Parasites Expansion Pack

I had a hell of a time on that frigate/fighter only fight in the vanilla missions. Using those missile-reflect beams could be FUNNNNNN :smiley:

Since they’re called parasites, why not a shield module that drains the shields of an enemy ship? It would only be able to recharge to X amount, but be able to siphon twice as much maybe?

You could also have “Leech” drones (HW fans will know where I’m going with this) that get launched from special turrets on your ship, like the limpet mine, or even be fighter class. They would sneak up to the target and nibble away at it with acid, big drills, or crowbars (gotta be a crack or an edge somewhere!) ignoring the armour resistance, and slowly grinding it to nothing.

A Homeworld Fan huh? I’m one of them ^^
Yeah, great ideas, i love all of them :smiley:

Lol I like teleport more. You can’t really send anything back due to fuel anyway.

Depends on how close they were when launched. (and you could get the code to reset the fuel component)

Reset will result in an infinite loop if 2 Parasite decides to MWM spam. It will flood and crash the game as missiles accumulate indefinitely.

And yes if it has a return missile that actually works decent, it will very likely be spamming it’s own MWM as they can always win the missile/missile war. If it can’t win? Then the return missile isn’t any better than scrambler and will just be ignored.

If it actually need to “get close” to work, then you better off with just another engine so you get close faster. It’s not like CL spam ever had problem killing an MWM spammer after they are already point blank.

Tactically I don’t see any benefit in that.

Teleport by contrast is totally awesome. “Skipping” allows ship to ignore the distance penalty between a MWM and a Plasma spam, bringing new tactics. I will definitely prefer that.

I really like the teleport idea it could be used (as well as other things) if you have low health teleport repair or teleport to the carrier if your a fighter then get back into the fight? Just a little request while were kinda asking but would it be to hard to add in this: When you can place a module or turret onto your ship it should be displayed as it is normally in the ship arming screen but when an item cannot be placed on the ship could you say give it a red background or something to show that you cannot place it with the current ship load-out, i think it would be quite helpful for me anyway :slight_smile: Also seeing as there parasites they need some sort of leeching weapon surely?

Agreed, this would be bad. The idea that flashed into my brain on reading this was: what if the missile’s “IFF” signal doesn’t change, just its target? That way your scramblers/PD/return beams won’t zap missiles that are on their way back to you. Then the return beam is basically a scrambler at longer range (when the missile doesn’t have enough fuel to return home) but becomes more of a threat at, say, medium range (rather than close up, where spamming CLs is probably your best bet).

I’m sure there are myriad problems with this idea, but I leave it to those with more analytical minds to pick it apart (123, I’m looking largely at you). :slight_smile:

At this point i would like to point out an important rules with Brainstorming: Build on ideas. Don’t shoot them down.
We want to encourage people to venture their own ideas without the fear of being criticized for a “bad idea”

If you think there is a potential problem with a weapon/module - thats fine, but you dont go and post “that wont work - this one is better”
Try and come up with something constructive: For example - post your version of the weapon/module and highlight the changes you think should be made
Once again - there is no such thing as a Bad Idea.

Anyways, to throw another ideas out there for discussion:
Upgrade to an existing Alliance weapon - Chain lightning (jumps from ship to ship if they are close enough)

Feeding off the teleporter idea, teleport bombs? Basically a weaponized version of when a cruiser explodes, AOE damage, big minimum range so it doesn’t hurt the firing ship, and low chances of actually going where you want it, but when it gets inside the shields…

Ohh, what about an EMP-beam type thing, but instead of disabling the whole ship, just the IFF systems, the target ship then fires at anything in range for 10~ seconds, friendly or not…

I guess that will make it usable.

If the returning missiles can be scrambled, then returning missile does absolutely nothing if you are not also spamming missile. Because pretty much all other missile spams has their own scramblers or armor tanks. The small amount of missiles you return will just get intercepted unless you also provide your own missiles to out-flood them. If they cannot be “targeted twice”, then this will make parasite’s “plasma spam” a little better but other than that I don’t really know. It can’t possibly be better than the Swarms smartbomb 55 tanks.

Would it really matter if both sides had missile-returning modules? At long range, it wouldn’t be an issue because the fuel would run out after one return, and at close range, you just get some ping-pong until it does.Or, There could be a delay after scrambling where the guidance could not be reset again, or it could even reverse the targeted, and then fry the receiver so the same trick couldn’t be tried again on the same missile :slight_smile:

No it doesn’t matter if the fuel stays the same. It was a response from a few pages back suggesting that it gets a refuel.

If it doesn’t get a refuel then you don’t need to do anything else to it. Why? Every decent missile spams come with enough scramblers to fight another missile spam. So unless you are missile spam yourself to flood the scramblers, your return missiles won’t make it to the target.

The refuel option was only a suggestion if it was a case where you can’t really sent anything back to due fuel.
However if the missile has enough fuel to make a round trip then you would not need to do this :slight_smile:

I like the idea that the RTS would fry the guidance module this could mean that it cant be scrambled or retargeted and it has to be shot down by point defence.

I’ve started experimenting with the return-to-sender missile idea to see how involved it is. Could be fun.

A new parasites screenshot:

They look really nice and futuristic modern with the glass parts cant wait to see there fighters!

I’ve got return to sender missiles working right now, just need to extensively test them. I also added a new weapon variant called ‘plasma slinger’ which is essentially a rapid-firing low-damage plasma torpedo, just for the variety. I’ll be adding a few more module variations for them over the next few weeks.

Wow, that was quick o.O
I hope it is easy to balance and proves effective against MWM spams

Is the plasma slinger a salvo weapon or does the previous missile have to die before the next one can fire ?
( maybe using new textures as well :stuck_out_tongue: )

• I really like those glass areas - i wonder what it would look like with an opaque pulse glow on them ? (unless they get damaged, then it wouldn’t work)
  • Cant wait to see the rest of the desings - the ship icons hint at something fantastic.

I’m adding support to plasma launchers so they can have up to 4 simultaneous plasma torpedoes on the go at once, allowing for much more rapid-firing plasma weapons for modders, as well as the parasites