Need more info on how differing Laser and Shield module work

Well, a real navy would certainly counter an enemy with a particular doctrine/technology. But that enemy wouldn’t be fielding totally different ships every battle, either :slight_smile:

If I played a GSB B5 mod, for example, I’d want the Narn ships to be armed, armored, and defended more or less like Narn ships, the Earth and Mimbari similarly limited. I’m just not interested in making a “fake” ship to trick the enemy.

Just to be clear by anchor ship you mean a ship so loaded up on defenses it doesn’t have much in the way of weapons or engines right? Because my cruiser that I have loaded up with shields and armor is still a good frigate/cruiser killer.

I have no hard and fast rule. It’s a feel thing, ya know?

I’d love to see a campaign system where we are given an overall budget to build a navy, then we do, and do challenges with that navy, not changes to the ships. That or every X battles perhaps you get some cash to replace losses.

So would I. Perhaps you receive credits for every ship your navy kills?

Something like that. The basic idea would be that it would be expensive and counter-productive to keep overly specialized designs in the fleet. Like you’d not want a no-shields version of the same ship for nebulas.

Ideally it might even track losses so that when you have ships destroyed they are gone, and you have to use your “replacements” budget to replace losses and evolve new designs. Another idea might also be to budget pilots and replacement pilots. This would provide another design rationale to protect the pilots. That would be novel, a reason to armor fighters :slight_smile:

and also avoid fighter spamming, as it could get VERY,VERY EXPENSIVE.

Not really.

When other races are buying defenses, Tribe is buying more weapons instead.
When other races are buying engines to move those heavy defense rigs, Tribe is buying more ships.

Tribe is basically getting way more bang for the buck here - it’s not the sort of problem you solve by giving the other races more ineffective stuff to buy.

i think some of the suggestions are sounding a little like a rpg lite campaign system versus a custom-all-you-like challange vs other players.

for me While some challanges are fun, I’d like to be made to use specific fleets with certain ships with only the modules to tinker with (like retrofitting a fleet in a star base before going on to patrol a specific area of space and not knowing what is out there.

will we see space stations eventually a la SOASE:E? or MOO2

please expand on those abbreviations.

the only issue I take with this sort of suggestion is that it soudns like every other space combat game I’ve ever played. One of the things that attracted me to GSB is that it is different. When you don’t have to worry about limited resources, or keeping as many ships alive as possible so you can use them later, it brings up a different set of skills and tactics.

Or, as I’ve put it when describing GSB to some of my friends, most games have heavy negative reinforcement for failure. “Your fleet was destroyed. Now you are undefended until you can rebuild.” Whereas GSB is only positive reinforcement - the only “punishment” for a failed mission is the annoyance that results from your tactics not working.

I wasn’t suggesting that this be the ONLY way to play, just an available mode.

Yeah pretty much.

It gets rather ridiculous as there are no stacking penalties for module HP unlike shield and armor. Would be nice for some sort of AOE weapon that has really low penetration so it shreds unarmored super spam fleets.

sins of a solar empire:entrenchment

Masters of Orion 2

byt there ARE stacking penalties for the tribe repair module

sins of a solar empire:entrenchment : I have that
Masters of Orion 2: never heard of it, is it old?

Don’t know what they have to do with anything.

P.S: it’s BTW.

i was pondering if we’d see space stations like those games

Its not the repair module, its the HP.

of the repair module?

Tribe has too much HP. A normal tribes cruiser can have more HP than shield + HP of most other cruisers and cost less and end up carrying the same/more amount of guns and engines.

That’s why I play tribe!