Possible Solution

Hi all,

Before we go any further, I’d like to say that I have searched the forum and have really tried to work this out myself. Now I’m stuck as I’m not a techy type.
GSB was going fine up until yesterday, when suddenly it would hang on the Title screen. I would get the picture and music, but no menu along the bottom of the screen. After waiting a while, I would just click on the screen - it would go black, then i would get the window asking me if I wanted to send a report to Microsoft.
I am running the latest version, with the expansion pack and Star Blazers mod. I installed the mod a few days ago and everything had been working fine.

I uninstalled GSB and deleted the folder. I reinstalled it. Same problem. I checked the forum and found a post about how it will crach if the screen resolution is wrong. I checked the relevant file. All fine. I checked the display setting in the control panel. All fine.
I haven’t changed anything, so I’m lost. I’m running windows XP.
All help greatly appreciated.

Try checking the errors.txt file in the debug folder. It may give you an idea of what is giving GSB heartburn. At the least, you can post it here for additional information.

Good luck!

Thank you, that’s very helpful.
I looked at the error log, and it said it couldn’t find the Yamato Hull. I checked and it’s definitely there.

3/7/2012 - 6::51 - Module Type not found ->edf_frigate_reenforcement:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 272
3/7/2012 - 6::55 - Module Type not found ->edf_frigate_reenforcement:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 272
3/7/2012 - 7::4 - Module Type not found ->edf_frigate_reenforcement:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 272
3/7/2012 - 7::8 - D3DERR_DEVICELOST
3/7/2012 - 7::8 - CreateDevice
3/7/2012 - 7::8 - D3DERR_DEVICELOST
3/7/2012 - 7::8 - CreateDevice failed again
3/7/2012 - 7::8 - Failed to initialise 3D Engine:…\src\Game.cpp 336
3/7/2012 - 7::8 - Module Type not found ->edf_frigate_reenforcement:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 272
3/7/2012 - 7::10 - Ship Hull not found ->Yamato Battleship hull:…\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 503
3/7/2012 - 7::21 - Module Type not found ->edf_frigate_reenforcement:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 272
3/7/2012 - 11::58 - Module Type not found ->edf_frigate_reenforcement:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 272
3/7/2012 - 23::3 - Module Type not found ->edf_frigate_reenforcement:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 272
3/7/2012 - 23::8 - Ship Hull not found ->Yamato Battleship hull:…\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 503
4/7/2012 - 0::7 - Ship Hull not found ->Yamato Battleship hull:…\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 503

I have reinstalled the mod as a precaution too. Does anyone know something that I don’t?

Thanks again.

Just a suggestion to try

Head to My Documents\Games\GratuitousSpacebattles
Rename the \GratuitousSpacebattles\ directory to something like \GratuitousSpacebattlesbroken\

Then run GSB.

GSB will rebuild the \GratuitousSpacebattles\ directory with default settings. See if that gets the game working.
If so then its a matter of moving your saved ship designs / unlocks / etc back.

Problem solved! Thanks cobber (I know we don’t actually say that - I thought it would add an international flavour to the board).

Strewth Mate no worries :slight_smile: