[Outdated][Bug 1.38] Conveyor Pathfinding Error

Id like to point out an error with the pathfinding code that I have observed in my games for the last couple versions but I can use the Developer Blog #50 as my example that you can watch to see the error in action in the same manner I have observed in my games.

At the start of the game video, cliffski is pointing out changes made to pathfinding and how difficult it is to program. Starting from 2:30 in the video to 5:00 in the video the viewpoint is located on a small section showing goods moving over the conveyor system. At 3:27 in the video a chunk of the conveyor system is deleted causing goods to find a new path to destinations past the point that has been removed. At 3:54 in the video the missing chunk is repaired. The problem you will notice if you ignore the discussion and just focus on the goods moving over the conveyor from 2:30 to 5:00 is that at the start disk brakes and tires among other things are flowing over the path where the conveyor section gets deleted as this is the shortest path and is used frequently for these items. Obviously when the conveyor section is deleted they find a new path around the break. The PROBLEM is that when the break is repaired you would think the shortest path would again take over as the best path but if you watch it is never used and the pathfinding doesn’t change.

I believe this is a bug. I have noticed the same behavior in my own games and would respefully like to bring it Cliffski’s attention.

Thank you for the consideration.

Yes, I noticed that in the video too. I just couldn’t be bothered to write it up at the time :stuck_out_tongue: So thanks for spotting it too.

Ditto. I spotted that too!

I’ve been having a lot of issues with the resources importers just not route finding at all after a new route gets put in. I have to save, quit and load. I’ll even get resources floating over the now deleted sections of route!

I’ve had this a few times too, but not enough times to be bothered about it.

I’ve been getting it more and more frequently as my factory gets bigger. Half wobdering if it’s just not processing as quickly as I’d like and half wondering if a bug.

Once adding light maker, horn maker etc as factory grows it gets almost constant of an error that resources are needed.

That’s possibly because it’s taking a long time to get the resources to the different slots in the factory.

I wouldn’t say thats an error, more just a feature of the game. You need to make sure that you can adequately get the resources to the slots for fitting and presumably in your current setup there just isn’t enough speed/capacity on the importer to get all the resources you need in to the factory.