Questions about poverty, races and debugging mods

I’m working on mod for Ukraine and have several questions for developers.

1. For some reason I can’t get poverty to be high. It is a major problem in real Ukraine, what should I change in policies to reflect that?
  2. is it possible to change racial/ethnic diversity in a game? Russians are major ethnic minority in Ukraine (12-13%) and they’re of Caucasian, not African origin. Ukraine is really not so diverse in terms of races, I’d like to reflect that.
  3. Can I change files in data root folder in mod? For example, I can’t change party names or minister skin tones.
  4. Is there a way to debug a game? I’d like to be able to invoke dilemmas and events manually.

I’m not the best at the technical details of modding, but I’ll do my best.

1. Firstly, have the simulation start without too many poverty reducing policies. Secondly, you might be able to set a mission override to manually boost it?
  2. I believe you similarly override to give you more minorities. Unless these minorities actually play differently, I’d just live with the wrong skin tones for now.
  3. Not yet, but I think Cliffski has said this is coming.
  4. Not AFAIK; Cliffski would again be the one to ask.

On point 4, what I tend to do during testing is rig events and dilemmas to turn up essentially immediately. You can do this by having an influence on them that reads something like:

0 = random,3.0,3.0

This will mean they are guaranteed to trigger within the first couple of turns of the game starting, so you can check they work right. You can then just remove this influence to let them trigger normally.

Hope that helps!

-El

Thank you all, that was helpful!