New religion focused policies

You could also implement restrictions on what kind of jobs can women aply for.

I really like the ideas by Plexus, FYI!

1 Like

A few more ideas!

1. Arranged marriages.
    1. Televangelism. Does the state permit those loopholes?
    1. France’s Laicite. This policy would make conservatives happy but religious unhappy. A rarity! See French Law 'Laicite' Restricts Muslim Religious Expression : NPR
    1. Ritual Slaughter. Stuff ranging from “can you sacrifice this cow to the gods” (folk religions) to “can you slaughter this pig in a more-painful manner to adhere to religious practice” (Judaism)?
    1. A law both ethnic minorities & religious would like, but patriots & conservatives would hate - religious courts by region! See Law of Nigeria - Wikipedia Similar law also found in Lebanon.

And a few dilemmas…

1. Dilemma: members of a religious minority demand end of blasphemous treatment of religious animal - this is pointed at Cow vigilante violence in India - Wikipedia specifically
    1. Dilemma: healing via prayer, not medication - I don’t believe in medicine, God will heal my daughter of her cancer if I pray hard enough, does the government mandate cancer treatment or no?
    1. Dilemma (if have mandatory IDs): religion on ID? See Lebanon’s ID cards.
2 Likes

Two new country ideas btw to explore the expanded religion mechanics with…

Lebanon & Nigeria. Reasons are as follows:

1. They’re majority Christian so you don’t need to rewrite the dilemmas / events (having archbishops on Indian currency would be… weird).
  2. They have very different national circumstances from the other countries in the game.
  3. They have actual elections.
1 Like

Some great ideas. I forgot about the whole ritual slaughter thing, thats quite a big deal, and was quite political in the UK for a while, as some places sold all meat to halal standards, and this upset a lot of people who did not want that…
There are lots of things we could add here.

3 Likes

Conveniently, the one Asian country planned to be in the game so far has a Christian plurality.

Lebanon also has its weird religious/ethnic quota system. Sadly, the absolute hell of that couldn’t be represented at the cabinet level, but it would make an interesting policy, especially since similar things have been proposed for America (not that they have a chance of happening in real life.)

This strikes me as more of a dilemma than a policy. Although I have proposed a more general policy of allowing religious exemptions which would include a lot of this.

Edit: Oh yeah, this is a pretty standard liberal vs religious policy but Blasphemy Laws is another policy worth considering.

Edit 2 electric bugaboo: Making churches pay tax is another possible policy. Should probably reduce religious membership and charity.

1 Like

Blasphemy is already in the game IIRC but as a dilemma not a policy.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a dilemma - ignore that comment!

Few other dilemmas…

1. (if high intelligence service budget & have armed religious organizations): secret agent infiltrates place of worship, plants bugs in building - parishioners upset at perceived discrimination. This happened in America, see NYPD secretly labels mosques as terror groups and spies on them | NYPD | The Guardian

2. (if refugee policy is set to Total Ban or other very strict settings): Religious minority requests refuge en masse to avoid persecution. They’ve shown up at the border. Does the state admit them?

3. The same dilemma as above, but flipped - instead of religious minority, it’s a group that practices the majority religion of the player country fleeing persecution (real-life example: Iraqi Christians flee ISIS). Does the state admit them?

4. Child marriage law - a recent immigrant who, while a citizen in a foreign country, legally married someone our country would consider underage seeks to have state recognition of their marriage. Yay/Nay? This was a huge political issue in Sweden. Could also work with polygamy. See Sweden struggles over child marriage – POLITICO or Wayback Machine (archive.org) …second link is the pamphlet (in Swedish) that became a huge political issue. The pamphlet, “Information for One Who is Married to a Child” in English, guided men married to underage spouses through the Swedish welfare system.

1 Like

Ultraconservative politicians like Phyllis Schlafly. Who’s against women working. She’s passed away now. But when she was alive, she said that she worked with the permission of her husband. But as a powerful politician, I don’t know how much truth that has. Still, it sends a message.

It could be something which is solely French then.