PATCH RELEASED (1.63)

Hey Cliff, just downloaded the v1.60 patch, installed it, enabled direct control and as fast as i could launch a battle (i was pretty excited lol), battle started, selected my ship and then, when right clicked to chose an enemy target, everything went black and game crashed…

…help?

The 1.60 patch was released several days ago. I am running this on Mac and had bought the game from Red Marble. The update has still not downloaded. Do I have to do something manually?

Took a LONG hiatus from the game but I’m back to it, saw the update (and love it BTW)

the normal game works fine but the campaign mode crashes after I end my first turn. I don’t know what the problem is

G’Day Cen250
I take it your still running the game in Windows XP ?

When you have a chance could you clear out your debug folder and run the game again. When the game crashes, post up the debug files. There may be a hint in there of whats going on. (Also the steps you did to crash the game - Map, race, etc)

Side note:

• try the game without any mods, see if that makes a difference . .
  • If you have the time, new installation . .

problem resolved, Uninstalling and then reinstalling the campaign mode did the trick.

Still don’t know WHAT the problem was…but at least it’s fixed

I’m getting the same problem as Praetors, whenever I choose a ship and try to move or attack I get black screen then CTD

so what to do when the autoupdate doesnt download the newest patch ?

IIRC, your game should check-in with the Positech server once every 24 hours to see if a patch is available. It would be a good idea for you to confirm that your firewall settings are not preventing this from happening. If you have been waiting more than 24 or even 48 hours, you might want to send a forum Private Message to cliffski (GSB’s developer) about this.

Just to clarify, in patch 1.61, is

Referring to that bug/glitch I’d heard about a lot where battles would have very different outcomes depending on what speed you play them at? E.G. Fighters would live much longer at 4x and die quickly at 0.2x etc.

Or is this bugfix referring to something else?

Pretty much what happened before was a weapon would only fire once per frame maximum. For example, if GSB ran at 40 frames per second (25ms a frame), at 1x A weapon with a fire rate of 50 would run normally and fire every other frame. At 4x 1 frame becomes 100ms in game, and the weapon would fire half as often as it should, firing at 100 instead of 50. Frame rate could be even lower than that too, and with some weapons (especially anti-fighter) having extremely low fire rates (Such as cruiser howitzer at 60) it can make a serious difference.

What you mentioned could be unrelated though. It may just be that slowing down allows your computer to process actions better. After all, if you were a pilot couldn’t you react better if time around you was slowed to 1/20th of normal? (0.2x vs 4x).

Thanks for the explanation! OK, I think that’s what I was talking about… I never really noticed / looked for that issue myself, but had just been reading about it lately. However, all the posts talking about it are rather old, so I wasn’t sure if it was still a problem. What you describe sounds like it would account for the issues people were having.