Rad cannon anomalies

1. The sickly green radiation hit effect will not appear on craft that have never had armor in their configuration, although they will still take damage. Adding a single armor plate to be destroyed makes the effect visible.

2. Radiation damage (with or without the graphical effect) gets carried through the shield on unarmored craft (either by design or through fighter attacks, ect) only, on an approximate 20%(?) of shots. Rad cannon only.

In both cases the presence of armor is a binary concern, you either have it or you don’t. Strength doesn’t seem to matter.

Given that the little red armor flashes play occasionally on still-shielded craft when under attack, perhaps the two are somehow related?

shields have a bleed-through effect if their strenght drops significantly,to like 20% or whatever
the ship recieves some damage even through the shields sometimes,i think its chance based… the radiation damage simply gets “carried through” the weakening shields
personally i find it hillarious to watch still shielded frigates explode as theyre eaten from the inside :smiley:

No, only in the case of multiple shields (with failures) would that normally happen.

The rad bleedthrough can happen on the first shot, it’s not related to shield strength at all. Only the presence of an orange bar stops it.

weird,never noticed it happening on shields with full power or so… always when it happened the shields were still online but part of the damage from some shots was piercing through since they were on low power
also,i never ever use single shields :stuck_out_tongue:
imho either heavy layered shielding or forget them entirely

I noticed those problems with the rad guns too.

Shields don’t let damage go trough them if all of them are not knocked-out. Or are being shoot with rad cannons without armour.

As a side note.
Do missiles always hit shields instead of hull when there is at least on shield active?
Lets say, a ship with 5 generators is pretty much going to die with 1 shield active, and missiles will keep hitting the shield instead of the hull although only a fifth of missiles should be actually hitting the shield.

Visually they collide with the shield but portions of the damage seem to ‘leak’ through anyway.

I think the stat is that damage is randomly spread between 1-4 shields, with hull damage occurring on any damage applied to a collapsed shield. Therefore the final shield is sort of blocking 20% of the damage, but not 20% of missiles. A bit odd, but still fair I guess.

Well it’s more like, all missile hits hit the shield. Meaning that antimissile defences, such scrambler, get less time* to shoot down them.

• the distance from the shield bubble to the ship hull.

I’ve been carefully examining shield behavior at slow speeds. Some small percentage of enemy shots WILL cause damage to the ship even when all shield modules are still active. This is not, I think, what is supposed to happen, but it does happen.

Wouldn’t the 2% critical hit chance all weapons have be applied here?

with other weapons than rad guns?
or with weapons that have enough shield penetration to damage shields?

In theory shields don’t get criticals. Otherwise 100 beam-only ships shouldn’t have problems to do at least once some damage to a single reflective shielded ship.

If anything it deserves a look just so that pretty green graphic doesn’t go to waste.

Which weapons? I’ve not seen it on anything besides rad cannons… ship explosions and shots from under the bubble notwithstanding.

I’ve tested against Plasma, Fast missiles, Multi-Warhead Missiles and Fusion Beams.
I’ve been taking cruisers with various shield configurations and put them up against heavy firepower. I watch the battle at maximum zoom and minimum speed to see which shield configurations work best. Occasionally ships are damaged before any of the shield modules have completely collapsed.

What I think may be happening is that the graphical elements may not be perfectly synchronized. The calculations may have a shield module going down and then have damage occurring, but the graphical representation shows the damage occurring and only later shows the shield module going down.