School educational method in the game

Hi Cliff and community, since there is the prison regime as a “fundamental law” in Democracy 4 and in real life unfortunately there are still countries where they have a harsh and violent educational method. So I thought of putting the “school regime” or “teaching method” as “fundamental law” with 3 options which are: delicate, balanced and hard. Or with more options regarding the legalized physical punishments a teacher can give to a pupil (for example: prohibited physical punishment, rare physical punishment, uncommon physical punishment, common physical punishment, legal physical punishment)

P.S. I am not inciting school violence, I am only proposing an idea that unfortunately is in progress in some countries.

Please Cliff and community, let us hear you with a simple comment and if you have things to say that I have not said or that are not precise let us hear !!!

See you!!!

Franztroll
1 Like

I agree with the idea as it’s different that the other countries present in the game. I’d think it should be named “School corporal punishment” where here it should be with banned, balanced, condoned/allowed and would probable influence: (Starting with allowed)
*Conservatory membership and approval increases (as it’s an old method of teaching that makes people fear being different so it decreases liberalism as they’re afraid of it, in my opinion.)
*Religious (Christian) opinion will decrease (It’s sinful to inflict physical damage)
*Education increases (Out of fear)
*Liberals are angry.
*Youth is angry.
*Increases crime and internet crime (cyberbullying) ([1],[2], [3])
*Compassion perception decreases.

Now besides those, I don’t know if people are going to appreciate you more for banning corporal punishment unless it was already a thing.

And the parents? On this law the parents are divided with pros and cons because the parent x who is conservative prefers that at school there are corporal punishment because when he was at school there were such punishments.
On the other hand, the parent y who is liberal has the mentality that no one can beat you in particular boys is against because even if when he was at school there were corporal punishments he repudiates them because he has spent bad years and does not want the uture generations to know these punishments.

(Sorry for making the history of people’s lives but otherwise I would not have been able to explain the fact ;D)

Here there is the world map of the corporal punishment at school and not

Here there is the updated world map. USA is problematic because there isn’t a unic law.

2 Likes

Well, this basically explains conservatism and liberalism.

It’s most likely the other way around. I wouldn’t say that corporal punishment directly makes people more conservative, but liberals would definitely be much more outraged over corporal punishment than conservatives would: politicians in countries skewing more liberal would take advantage of this to get political points without annoying anybody, something which would be less effective in conservative countries (and potentially counterproductive for the politicians)

2 Likes

Hmmm, I was thinking that it would increase the liberal membership if corporal punishment wasn’t already a thing, as people treat things differently introduced now vs introduced now 30 years ago.

I thought at first you were going to be referring to a different issue, which is also relevant, which is the overall level of work in the education system, in terms of how much pressure is put upon peopl e to learn.
All I know about overseas teaching methods is from watching Sky Castle, set in South Korea :smiley:
Anyway, its clear that educational pressures vary. Asian countries in general seem to be very high pressure and competitive, whereas liberal democracies tend to me more free-form, creative and relaxed.

There must be effects of this. Arguably the Asian approach leads of much higher educational outcomes (especially in STEM subjects), so maybe this boosts education and technology, but I have also seen counter arguments, that the Asian approach stifles creativity and causes mental health problems (stress).

I guess this could be modeled on a tradeoff between education and health, with the Asian approach being poor health high education+technology, and the opposite position being relatively poor education but much happier young people and no bad health impact…?

3 Likes

Yes. As you say corporal punishment affects health negatively.

Can you add this idea to the Democracy 4 Trello please? I care about it a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

On top of the mental health issues related to stress, there’s also a general lack in social awareness that people have noticed in students/parents coming from asian schools. Maybe antisocial behaviour might also be a part of the effects of different school systems?

2 Likes

I like the idea of reworking education laws to make it more of a trade-off. I don’t think you should be able to “win” the game, at least not easily. The trade-off that comes to mind is whether you want a high GDP or high environment. Sure, you CAN have both, but the easy options are all one at the expense of the other. A similar approach would be very welcome for Education-Health. That really then leaves Crime-Freedom for the other big trade-off.

1 Like

Oooh these are very good points. I do think a trade-off between education and health is interesting. Maybe its also a trade-off between education and the happiness of the young?
I love the idea of a stressful educational system leading to antisocial behavior, but is there evidence for this? I suspect its actually hidden because many of the countries with that high-pressure education system also seem to have incredibly strict law enforcement, so perhaps its just hidden!

2 Likes

I remember reading about this phenomenon a while back, but I do not seem to be able to find my article for it. I originally noticed this at my old school, where a majority of the students are either immigrants or children of immigrants (2nd generation).

Students who were immigrants often moved to the US because they had bad experiences with the school systems of their home country (mainly focused around corporal punishment in schools), which, when combined with the high-stress environment would understandably result in some emotional/social issues.

Among 2nd generation students, the situation was mainly dependent on their parents. The better the schools the parents attended back in their home countries, the better the kids would turn out. This is probably for the same reasons stated above. The top schools in a country would not/could not risk too heavy handed punishment, and would have better facilities for students.

1 Like

Well, I’ve linked 3 sources above so:

1 Like