R-Type Mod (release 1.0)

Great screenshots. The psychedelic visuals of this mod’s space violence almost look as if they might be best appreciated while “under the influence”. Not that I’m advocating anything unsavory or illegal, of course. R-Type already looks like its installer might need a flag that says, “You must be AT LEAST this crazy in order to play this mod.” :wink:

Seriously, well done. I imagine you’ve been occupied with a ton of hand-drawing many of these beasties from incomplete or low-res source graphics. If so, you deserve some sort of patience award.

AAAAwsome ship’s good work :smiley:

+1
A-W-E-S-O-M-E

Dantalion, how’s your mod progressing? [grandpa simpson]What’s the story, morning-glory?[/grandpa simpson]

It looks astounding!!! I’m quite impatient that you release some sort of demo to see all those crazy effects :slight_smile:

I haven’t had much time to work on the mod but I have made some progress. If all goes well, I should be able to get 'er done this weekend. (Fingers crossed). Here’s a little vid of a test involving the “Gains” strike unit (agile gundam-style robots with huge guns).

Holy crap… O_o

I second that O.O

Holy S…!!!
Sane here o.O

Dantalion, how’s life treating you? I hope all is well with you. When you get a chance, please let us know how your R-Type mod is coming along. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Between RL, reading The Destroyermen and playing Minecraft, I’ve had less time than I like to devote to modding. Sorry for taking virtually forever. lol
Nevertheless, I’m still alive and continuing work on the mod. Here are a few things I’ve added in the meantime:

Decoy fighters: Basically tiny hologram generators that mimic the appearance of R-9s and can be equipped with rudimentary weapons or bits. They are very fragile so it’s probably best not to give them expensive items.

A 6th Force type to choose from: the Bydo Force. Can be thought of as a daring experiment on the part of the human fleet or to give a BYDO swarm even more vicious teeth. :smiley:

Hopefully I can muster the time to finish my current undertaking for the mod. Might take a while because it’s, for lack of a better word, BIG - as an end boss should be. :wink:

I knew you’d find a way to bring home the bacon, old buddy. Just keep plugging away at the work when you can. It’s obvious that the end product is going to be loaded full of explody goodness & high-decibel danger, just like the original you were inspired by. Use the Force, Luke. :wink:

This looks really outstanding…can’t wait to give some of those weapons a spin. VERY impressive graphic work.

lo… u finally decided to include star trek ships on your mod… xD.

It looks amazing, are those Hirogen ships like bosses or something??

Nah, no Star Trek ships in my mod. lol
The “Hirogen” ships are supposed to be like the large cruisers you encounter throughout level 5 in R-type Final: big walls of little turrets. I couldn’t find any official stuff for R-Type with the exception of a Dobkeratops sprite and a R-9 render, so I had to make like the Borg and adapt. :wink:
They’re sort of like bosses though either side can use them.

Some new weapons: Omega Wave Cannon, Fractal Laser and BYDO Scorpion Gateway. You can probably guess which is which. :smiley:
It’s nice to have custom bullet textures available, but there seems to be a bit of lag before the bullet changes to the specified texture after the weapon fires.
This is especially evident with large, slow-moving bullets (the yellow blast bolt is supposed to be a scorpion too)
Anyone else tried using customized bullets and get this issue?

Awesome work on the fx, congrats. I want to play it… :stuck_out_tongue:

r-type!
does anybody called this mod awesome? right :slight_smile:
pls dont give up this project.

Having worked on this for over a year, there’s no way I’m giving up any time soon. lol
Sadly, it might take some time to iron things out as I’ve been getting intermittent crashes (BEX is the event listed) while using the mod.
The errors.txt is of no help in these instances because nothing gets recorded, so there is no easy way to pinpoint the culprit. My money is on the texture swapping when using custom bullets, but that’s just a theory. In the meantime here’s more shiny. :stuck_out_tongue:

Imperial fighters test a Prototype Wave Cannon (available to all races) on Rebel forces:

A mysterious Large BYDO from an unknown dimension attacks the Borg.

oooh perty lazuurs :smiley: that ship looks awsome it reminds me of circuit boards?!