folder called ‘userdir’ under Democracy2 (or it should do).
Does that help?

Another 64-bit Vista user here. The Deomcracy 2 folder that I have is located in the C:\Users<user name>\Documents folder, and not the MyDocuments folder. Does this help any?

As an aside, I don’t have a userdir folder under Democracy2, but that may be because I have it at the other location.

I don’t even have a folder like this in my mac