Original Lightwave Models: Federation Puma and Eagle Cruiser

Yeah realism would be like GSB without sound ^^ I think that for a possible GSB2 the new renders (at least the style) will become reality or f.e. for the next race (addon). I don’t think that Cliff would like to do the turrets a second time, because it’s a real hassle!

Yeah space battles aren’t very fun if you can’t hear the pew pews or even see what you’re shooting at.

Having higher-quality models for the next expansion seems like a bad idea, the quality level should remain the same for all expansions to help maintain the flow of the game. Now of course if Cliff can scrounge together higher quality models for all the ships from both the vanilla game and Tribe/Order expansions, then it would make sense to give the ships for the (hopefully) upcoming expansion the same treatment.

Cliff, maybe you should start outsourcing the final models to a 3rd party (ere4s3r I’m looking at you). You could focus more on level design and new weapons, and not have to worry about 3D modeling.

okay you all heard it we need to erase the camo modules !

Um… no?

damn it tehori make up your mind already !

Mhh, i forgot all about this topic :wink: Sorry ^^

• Cliff has the model creation outsourced ^^ Not to me, but to the (very good) artist who made the previous models, change of artists is a bad idea anyhow, because everyone has different rendering methods/styles/mind. So 2 renderings will not look alike.

As for the darkness of my rendering, tis true… though its a simple matter of rendering it differently… ^^

The models here are good material for the banner thing going on though so thats why i checked here again ^^ Anyhow, yay ^^

Edit: And speaking of ships, if you want to use the ships i made well, just download them images and go ahead :wink: I don’t mind. As for me making any other stuff, well i am actually quite busy and working on an 4X Game so even if i wanted i can’t do any ships atm :wink:

Hey All This models are off the hook, I was going to ask for permission to import into freelancer. But looking at the file the model is just TOO detailed for freelancer’s engine to handle and will crash right away. Well darn, But hey You got your moneys worth for the models!

Lonestar out. . .

Sir I lost the blimp the creeps and the sweeps!
The what, what, and What???

I think that the poly count of those models needs a nerf if you want to use them properly in a game nowadays… A simple battle in real time with a bunch of those would crash any actual pc, considering that the battle would also be filled with gratuitous lasers and explosions.

Cliff, I was playing with the federation eagle and puma models but I wasn’t sure how the original renders were done. I was hoping to isolate the colors from the rendering to make a custom color editor easy to implement if desired. Were the models originally rendered in Lightwave or did you render them in elsewhere after they were built in LW? If they were rendered in LW do you have the LWS files?

Is this what you need?

positech.co.uk/gratuitousspa … _stage.zip

This is a bit of an older quote (sorry I’m a little new here and just browsing the forums). Blender opens and handles .lwo fairly well. There are no ‘textures’ though, just coloured panels.

I don’t use Blender for rendering, rather paper modeling, but I imagine playing with lights and cameras could produce a fair result (and without the massive licensing cost).

Regards,
Tirick

This looks like the right stuff. I’m rendering some color samples right now. There are some textures I don’t have and if you do a comparison directly between the blue puma in game and my render you’ll see that mine is flatter. Otherwise they are perfect copies of each other.

And here are some more out there colors (the last two in this post have two changed colors instead of one)

ooooohhhh…
“White Rangers”. :smiley:

… The pink is a bit much.

(Though considering all the ships in my homegrown mod are a virulent purple, perhaps my color opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.)

Very cool stuff.

: |

Why is it that no one else appreciates pink cars/spaceships/tanks/mecha?

To me that looks more like a light purple, but maybe my eyes are wonky.

It’s rather magenta, I would agree.

That color is definitely in the border region between purple and pink. I think either one would be correct. The white one is also in the border region between gray and white.

Well, misfit model 3d can handle both lwo and .obj file extensions, but misfit model 3d is a “bit” lack of possibilites xD. But almost, its free. Misfit model 3d is intended as a light fast program with only the essential options. But is the program i use to modify model objects. 3dstudio and cinema4d turns incredibly annoying when u try to do easier things.