[Ships] Flagship

I want to mod, for each race, a “flagship”.
A ship that is bigger, more expensive, more powerfull, more “gratuitous”.
I want to rule that only one flagship may be deployed in each fleet.

Is it possible to add an option “MAX_DEPLOYED” (0 = infinite, 1 = only one can be deployed) to a ship?

Blind

ohhh yesssss

/signed with a platinum pen

lol please dont make mega-size ships which can fit frigates under their shield bubble… i hate that :frowning:

Ships which are in or behind the shield bubbles of other ships can still be targeted and destroyed like normal, so that wouldn’t matter.

mmm Um I am working on something that is Like this, They are my super-cruiser class ships, However they CAN be made cheaply to allow more than one on the battlefield at one time. I’m sure that once I get the bugs worked out and them more ballanced out I can raise the price of the hull itself to more better make it only one on the feild at a time. But then you have to worry about having room for other ships also.

Note: I have genral super-cruiser modules finished as with a Federation and Allance super-cruiser in-game testing now.

i know,the point is that they fire from under the shields,therefor skipping them and impacting armor/hull directly
and a good deal of frig weapons has enough power to punch a hole in that, not to mention if a miracle happens and fighter torpedoes actually work right for a change

That’s what a massive HP Boost is for. :smiley: Combined with some Anti-strikecraft weapons and attendant support fleet, colossal ships should have few problems from that quarter.
EMP spam is another matter though. Is there any way to ensure a cruiser is completely invulnerable to the effect?

a modded EMP shield more or less covers it,its chance based
the stock ones are pretty much useless cuz you have to throw like 4 of em on to make a difference

Great idea, want to see it in the campaign, were it would be really nice!

If an enemy frigate has made its way across the battlefield and has managed to get under the shields of a super cruiser and its still in one peice then it might be wise to rethink your design or add some fire support. I think its great that ships can get under the shields to do damage direct to the hull . . it stops a single ship from becoming the ultimate weapon

thats the problem :smiley:
not that i want cheat ships,i just want a uber ship which is basically whole fleet in one item :stuck_out_tongue:
kinda impossible with GSB penalties atm tho :frowning:

Simple solution. You need to make an anti-frigate laser.

[config]
armour_penetration = 15
beam_duration = 200
beamwidth = 3.0
blasttexture = "beam_green_atlas.dds"
category = "WEAPONS"
classname = "SIM_BeamWeaponModule"
color = 15,202,255
cost = 96
crew_required = 9
damage = 15
description = "Nothing irritates super starship cruiser captains more than those tiny irritating frigates that evade the cross-eyed turbo-laser gunners. This highly maneuverable beam weapon is the solution."
fire_interval = 550
guiname = "Cruiser Anti Frigate Defence Laser"
hitpoints = 102
icon = turret
lockable = 0
max_range = 300
min_range = 30
name = "cruiser_af_defence laser"
optimum_range = 270
powerconsumed = 7
shield_penetration = 15
size = "CRUISER"
slot_type = TURRET
sound = "data/sounds/cruiser_defencelaser400.ogg"
soundvolume = 1.0
texture = "beam_green_atlas.dds"
tracking_speed = 2.2
turret_sprite = "turret_las_v5"
turretsize = 12.0
uisortpos = 1060
unlockcost = 0
weight = 89

[dataitems]
0 = cost,DECIMAL
1 = weight,DECIMAL
2 = hitpoints,DECIMAL
3 = powerconsumed,DECIMAL
4 = max_range,DECIMAL
5 = damage,DECIMAL
6 = fire_interval,INTEGER
7 = tracking_speed,DECIMAL
8 = shield_penetration,DECIMAL
9 = armour_penetration,DECIMAL
10 = crew_required,INTEGER
11 = optimum_range,DECIMAL
12 = min_range,DECIMAL

Its just a modified cruiser defence laser . . The small range makes it suitable to hit anything within the shield bubble and the tracking speed makes it too slow for fighters and about spot on for frigates. You might also notice that the shield and armor values are higher so it can get through those frigate defences.

that technically is cheating… LOL

so is a super “all in one uber” flagship :stuck_out_tongue:

You could always ask for a super repulsor array that pushes enemy ships away / disables them . .
Kinda like the repulsor upgrade for your cruiser ships in Homeworld: Cataclysm

now theres a nice idea…
repulsor/tractor beams could make the game a loads more interesting :stuck_out_tongue:
alltho the repulsor shockwave would be better i think…

well just think of the codening hell, the tracto beams dont move the ships, they slow them down. whole new programming jungle (i think), anyway, i support the flagship idea, but what i really, really, want most of all is a colour wheel for your ships.

Repulsor beam being hard or easy to include pretty much depends on how cliffski designed his engine/code. It could totally be either way. But I like the idea.

Flagships? No, definitely not. They do not add to strategic depth much and definitely require a ton of extra work. There are many features I’d like first (turning formations, center of mass, spam fleets worsened, more commands, better formations, interesting SSB).

Have you looked into the super-cruisers that I have been trying to push out? In a way they are like Flagships. And I do need help with balancing them out and all. Maybe to the point were Sliffski adds them intot he game, unlikly but I have to dream right?

Just a Bit Off topic:

What Admiral Vazeron1 said about a color Wheel, Couldnt it just be a Alpha layer or a whole separate Texture so you can chose from basic colors(Blue, Red, Green etc…) or just a Hue Modifier Option when you select your race (so if i select The Fed’s then i can either: 1, use a Slider for hue with a Ship displayed or 2, have pre-set hue tones)

Want I want to say: Just because one could think of even bigger ships does not mean the game would be better by having them. Size isn’t everything, you know. You might not have played it, but Total Annihilation is the perfect example. The vanilla game was your average RTS (except it was everything else but “usual” at that time). The second expansion pack, called Core Offensive iirc, completely changed how the game worked when played against people. One of the two factions, (ARM) had a small, but significant advantage in early game due to better units (or rather, units that countered the CORE units well. Imagine your ships all being slow, and the opposition has powerful guns that have horrible tracking. Their disadvantage is not so relevant.) but in the end game, CORE got a massive super unit (that cost as much as half an army) which would totally wipe the floor with anything ARM could conceivably get at that point. So the game played like any RTS in mirror-matches, but ARM vs CORE meant that ARM would constantly try to rush CORE and cripple its economy, while CORE tries to build defenses and stay in the game until that one huge monster is finished.

I would not say that the game got worse by adding that unit, but it totally changed. Chances that super-cruisers would make at least one other ship-type more or less superfluous are significant.

And also, it’s just a ton of work to add 4 hulls and forty items per faction, for something that would probably not make the game better, only different. Little payoff, huge cost = not going in. A Blizzard developer said once about WoW: “We have so many features we want, we have to prioritize. If it takes a long time to create but only affects a tiny portion of our players, it will be cut or delayed.” Dwarf Fortress does the opposite, and it’s hardly playable to anyone with a dayjob and/or a sane mind…