Original Lightwave Models: Federation Puma and Eagle Cruiser

I can assure you that during the games development, this was not vaguely funny. it was a flipping nightmare!

Eraser: If you would post the models as an OBJ (i.e. format compatible with free(er) software) or whatever, i can host it. ill even include an appropriate disclaimer. I think that between c4d and max we should have everything covered. I tried one of those 3d model viewers but no worky.

Hah, i would have done that already - but they are too large to be posted here, obj isn’t exactly the most optimized model format ;p
Sorry for the late reply, i was kinda busy lately :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The path to import it to 3dsmax is via Cinema 4D or Blender (blender has a lwo importer) then from that to wavefront obj and from obj to 3dsmax :wink: Though of course textures or even colors will be entirely borked

Lightwave could export to obj (pretty sure of that) but since now we have lwo files 3dsmax import is gonna be fun :wink: I was pretty surprised c4d could open the lwo file like that, an it even contains the textures and texturemaps (of course, they aren’t included so they are dead but it works pretty well) - Well yeah ;p

As for making the engine larger… if only that were so easy ,p LWO has a entirely different way to group the mesh so when importing it the end-result is a huge mesh with many polygon tags with texture tag following - this means you can’t easily select an element but only TEXTURE groups. Manually selection is too fiddly for my short attention span, since they are pretty high poly meshes…

To attach the OBJ format here the attachment would need to allow 2mb or so. (even compressed the files are rather large…)

alright. sorry, im not that familiar with lightwave…even huge max models zip down very nicely, evidently OBJs do not. Dont worry, ill find a way!

Well i am not sure how cliffski sees this :wink: Since its his copyright i can’t just send the files via email otherwise I’d have offered that.

If anyone wants any converted files hosted here, just email me them, or a link and I’ll set it up.
I tend to respond quicker to email than posts here to be honest.

Now i just need to know how to find your email ;p (no i am not kidding, i must be blind!) i will send the obj files to that… ehm once i find it ^^

cliff AT positech dot co dot uk

Lo :wink: after much delay and thanks to cliff you can now download the ships in obj format… i converted them but it wasn’t rocket science - when importing them you have to fix the smoothing groups via smooth (in 3dsmax)

positech.co.uk/gratuitousspa … ds/obj.rar

Things to note

• Smoothing groups are gone
  • Textures are gone
  • You can no longer select stuff by element

Might be useful to some

um… why the hell does text appear (A LOT OF IT) when i click the link…?

Because your browser sucks, get Firefox :wink:

Alternatively just save link as… ^^ Your browser doesn’t understand that a rar file is not a website

well, that worked!

this weekend inbetween Turkey and football, i may just have to make something outta HDU!

I’m not sure on the politics behind copyrights Cliffski, but would it be possible to work out a deal with
ere4s3r so some of his improved models and textures can be included in the next update?

That definitely sounds like a good idea. I have no objections, that’s for sure.
Feel free to email me on topics like that (cliff@positech.co.uk) if anyone has suggested content to be included.

I want those ships ere4s3r made, they look nifty

I agree that those ones look really good (if not awesome! ^^), but the downside of those ships is that they will be not very visible in scenarios with a black background. The “colourcode” made it easy to distinguish between the fleets and the background. Also, the current turrets would look really strange in comparisson with the renders of ere4s3r. Just a little warning Cliff, you maybe should not just overwrite your old models! If it would be accesable as an alternative official mod it would be the best option I think. Just my opinion :wink:

One step at a time, who says turrets aren’t next in line for a makeover? And also, you could consider these models “alpha builds”, they’re not final, just a step towards improvement.

a ship thats not very visible in the background is a good thing in space if you have disables the enemy sensors :stuck_out_tongue:

If this was real life, you would be right, but hard-to-see ships aren’t good for entertainment :stuck_out_tongue: