Note to players of the yahoo version

Hi, If you bought kudos from yahoo, you do not have exactly the same version as people buying the game direct. The yahoo version has all the extra ‘avatars’ in the game already, whereas they are separate for the Positech version. There are a few small features that have recently been added that are not in the yahoo version.
The patches on our site do NOT work with the yahoo version, and you should not attempt to use them, as they could cause problems. Because Kudos is updated regularly, the game has changed since the yahoo ‘branch’ was made, so the patches will not work.
Sorry if this has confused anyone, but the alternative was to totally freeze any improvements to the game when I did the yahoo version, and that seemed a bit poor.
Cheers,

I just bought the yahoo version :[ It crashes for me on every turn, and I want the new updates, but I paid 19.99 for it. How much are you selling it for? Or is there a way to fix my version? Thank you

I tried both the yahoo demo and the one from positech, have a couple of questions. I’d prefer to buy directly from positech (gotta support the indies!) but I noticed that in the positech demo the option for watching TV with friends is not available? Also is there any way to buy a version from positech where currency is in $? Thanks!

I originally bought it from Yahoo games also and it just kept crashing. I contacted the Yahoo Help desk and after having gone back and forth with them a few times, they finally told me I’d have to contact the maker of the game directly. I requested a refund and they said okay. So I’m using the Positech version now. The only thing that threw me off is the use of pounds instead of dollars. That threw me off for awhile.

It sounds like the ‘trymedia’ stuff that yahoo use to wrap the game is causing crashes on some peoples machines. I dont use that, so it shouldnt happen on my copies.
The positech copy is all in UK pounds, and set in Slough in the UK!

The watch TV with friends option was added to the yahoo copy to make it easier, as they requested. However, if you want it back, and still have the yahoo one installed, copy the file called 'social_events.csv" from the ‘data/simulation’ directory into the new version, and it will appear (overwrite the old one).

Seems I have the same problem my friend. Hope someone helps us out.

I contacted yahoo and they just said to re-install the game…but it still doesn’t work. I wish i could get my money back

Hi, it should be possible to get a refund from yahoo from what I understand. If you can do that, its worth trying the demo from here before rebuying it from us, just to mke sure that it is a trymedia bug and nothing conflicting between the game and your PC.
I’ve alerted yahoo to the issue, but I suspect this is just one of those very rare glitches that only causes an issue for some peoples systems when the trymedia wrapper has been applied ;(

Money-back is possible within 48 Hours after buying. Thats what they told me.

So I missed the “Deadline” :frowning:

If I counted right you are User Nr. 4 with Yahoo-Crashing (Im kinda glad that I’m not alone with this).

When we reach 20 we are going to build up a small army and storm the Yahoo- or this Trymedi-HQ :wink:.

Hope cliffski hears something (good) from Yahoo/Trymedia and keeps us updated.

Hi @all,

it seems that only Users with Nvidia Hardware AND the Yahoo-Version of the Game are affected (Take that in consideration the next time you buy a graphics card or a game from Yahoo :wink: ).

After a night full of testing if found 2 solutions to this problem.

[b]Solution 1:
Right Click Desktop>Click Properties>Go to Settings Tab>Advanced>Troubleshoot>

Then turn Hardware acceleration off (Tab to the left).[/b]

The Game works without crashing/freezing BUT is awfully slow and has graphical glitches.

After playing you should definatly turn it back to full because you PC will be slow as hell if you don’t (Playing Games, watching DVD’s).

Solution 2:
I surfed around a bit and found some guys that have the same kind of freeze on another trymedia-protected game. And then I found out about some people complaining about a similar freeze with a game called “Area 51”. I found out that ALL of them had the latest Nvidia-Drivers installed 9X.XX Series (Like the latest 91.47).

[b]Well I tried the Nvidia Forceware 84.21 just for the fun and: :open_mouth: This is it…it works.

So download them:

nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_84.21.html

Uninstall the old ones, reboot, install 84.21 and reboot again.

After that you can play without freezing (I did for several hours).[/b]

Conclusion:
This is still a Problem of the Trymedia-Protection, cause the Positech Demo and Full seem to work fine. Other than that it seems also to be Nvidia-Driver-Related.

Personaly I will never ever buy again from Yahoo-Games (Or Shops that have this Trymedia stuff), and my next Graphics Card will be ATI (Or AMD/ATI whatever they call themselves then).

I thought I was the only one who computer crashed when I downloaded the yahoo version. But I don’t get it. It works on the computers at school, but when I went home and downloaded it, all I got was a white background and the avatar pictures and I picked an avatar and clicked start playing and the computer restarted each and every time. I don’t get it. It works when I download it at school, but home is a different story.

that sounds like you need to update your video card drivers:
positech.co.uk/support/videocards.html

Oh ok. I will be sure to do that when I get home.

The currency shouldn’t really be an issue, is it? As for the TV. If you have any clue about editing, you can just add this line to the social_events.csv and you can have TV back as an event.

[color=green][size=75]#,NORMAL,watchtv,Watch TV,Invite some friends round for some TV viewing,SOCFLAG_HOMEBASED,“_random,1.0”,“A bunch of us are just going to watch TV at my place, fancy coming over?”,0,0,-1,-1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,-1,#,“television,1.0”,“conversation,0.5”,#,“stress,-0.1,0.4”,“glob_dirt,0.06,1.0”,“boredom,-0.35,0.5”,#,“_energy,0.05”,[/size]

Hope this makes life better! :wink: