Organization

So I’d like to pose a question to the mod community. when you go about creating a mod, do you plan out ideas? I’ve developed a handy little organizational hierarchy to help organize my thoughts-

for ships:

+race+
    -class-
        =subclass=
             <Name> 
                  -Information (hull bonuses, slots, cost, weight, short description of intended role)              

And for moduals:

+Tab+
     -size-
          =Subtype=
                <Name>
                      -Information (weight, cost, fire-rate, shield/armor/hull damage, payloads/decoys/salvos, description, etc.) 

I’ve found this helps enormously when creating a huge mod, as it can be easily adapted to a quick-reference guide once you release your mod.
also, it allows you to fiddle things into a semi-balanced state before they even get in-game, making balancing a little easier. and god knows everyone loves things that are easier to balance!
penny for your thoughts?

I use a readme file located in the mod directory, it contains all the development info for the mod, what changes i need to make or ideas i have had entered incase i forget later.

Here is the one for Unity. In there is my current list of changes i need to make (there is also the design concepts for the ships and feedback from community members.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unity - Things to do
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
X Nerf the ship bonuses
- Reduce cost of ships
- Overhaul the Hauler and turn into a jugger
- Add in a few dreads into the Viral missions
- Create Viral Nomads
- Reduce the credits for the missions
- Add some suicide cruisers for taking out the trash
x Change heavy weapons to salvo = 2 for heavy bullet weapons . .
X increase by 50% the minimum range of extended weapons
- read throught the forums and find out what other improvements are to be had

= Released 2.0

X Mod the Point defence scanner, inline with the target booster.
X Make new drones to replace Copyright Material for Unity and Viral
X Consider the power outputs of the anti matter reactors . .
X Consider removing the cost bonus of the ships . .
X test lockdown method and write a guide about it. . .
X Look at the corvette torp, ramp it up a bit
X Make 3 coruptor drones, based on aliance bug ships? Purple color scheme.
X For all ships that have a cannon, alter the hard points
X Make a purple engine flare
X Cause you messed around with the drone power settings . . check the loadouts
X Change out the drones for unityViral
X General Tidyup,

Released 1.06 

X Configure Hard points / Running Lights / Explosions on All ships
X Balance out Anti Grav Engines (removed)
X look at shortening the range on Mega weapons to match up with extended varients . .  leave alone the min range
X Create a Node Defence Satillite for Uni-T
X Make some more missions (with the new ships)
X Convert Core into a space Station
X Make one more super Frigate . .tribe with repairs
X Mod the Drones to be inline with rest of fleet . .
X Rename Corrupt to Viral
X Change Backgrounds and Credits on Missions
X Check the Drones, The change in power requirements some drones are damaged
X Make Screenshots for Missions

X Release 1.05

X Make a copy of the drones for the Viral Fleet. 
X Remove the Core and Mauler.
X Replace endgame senario
X Stagger the cost bonuses, as in light are cheap, meds are the same and heavy are expensive

X Release 1.04

X Increase cost of varient modules and ships by 2
X Increase cost of Mega modules and ships by 20
X Increase MegaWeapon Power Consumption
X increase cost bonus to 25%
X Decreased Corvette weapon penetration by 60%
X Trialing Lockdown of Uni-T Weapons (created a patch for those that want it)
X Look at the power requirements of the mega weapons
X Tachyon Cannon Varients have been nerfed to be inline with other weapons
X new mega weapon need to make beam, turret and sound
X Need a heavy tach lance fx
X Sideline Corrupt Units to new race Uni-T:viral
X T:viral Fleet is locked: Increase Cost Bonus by -20% & Reduce intergity by 20%
X Increase the credit amount on missions . . reduce the number of ships in end zone.

-----------------------------------
::Ship Designs::

Things to do:  Review feedback from valued members and impliment.
========================================================================================
{Drones} 
========================================================================================
::Light::
- Recon Drone (1 turret - 3 module)
- Utility Drone (2 turret - 2 module)
- Defence Drone (3 turret - 1 module)

::Medium::
- Support Drone (2 turret - 6 module)
- Combat Drone (4 turret - 4 module)
- Guardian Drone (6 turret - 2 module)

::Heavy::
- Tactical Drone (4 turret - 8 module)
- Battle Drone (6 turret - 6 module)
- Assualt Drone (8 turret - 4 module)
{Frigates}
::1 - FA Frigate.jpg:: - Fast Attack Frigate - (Bonus Speed: 3 turret - 9 module) 
Name: Raider Frigate
=Changes=
- Rear "reactor" could be toned down a little

::Feedback::
* The inner edges for the forward sections don't look quite right, if you could do something to make it look less like someone got out a chainsaw and sliced the relevant federation ship in half and more like it was taken apart and had some sort of rebuilding done to work astwo separate halves, that would be great.

* Good design, but the front 2 bits seem to be a little too sharp on the inside, try adding a normal edge from a different ship.

* Rear "reactor" could be toned down a little <<===YES, TOO BIG; CHANGE TO FS-FF REACTOR SIZE?

--------------
Version 2
--------------
Was Fast Attack - now Fire Support

Look at changing the front talons to the v2 Fast Attack Frigate

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
::2 - FS Frigate.jpg:: - Fire Support Frigate - (Bonus Power: 4 turret - 8 module)  
Name: Hunter Frigate
=Changes=
- To dull, make it more shiny

* This one looks overall very devoid of color (no purple highlights other than the reactors :( ), but other than that is fine. 

* Good design, but the front 2 bits seem to be a little too sharp on the inside, try adding a normal edge from a different ship.

* To dull, make it more shiny  <<===YES; TOO DARK; MATCH FA-FF BRIGHTNESS?

--------------
Version 2
--------------
Was Fire Support - now Fast Attack

Look at changing the front talons to the v2 Fire Support Frigate

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
::3 - FL Frigate.jpg:: - Front Line Frigate - (Bonus Armor / Shield: 5 turret - 7 module)  
Name: Skirmisher Frigate 
=Changes=
- This one's also somehwat devoid of color, though not as bad as the FS frigate.

*DARKEN HULL SLIGHTLY TO MATCH FA-FF?

--------------
Version 2
--------------
As is.

{Cruiser}
::4 - FA Cruiser.jpg:: - Rapid Attack Cruiser - (Bonus Speed: 8 turret - 12 module)  
Name: Striker Cruiser
=Changes=
- This one looks fine mostly

* AWESOME!

* GOOD AS IT IS. :)

--------------
Version 2
--------------
As is.

::5 - FS Cruiser.jpg:: - Fire Support Cruiser - (Bonus Power: 10 turret - 10 module)  
Name: Barrager Cruiser
=Changes=
- darken the nacells to match the bow section

* I'd actually prefer that the bow section be brightened to match the nacelles.

* Doesn't feel very "Uni-T" to me... a little too much clutter and not enough smooth black armor plating

- lighten the reactor
- change the windowns from purple to yellow

* AGREE WITH ALL CHANGES ABOVE.

--------------
Version 2
--------------
As is.

::6 - FL Cruiser.jpg:: - Front Line Cruiser - (Bonus Armor / Shield: 12 turret - 8 module)  
Name: Wrangler Cruiser
or
Name: Grappler Cruiser
=Changes=
- This one is crap . . needs an overhaul

* Aside from the front, this looks like a good ship. 

* Nice, but the transition between the rebel wings and the main body is sudden, smooth that out a bit

- Maybe redo the front of the ship - worst one of the lot in my opinion
- Look at increasing the size of the front "pointy bits"
- Increase the front pointy bits to they go right to the back (ie from would frig part to top)

Try Again
- Fox Frigate Core
- Panther Bow (split)
- Wolf Aft (Split)
- V swept Nacells

- Maybe redo the front of the ship - worst one of the lot in my opinion <<=== MOVE THE CURVED BOW TALONS FORWARD MORE? 
- Look at increasing the size of the front "pointy bits" <<=== SEE ABOVE.
- Increase the front pointy bits to they go right to the back (ie from would frig part to top)

CURRENT DESIGN IS TOO VISUALLY OBVIOUS AS A FED EAGLE VARIANT. SLEIGHT-OF-HAND NEEDED TO SMOOTH THAT OVER. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FORWARD, HORIZONTAL EDGE OF THE FED WOLF AND THE VERTICAL TUBULAR MAIN FED EAGLE HULL CREATES A RIGHT ANGLE WHICH ATTRACTS TOO MUCH ATTENTION. THIS BREAKS THE ORGANIC WHOLENESS OF THE DESIGN, REDUCING IT TO COMPONENT PARTS IN THE VIEWER'S EYE. UNI-T CAN DO BETTER. :)

Try Again
- Fox Frigate Core
- Panther Bow (split)
- Wolf Aft (Split)
- V swept Nacells <<=== LONGER ENGINE NACELLE STRUTS NEEDED FOR THE DESIRED "V" SWEEP.

THIS IS GENERALLY A GOOD DESIGN. MOSTLY, IT NEEDS A HIGHER DEGREE OF STRUCTURAL BLENDING TO ELIMINATE TROUBLESOME ANGLES CLOSE TO 90 DEGREES AT MAJOR HULL JUNCTIONS. THAT WILL HELP IT BECOME A GREAT DESIGN.

--------------
Version 2
--------------
Major overhaul is a sucess - Leave As is.

{Dreadnauts}
::7 - CR Super Cruiser.jpg:: - Support Carrier - (Bonus Speed: 14 turret - 16 module) 
Name: Carrier Super Cruiser
=Changes=
- Front fighter bays might be too dark

* I like the armoring look here, but it seems a little too dark (and a tad too blue) in general to fit with the rest of Unity.

* Sweet!

* ENTIRE HULL DEFINITELY TOO DARK. ALSO TOO GREENISH.

--------------
Version 2
--------------

- Change the engines to something meaty

::8 - FS Super Cruiser.jpg:: - Fire Support Super Cruiser - (Bonus Power: 16 turret - 14 module)  
Name: Siege Super Cruiser
=Changes=
- Happy with this one . .

* The very front tips don't quiiiite go along with the rest of the ship, but it's brilliant other than that.  (Front parts)

* The two fronts look a tad like space-trucks... just my opinion

* I LIKE THIS HULL VERY MUCH. NEEDS A BIT OF A MORE NEUTRAL COLOR PALETTE; JUST A HINT TOO GREEN AT PRESENT.

--------------
Version 2
--------------
As is.

::FL Super Cruiser.jpg:: - Front Line Super Cruiser - (Bonus Armor / Shield: 18 turret - 12 module) 
Name: Mauler Super Cruiser
=Changes=
- Change the bow wings to the curved puma talons

* this one is fine

* I BEG YOU TO RECONSIDER KEEPING THE EXISTING REBEL TALONS! THEIR ANGULARITY IS A STRONG PART OF THE HULL'S APPEAL. :)

THE FL IS THE MOST VISUALLY AWE-INSPIRING MOD CRUISER I HAVE EVER SEEN ADDED TO THE GAME. IT EVEN BEATS EICH'S DISTURBINGLY INSECTILE CRUISERS OF HIS "LEGIOS" MOD. THIS THINGS EXUDES CONFIDENCE THAT IT CAN TRASH EVERY LAST VANILLA HULL ON THE BATTLEFIELD.

--------------
Version 2
--------------
As is.

::Core Super Cruiser.jpg:: Central Core of Unity - (Bonus all: 50 turret - 20 module) 
Name: Dominator Core Dreadnaut
=Changes=
- Change lights from Blue to Purple

ASIDE FROM GIVING IT STANDARD UNI-T LIGHTS, THIS MONSTER IS BLOODY WELL PERFECT. CHEERS TO YOU, MATE! :)

I also have A ‘To-Do’, sometimes I even color code according to the progress on each item XD