on targeting

I’m trying to make a super flak gun that sweeps fighters, unfortunatly the turrets stop for like 3 seconds before it starts to shoot the next target… is there any way to fix that?

Can you place up your code from the text file for your Flak Turret
But my first guess is “fire_interval = <>”

Set it to about 500 and see what happens

I think you stuttered when you typed that number, darkstar. [-squints carefully-] Looks to me like an extra zero is in there.
(C’mon, this IS the Mod Forum, after all! :smiley: )

Gunnyfreak my friend, it ain’t “super” unless it fires like a garden hose. The delay that you described can easily get you killed if it’s a really fighter-heavy environment (or nearly any battle against Rebels, lol).

Try this one as a basis for your own design; a lovely little gadget that is, in turn, based on another player’s idea from the early GSB days. I tweaked it a bit for use on some of my frigates, resulting in several variations. It’s accurate enough that, despite the very high fire rate, it’s not “spray and pray”. It has other valuable uses as well…I leave it to you to discover them.

[config]
unlockcost = 0
lockable = 0
armour_penetration = 9
category = "DEFENSES"
classname = "SIM_MissileModule"
cost = 61
crew_required = 12
damage = 15
description = "You always wanted an epic wall of fiery death to strike down enemy fighters before they could decimate your fleet. What you needed were Flak Cannons...here they are!"
fire_interval = 50
flareuvid = 3
fuel = 525
guiname = "Anti-Fighter Flak Gun, mark 3B"
has_decoys = 0
has_flare = 0
hitpoints = 10
icon = turret
max_range = 474
min_range = 40
missilelength = 2.0
missilespeed = 3.0
missilewidth = 1.0
name = "mod_flak_cannon"
powerconsumed = 16.0
shield_penetration = 10
size = "FRIGATE"
slot_type = TURRET
sound = data/sounds/fusion_torpedo2.ogg
soundvolume = 0.5
trail_fade_time = 0
tracking_speed = 5.6
turnspeed = 0.3
turret_sprite = "turret_bull_v3"
turretsize = 7
warhead = EXPLOSIVE
weight = 38

[dataitems]
0 = cost,DECIMAL
1 = weight,DECIMAL
2 = hitpoints,DECIMAL
3 = powerconsumed,DECIMAL
4 = max_range,DECIMAL
5 = damage,DECIMAL
6 = fire_interval,INTEGER
7 = tracking_speed,DECIMAL
8 = shield_penetration,DECIMAL
9 = armour_penetration,DECIMAL
10 = crew_required,INTEGER
11 = min_range,DECIMAL

Please share your super flak gun design with us after you experiment a bit more. My friagte crews are often prowling thru bars and pubs here in Modstown, listening for rumors of awesome new equipment to score. :slight_smile:

@ Archduke Astro
lol, your right i did . . oops :stuck_out_tongue:

I was thinking of going with the suggestion of an interval of 8 and a salvo of 50, with a delay of 500 (If no one can understand what i am waffling about, i will place the code up.) Kinda gives the anti aircraft fire / spray and pray feel.

Reading back over the intitial question, I also made another mistake, my post about the fire_interval is not what gunnyfreak is refering to
(while, the fire interval makes the gun shoot faster, but it doesn’t effect the changing of targets)

That 3 second delay gunnyfreak is talking about might be the targeting sub routine in GSB.
(works out if the target is dead / outta range / disabled etc, if so it finds another target that matchs the weapon range and orders

As far as i know there is no way to force the turrets to choose another target quicker.
That delay time would be in the code somewhere and that’s Cliffski domain.

My fire interval Is set at 3 so I think that’s enough of a garden hose… Now my problem is after it utterly, mercilessly, and brutally destroyed a fighter it takes like three seconds before mercilessly annhilnate the next one, I guess it’s the retargeting problem…