[size=150]This mod is no longer needed as of GSB version 1.61.[/size]
This mod is intended to restrict the modules included with the game to the original four races. This is to allow new modded races to use their own weapon systems and not be forced to also include the core modules in their lists.
This is a modification to the core data files, so nothing is guaranteed. However, to my knowledge, nothing should blow up or insult your family, and this will not interfere with existing ship designs, challenges, and so on.
- New races aren’t forced to use the base modules.
- If it’s your thing, the base modules can be tweaked per race to give different performance envelopes.
- GSB load time may be increased as it has many more files to read in.
- All modules will be unlocked. Users were finding it annoying (and expensive) to have to unlock multiple copies of every module.
In the description below, $GSB refers to your GSB install directory.
Until it is confirmed to work, 1.55-rvm3 can be downloaded here: files.iualdii.net/GSB/RVM_1.55-rvm3.zip
- Download RVM.zip from files.iualdii.net/GSB/RVM.zip
- Rename your core modules directory ($GSB/data/modules) to modules_backup.
- Extract the contents of RVM.zip into $GSB.
- Check that you now have:
- a modules directory in $GSB/data, and,
- a restricted_vanilla_modules.pkg file in $GSB/data/packages.
How to use with other mods
If you rely on the core modules not being available:
[*] Don’t distribute these modules yourself, instead provide a link to this thread to download the modules. This will reduce the size of your mod, and will prevent impossible-to-solve conflicts if the generated modules are changed in the future. I will add versioning information to the package file soon, but it’s not in there yet.
Basically, treat this as another mod that yours relies on.
 If your new race needs access to the core modules:
I will soon add a script which will generate a set of modules restricted to your race. Include these in your mod’s modules directory.
Note that, to keep some semblence of order, I don’t officially support any modification of the core game files beyond what is done here. Except for the need for a package file to avoid the challenge system choking, the modifications made should be transparent to the game. If you do modify the core files, PLEASE include your own package file.
- Adjusted internal name scheme to increase interoperability with unmodded installs.
- Unlock all modules by default.
- Handle tactical.txt correctly.
- Add version number to package file.
- Fixed various problems with initial script.
- Confirm correct operation with challenges and GC.
- Create script to easily generate restricted core modules for new races.