Problem with Mac version of GSB v1.62

I’m running 1.62 on my mid-2009 MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.8), and no matter what I do, the game crashes hard enough to make me reset my laptop. 4GB of RAM is surely enough…
I’ve tried using the minimum video options by leaving only the ‘Gratuitous Shaders’ option on and am still having freezing issues (yes, I turned nearly every option off and still no go). By freezing I mean the only recourse is a hard reboot - even the clock stops ticking.

If I turn off Gratuitous Shaders, the game crashes as soon as I start a battle. Regardless of what I do, the game inevitably crashes after a few 10s of seconds (at most).

I was running the Demo v 1.42 without problems…thoughts? If I do a complete reinstall, where are the custom ship layout and deployment files kept? What can I do to get this game to work?
Apologies if I am posting in the wrong forum topic - I’m rather new to forum-posting as I usually lurk.

Yup, just verified that. The screen flickers and, if I’m fast enough, I can hit escape and pause the game before it freezes. From there I can quit the game successfully, but there’s no hope at all of playing :frowning:

Welcome to the forums, DAstronomer. I nudged your support posts out of the 1.61 sticky up above and made a thread specifically for them.

You mentioned that you’re running the Mac edition of the game, but you have not told us whether you bought the (shall we say) “stand-alone” GSB, or if you’re running the Steam version of the game. I ask about that because those two different versions of GSB are not identical on the back end – each version’s files, preferences, error logs, etc. are not all stored in the same locations.

Also not explicitly stated is whether you are running the Mac-native edition of the game directly in OS X, or if you are running the Windows version via one of the several software emulators available to Mac users. The way you phrased the start of your first post was open enough that I had reason to wonder. That’s the general setup I use. (In my case, Windows GSB on my Mac Pro in 10.6.8, via Crossover – it really beat having to wait ~11 months before I could otherwise play this great game.)

Are you running a 100% vanilla copy of GSB? Have you installed any mods created by other players, or have you yourself modded any official features within your GSB game?

Anyhow, please let us know. Hopefully one of our other GSB Mac players will see your posts about this problem. Please keep in mind that since this is a 3-1/2 year old game, forum traffic is low and instant feedback should not be expected. Take care.

Thanks for the welcome, and the nudge :slight_smile:

I bought the game via Red Marble, which I believe is a Mac-Native edition, but I could be wrong. It’s its own .app file, so I suspect it’s a Mac-native edition. I’ve installed no mods, and the code has remained unmolested by me. I do have some coding skills, but mostly in IDL (eg, not very useful for modding game code). 100% vanilla, that’s the GSB I am running.

Thanks again for the welcome to the forums. I can stand to wait a while to hear back from people - after all, as a grad student I probably should be working at least some of the time…

I also recently purchased the Mac version of GSB (Deluxe) from Red Marble (06 Apr. 2013), and experience the same problems.

Prior to installing the full version, the demo worked without problems.

I have installed GSB on an early 2009 iMac with the following specifications:

Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63b)

DAstronomer: Do you have similar hardware?

After reporting this error to Red Marble Games, they have indicated that there is no current fix.

As such, Red Marble will be organising a refund.

DAstronomer: Perhaps you can request the same.

I have the mac demo, and the PC paid for. I was thinking of buying all the rest of the add-ons that I don’t have for the PC, but I was wondering if one, the mac version was working right (after reading this post), and two, if I own the PC version, can I use the serial on my macs, or do I have to buy those separately? I don’t game much on the mac (my PC is my “game rig”), but I could use it to test mods, since it is nice to test on an alternate machine to make sure I haven’t screwed up my base install on the PC.

I’m afraid I’m in the same boat. I just got GSB off the Humble Bundle and my late 2008 MacbookPro running 10.7.5 is crashing into a flickering unresponsive state when moving to the battle screen. Pointers to solutions appreciated.