New model skin thing discussion

Try doing the skull & crossbones in white. I bet it’ll look much better.

Another version of the Pirate Fleet skin . . although some insignia look better than others

A rusty attempt . . umm, an attempt at a rusty look :stuck_out_tongue:
In theory its the top ships that should appear rusty

Another atempt at the pirate skin
Black and white with a smaller decal

If only I knew how to do this stuff, man I could make things look so awesome.

Hey Alimarin

Yeah, i know that what i have done doesn’t look awesome . . its my third attempt after all :slight_smile:
So if you (or anyone else) have any ideas on how i can make it better, Please - let me know !

I would like to improve to a point where I can create a Pirate / Merc mod

Instead of making it just rusted, make it look more torn apart, or everything is jury rigged back together.

Eich Scavenger mod has cornered the market on the torn apart look . . and it looks really sweet :slight_smile:
So might try the patched back together look for the pirates - where the hull plates are different colour.

Remove paint, make it look grey, add some rust and broken bits, throw on the decal, success.

I was hoping that someone could help me improve the Black version as well, or something that says - “BOSS FIGHT”
Anyways, i have enough to work on at the moment . . once the utility restores power :slight_smile:

any news on this? i’d love to see it implemented as an option similiar to the change name on the deploy screen.

probably a lot of work though, I salute all the people who are experimenting whit skins and if it becomes a mod or an actual feature I will sell my soul to you, once I get it back from that other guy I sold it to that is.

I don’t know if this is scheduled to be a feature in GSB
But yeah, its a lot of work. I am currently editing the graphics for some turrets and that takes a long time :frowning:

Cliff, how do you handle showing damage to your ships in your code? When a ship is damaged, do you change the alpha on some section of an image and then the damaged layer beneath shows through? Or do you actually draw a sprite at some predefined position on the ship on top of the regular texture?

Or something else?

The damage sprite is literally drawn on top of the ship in the relevant place. The text files for hulls determine where the source and destination of that damaged texture is for each damage blast on a ship. (in UV or 0-1.0 values).