Shipart for skilled modders

The damage/hulk effects look nice. Try using some antialiasing to get those edges smoother (less jagged/pixelised)- unless you were aiming for that effect.

Alright, I’m going to pimp those ships up like I did with the Order (GSB expansion race): http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6342

just an update, after taking a short break to crack a single weapons for all races. I will say I have all but the fighter and bomber done. I need a much bigger resolution of them to keep going. i found a ship viewer but I can not match the same color and badge as in the pictures I have recived.

But once i get home for doing the laundry i’ll get to coding and at lest have the frigates, cruiser and capital ships done here shortly.

Sure, I can make them in 512x512. I’ll need to re-make them from thr grounds up, but that shouldn’t take more than half an hour. I’ll upload them and post the link as soon as I’ll finish. Nice work on the hull damage textures Lonestar, they could use some smoothing but otherwise excelent work (and amazingly fast too xD).

I saw your particle effects in the thread you posted Randy. I had no idea you can include such effects in GSB. Real stunning work man. I started to convert all the shipsets and did some searching in my gimp archives and found a couple more ships.

Done with the bomber and fighter Lonestar. Here’s a link:
mediafire.com/?ch7hnd6lh3jgdqv

Now off to making uploads for other sets. I also found a backup of this beauties:

Neat huh? There are about 6 more of those xD I remeber I made this one from a picture I found on the internet so I’ll need to do a lot of searchng to find the artist who made it and include him in credis though :confused:

My goddeses of phobos!!! its a.w.e.s.o.m.e.!!

Plz, i want to see more ships of that!!! :wink:

Anyways, about the credits, if u picked the model from the author’s web or something like that, and you need explicit author crediting, will be good to give credit to the author but, a lot of the 3d models u find on the internet, are for public use, for example , all the models u encounter on the sketchup 3d gallery are all for public use, and while some authors ask u to give its credits for the model if u use it, a lot of models dont have even a text line showing the author’s name. In those cases, u dont need to give credit to anyone, as the model is for public use. In my star trek mod, i will end with about 200 hulls, and even if i know that almost 90% of the images i got it from drex files, that was about 3 or 4 years ago and i didnt noted the author’s name of every image. So, since its impossible to make a search to find the same images (some of em were removed or they are just out of date), i am not going to give specific credits to anyone, just the webpage from where i got the sprites.

God, seeing those beautiful designs makes me to have an unkown will of modeling any ship for no particular reasons xD, i am a bit tired of designing turrets and i need some other things to design (i am looking forward to the babylon 5 mod).

I guess u dont know wat render engine did the author used to render that Khaltaniell??

By the way, Lonestar 1 tip—> If u are going to make sprites of frigates with a regular-small size, dont make the sprites so big, make em mostly on 512x512 or 1024x1024 if they are good detailed sprites rendered from a 3d model, cuz if the in-game sprite is small, bigger design sprites will make the final in-game sprite to look worst than anything. And i am asumming u are not using compression right?? if u use compression, u will get even worst results on the final sprite. For example, for mixed parts ship designs, its almost an obligation not to use compression, or u will get sprites with some pixelated zones , mostly if u use glows or light sources. For that frigate in question, i would use 512x512 without compression. Well, if u want u can use 1024, but the quality in-game will not be greater than using 512, unless of course that we are talking about a heavy big frigate…

Greetings, Kalthaniell, and welcome to the Gratuitous Modding forum.

I’m very pleased at the treasure-chest of graphical goodness you’ve shared with the forum – thank you for doing so! I admit that in GSB I’m typically much more focused upon how a ship and its onboard equipment functions tactically, instead of being attentive to the purely superficial appearance of the thing. However, what you’ve brought to us is just plain awesome. :slight_smile: Those hulls are begging to be made ready for a modder (or modderS) to create a dozen new unofficial races from this excellent raw material.

Possibly not quite so much searching as you feared. I quickly found what looks like six closely-related hull designs – the same as the six you mentioned? They appear on this webpage. They’re about 75% of the way down to the bottom. The last image appears to have a signature and the year “10” at the bottom-left corner.

Of course the page is in Russian, but Google Translate can take care of that. Perhaps a clue can be found there. Good luck and good hunting, mate.

Ok, I have paint.net as my editing program of choice I don’t know if it compresses the file, but I WILL state that the dds file looks a heck lot better than that photo because i had to reduce the quality of it to upload it onto the site and it HAD to be in JPEG format. I will make both the standard 1024 by 1024 size and a 512 by 512 size and see what one looks better ingame. I got the new fighter and bomber designs and will work on em later today once i get back from my running around.

Hmm, i dunno about paint.net, but the compression is used only on dds and png formats, and i think it is not activated by default. I was saying about the frigate size, cuz the greater the size difference between the in-game sprite and the real design, the worst is going to appear the final sprite in-game, cuz the game needs to re-scale the sprite. So in tthe case of frigates, it doesnt matter if u have a 1024 resolution sprite, sometimes (and almost all of the time) the frigate will look the same, even better in 512. Cruisers are another story.

Archduke, i dunno if the guy who designed those awesome ship models is the same guy who painted all those incredible images, but in any case he is a monster… xD. If only the webpage were in english… (i hate google translator).

Ah ok i used the DXT3 (Explicit Alpha) with cluster fit witch is marked as slow and high Quality. I have had no troubles with that in the past.

There is a wealth of truly stunning artwork on that webpage. It’s such a pity that most of it had been created in perspectives other than top-down, otherwise we could use the art for new GSB hull inspiration.

As for the language, well…when one is dealing with a non-Latin alphabet the difficulties quickly become quite steep. I’m not a polyglot; I sure as hell can’t handle a Cyrillic character-set on my own. For tasks like that, Google Translator is invaluable.

It is not a question of problems, its a question of the fact that compressed textures (even dxt3) make a bit lose of quality in the final dds file (and this is unavoidable). But fortunately, in GSB this problem is less noticeable than other cases.

Thank you Nemesis for your advice on giving credits and thank you Archduke Astro for finding that pictures (I’m 99.99% sure those are the one I used to make the ships).
I finished converting the ships to appropriate 1024x1024 formats. There is a total of 61 ships (short of the Homeworld2 ships I already sent Lonestar):
-53 to 55 had no backup so I had to enlarge them as much as was humanly possible without spoiling them
-ships 51 and 61 were made using art named battleship ‘Telesto’, made by ~img-nation
-ships 46 to 50 were made using art which can be found on this site nevsedoma.com.ua/index.php?newsid=93860
-ship 52 is one of the first ships I made (it’s probably quite visible) and was made using art found somewhere on the net,
-the other ships were made using art from Homeworld2, Sins of Solar Empire, Angels Fall First modding team, R.E.A.R.M. modding team for HW2.

That should pretty much cover it. Feel free to download the file and use any of the ships or it’s parts in your mods. It would be best if you try not to make 7 mods using the same shipset instead of making different mods using different shipsets. All files are 1024x1024 .png files and there’s one gimp (.xcf) file which includes all of the ships ,each in a separate layer. The fighters and bombers will be uploaded separately somewhere in the near future. I found few nice shipsets in the archives which I plan to work on and upload them when I get a chance to do it.

Link- gamefront.com/files/20685977/GSB+upload.zip (warning, the file is quite heavy ->100mb)

Let me know what you think of the ships and use them to make the best mods you can xD

Downloading now, thx u very much :wink:

Anyways, it will be good if the people who are going to use this ships on their mods , write here wat shipsets hes going to use, so nobody can piss of the work of the others.
Of course, i am not going (for now) to use any shipset, im just going to download it to see those awesome designs and see wat we can do in a future.
Maybe some designs will be great aditions to the babylon 5 mod for one of the “First” races, or even another unknown race lol, but that will be something to think about in a future. Again thx for this great download.

here is a battle-fleet preparing to rain doom on there doomed foes.

It’s funny how I don’t know what you guys are talking about here since I never compress my textures…

Gj with putting the ships ingame so quickly. The engine trails and the size of the ships are great. I can see why new turrets are needed though. Keep up the good job man! :smiley:

Awesome cant wait to see the bigger ships in-game!

um that is the Fighter, Bomber, Frigate, Troop, and cruiser ships in that picture. I am having some troubles with the Fighters not displaying there damaged textures. You have to have a non-damaged and damaged ship side by side at 128 by 64 and called ship_sprite.dds right? Or did i mess up somewhere? I do not have a hulk file for them yet would that be what is killing it?

The Redish turrets are one of my own design that I lifted form the net i hope you all like it :slight_smile:

Hmm, it is supossed u only need 2 sprites for the fighters, the hull sprite and the _sprite.

As u said, the _sprite is 2x-1x in size and u put there the hull sprite and the damaged sprite.

In the hull file u only need to reference the hull sprite (not the _sprite one) since the game picks up the _sprite automatically. The damaged hull located in the _sprite file should be showing up automatically picked by the game.

And, even if u have a myfighter damaged.dds sprite, that only is useful for using in the in-game editor, so u can see the damage sprite, but it is useless in-game (the game will ignore that sprite).

Maybe the damage textures are so small that u cant see em??

for example, i have this on my jem haddar attack ship →
sprite = Jem Haddar Attack Shuttle.dds
damagetexture = Jem Haddar Attack Shuttle Damaged.dds

I could just placed the same reference file in “damagetexture” cuz as i said, that file is only used in the in-game editor. So u could just leave this →
sprite = Jem Haddar Attack Shuttle.dds
damagetexture = Jem Haddar Attack Shuttle.dds

and the fighter will work fine. Of course, u need the _sprite image on the correct folder for the game to pick it, but u DONT NEED to make a reference in the hull file.
This way, if u made the damage hull inside the _sprite, the game should show it. If not, then im really lost (cuz i have all my fighters made this way and i dont have any problem).

Well, i cant see the red turrets (too poor resolution of the image) but i suposse they are great.

Randy, i dont use compressed textures , not since i realized that i lose quality (and i am very crazy about this) that i noticed too much in the borg designs. Thats the reason, for example, my outer species mod will be extra big in size :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah ok Well I will get a pic of them closer up, Or maybe once more I can grab a pic of it. Anyways here is another picture of the battlefleet were I have the capital class cruiser now.

Sadly the Troop ships is atop the capital ship, I’ll try to get a much better size showing picture, and here it is.

Here is that turret i spoke about. I know its not the BEST. But it was lifted from another picture.