Persistent Crash From Challenge List

Over the last couple of days I have been trying to play some challenges. However, if I look at a challenge, then regardless of whether I fight it or not, the next time I go to the challenge list and try to move up or down, using either the scrollbar on the right or the mouse scroll wheel, the game crashes out. Windows being its wonderful self doesn’t seem to think I need any sort of error information, so I can’t tell you what it thinks is wrong. Here’s what gets tacked onto the errors.txt file for GSB:

16/4/2011 - 0::29 - Untranslated HRESULT
16/4/2011 - 0::29 - D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed

I am running GSB 1.56 on a Windows XP machine.

Any thoughts on possible solutions?

Hmmm, no idea, certainly not heard that one before. That error message is probably unrelated, it’s a shader effect that won’t laod, but that happens on some video cards, and the effect will just not work in that case. Have you changed anything on your PC. Does a re-install fix it?

I get consistant error crashes with challenges. Its whenever I click a challenge - exit - and click the same challenge.

Either it crashes or I get a random challenge (that sometimes crashes if I try it).

Okay the errors IF they get recorded are

1/4/2011 - 1::25 - Assertion failure:filename:…\src\SIM_Server.cpp,linenum:478,build:Full 1.56

Berny
Annoyed his HighScore was not recorded…Grrr…

Fresh install did not help. Same crash, nothing new on the errors.txt file, nothing appears amiss on the debug files.

Though I will admit that I simply downloaded a fresh installer and ran it. I didn’t delete or move anything already in place beforehand (because I don’t trust myself to move things and not screw it up so I lose all my ships, orders, etc.) Is there a more thorough kind of re-install I can do?

Did a complete wipe and re-install, none of my previous information in the game except my online code and user name. No DLC races installed at the moment. This crash is still happening. Still 1.56, Windows XP. Is there something that can help with this? Not that I don’t enjoy fiddling with GSB by its lonesome, but I really do want to be able to do challenges without crashing and restarting between every single one I look at.

Help!

Ace, I admit I’m hardly a programmer but I’m most surprised that downloading a fresh new installer and deleting the old one didn’t bring you a solution. :confused:

I suggest sending a forum PM or an email directly to Cliff and bring him up to date again on your problem with the game.

You and me both.

At least I can still play the missions, I suppose. And challenges one at a time.

Not sure if there are other threads about this issue (too lazy to do a forum search), but this was the one that popped up with Google. Anyway, I am having the EXACTLY same crashing problem with the challenges screen. Everything else works just fine.

GSB version 1.60, Vista 32-bit.

Not to gripe here, but I think the author of the game should (finally) take a look at the code and try to find out what might cause the crashing. What the program exactly does when: A. you view the challenge details and B. you return to the challenge list. Right now, the only way to avoid a crash is to return to the GSB main window.

I just hit refresh list. It stops the persistent crashing although if you want to search in depth retaliations you end up with the same problem.

Berny_74
Coffee and Cake time

OP here. For what it’s worth, on my current comp (Windows 7, GSB 1.60) I am still having this issue. (I’ve been focusing most of my effort on modding, so I hadn’t checked this since getting the new machine.)

Exactly same thing happening on my pc.

When I get a weird screen Berny_74 mentions above, challengehistory.txt contains the following statements:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LIMIT 0,1024' at line 1