Problem? Ask a modder

Now that is a fantastic question - good thinking bla4zor.

In my experiance 90% of the mods built for windows will automatically work for Mac.
To cover the 10% - you need to cange the dds files to png and the references in the txt files.
(this process takes about 5 minutes tops)

Just want the mod to be quick to install whit no problems

So i just convert them to png aight will do that right now thanks

Remember to keep those seperate from your windows version. (dont forget to do a find replace .dds to .png for all your text files)
I find it quicker to make the mod first - then convert, saves you from rework resulting from bugs you have squashed

But i have to for an beta release otherwise i wouldn’t have done it =)

oh yeah - forgot about that :stuck_out_tongue:

Got it done now, ofc i forgot to change the text files and i knew i was forgetting something then i looked back here and saw what u said like 2 times not to forget

Heheh - On the bright side you will remember the next time :slight_smile:

Now - if your wondering how i made your sprite sheet work, here is the details:
The image file is 256 x 256 in size and is divided up into a 6 x 2 grid and looks something like this:
So when you add in a bullet it needs to sit within one of those grids.

When it comes to selecting one of the bullets for your weapon you use the line
color = 0

This number ranges from 0-8 giving you nine choices.
So the bullet sheet is numbered like this
[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
[6] [7] [8]

Now you may have already noticed that 9-11 is not avaliable.
If you use these numbers the game will display the ENTIRE bullet sheet.

Hence why i sugested using 10 for your high res bullets.
(yes you could have used 9 - but later on when your debugging you might change it thinking its a typo)

Thanks this will help me remember it now for one more question XD i want to make custom categorys that i can put my modules to make it more easy for ppl to see/find all new modules cant find this at all on forum maybe it require coding witch i think is beyond my skills or possible or is there an other way to do this ?

While you can not create new catagories in the module selection screen you can use the uisortpos = to enable your modules to appear before, with or after the vanilla modules in the respective catagories.

Also if you choose, you can restrict your weapons and modules to your Mass Effect Race rather than every race having access(Recommended)

1. How do i use uisortpos i know its stated in text files but how/what do i do?

2. Don’t i have to restrict every single modules even vanilla ones?

Background:
There are two lines in every module that determine where it appears in the loadout screen.
category = This determines which of the 4 tabs the module will appear in
uisortpos = This determines which order it will appear in the tab

A rather rough way of sorting your modules:

So if you have:
category = “WEAPONS”
uisortpos = 1
The weapon will be the first module in the Weapons Tab.

Since vanilla weapons start at 1000, if you set your modules with uisortpos of
0000-1000 <They will appear before the vanilla modules
1000-2000 <They will appear with with vanilla modules
2000-infinite <They will appear after the vanilla modules

If two or more weapons have the same uisortpos things get a bit messy and it then uses file names and such.
Also you cant have a uisortpos of 1.23

Now for a much better & detailed discription, please refer to Archdukes Astro’s post below

Yes you have to to restrict each and every one - so that none of the modules your making appear for Federation, Alliance, Rebels etc.

Its quite easy - a mass text editor and a find / replace can restrict a thousand modules in a second

1 Like

alternative 2 sounds nice i want only mass effect stuff related on screen but how do i mass edit txt files ? (feel so noobish whit all my questions -.-)

[size=85]The first thing you do is slow down, remain calm and at peace, and then go step by step along this process:[/size]

Archduke Astro’s TUTORIAL FOR HOW TO USE THE PROPER uisortpos VALUES FOR MODDED CONTENT

A) Firstly, just boot up GSB and go to the shipbuilding screen where you insert modules into a given empty hull. For purposes of this guide, pick a random cruiser hull from any official vanilla race.

B) Take a good look at the order in which official vanilla modules appear when you’re outfitting that hull. That exact order in which those module icons appear is defined by the numeric value within the uisortpos variable.

C) In nearly all cases, each official module in a given category (weapons, then defenses, engines and “other” [crew, power and etc.] ) has its value go up by 10 more than the uisortpos value of the module whose icon appears before that other module in the grid. Are you with me so far?

D) For sake of clarity as well as preserving the sanity of other players eventually using your mod, I strongly suggest that you assign a uisortpos number to each new Mass Effect module which is a fair bit higher than all other official modules in that same category (weapons, defenses, and so forth; see section C above). Not only does this avoid graphical conflicts with the many vanilla items, but it also allows you to keep all of your Mass Effect mod items together in a single convenient grouping within each category, the icons of which which will appear on the ship-building screen after the icons of all the vanilla modules.

D) Go to each category of official modules and observe exactly which module is the last one appearing in each of the categories. Make a list on a sheet of paper which starts with the name of that category of modules, and the name of that exact module which appears in last place at the bottom of each grid. Got that? You will ultimately need three separate lists, really – one each for fighter-sized hulls, one for frigates, and one for cruisers. This guide will stick to using the cruisers as an example.

E) You’ll now need to shut down the game.

F) Open up your GSB install’s main directory and find the “data” folder.

G) Then open the “modules” folder within the “data” folder.

H) Scan down the lines until you find the individual textfile with the identity/filename (they’re not always 100% obvious) of that same module which appears in last place within the first category of all official modules.

I) Open the textfile via the text-editor program of your choice.

J) Carefully scan down through the many attributes within that module’s textfile until you find that uisortpos value. The names of the attributes are generally in alphabetical order, though not always – so you’ll generally find your goal near the bottom of a module textfile. All official uisortpos values are in the form of a four-digit number; NO DECIMALS (whole integers only).

K) Write down that number on the sheet of paper, next to the corresponding module.

L) Close the textfile after making sure you haven’t accidentally typed anything into it, or worse: typing something and accidentally saving the darn file (you’ll screw up your game if you did, lol).

M) Repeat steps H through L for each of those “last-place” modules in the other main module categories.

N) When done, you will then have a master list of the uisortpos value which is the highest official value used within each module category.

O) Yet again, I strongly advise that you start from that highest official number per each category, and add a “buffer” to it so that your very first Mass Effect mod item in that same category is somewhat higher.

…O-1) For example— in the cruiser weapons category, the Cruiser Target Painter is at 1210, and it’s followed by the Cruiser EMP Cannon at 1220.

…O-2) 1220 is the highest uisortpos value used for any official cruiser weapon in the game.

…O-3) When adding your first Mass Effect mod weapon for cruiser hulls, start its uisortpos to be at least 1300 or higher.

…O-4) Give your second Mass Effect cruiser weapon uisortpos = 1310; the third, 1320, and so on. Just add 10 to the number of the one before it, and keep going.

…O-5) Keep careful track from your paper list exactly where that last official uisortpos is for the next module category in line, and then repeat steps O-1 through O-4 until you’re all done adding new all-original Mass Effect cruiser-sized stuff to GSB.

Congratulations; you’re done. :smiley:

===================

I’m tired as hell and am therefore now stumbling directly to bed.

If you encounter anything in this guide that you’re not sure of or does not seem to look like what a given step described for you, just stop where you are and nicely ask someone who’s awake for a clarification. If I goofed-up a step due to lack of sleep, apologies in advance. I drafted all of this from memory so it is theoretically fallible, but I think that the logic of the guide’s workflow will work as advertised.

If Darkstar or any other learned colleague of mine has an error to point out, I will gladly make the necessary correction(s) before copying this tutorial into the Modding 101 Guide.

[size=85](…Ha-ha-ha; I now see it’s MY turn to be ninja’d. Sleepy typing is slow typing. Good night! :stuck_out_tongue: )[/size]

Hmm - This is something I suggest you use google for. As its a personal choice on what mass text editor you use.

In case your interested, I use Ultraedit for basic stuff and Perl scripting for more advanced modifications.
Other modders have mentioned that they use Google editor, Crimson Editor . . up to you.

But once you have your mass editor of choice you just use find/replace.

That was allot to read lol but thanks will do this instead sounded more easy and safe sleep well Admiral

Downloaded for testing this option to but thing is how do i mass edit like all filed don’t have restricted in their txt files so how do i add it to all txt files in this program ?

If your using ultra edit.

In Theory

• open ultra edit
  • drag and drop all the files you want modified into ultra edit.
  • select replace funcion
  • find ^p[dataitems]
  • replace with restricted = racename^p^p[dataitems]
  • Make sure it finds and replaces through each file
    Note: if you run this twice it will make a mess
  • select save all and close all.
  • done :slight_smile:

Hell yeah that was awesome took like 5 seconds thanks allot again =P have new problem but maybe i should change the thread name to problem solver thread what do u think ?

yeah, why not :slight_smile: Maybe something like - “Ask a modder” ?
Dunno - your thread, you choose

changed it to Problem ? ask a modder ahah laughed a bit was thinking of this when i typed that word =P

weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploa … roblem.jpg

Well to my problem now when all is restricted only my mass effect weapons are available for reapers and N7 Alliance Witch is great but on some other races a lot of modules are gone i know why =P but is there any way i can restrict all vanilla modules to the other races but not my custom races ?