I study a lot of stats to help me balance the game and make every game fun and challenging for all players. Obviously the game is catastrophically difficult to balance, due to its complexity, but I thought a few players may find it interesting to see the process documented. Here are some stats from the current game build. First off, here is the percentage of elections for each country and outcome:
Some countries are obviously way easier than others. I do wonder if putting japan earlier in the list of countries would help dispel the impression that the game is too easy. Also I’m considering adding a 5 star difficulty rating (based on these stats) for each country.
Here is some more analysis for the state of countries in general at election time:
I think the most glaring issue here is that both crime and violent crime seem too easily fixed. I guess it also looks like it might be too easy or too fast to fix health?
Here are the most common situations triggered by the player:
I’d suggest that maybe technological advantage is too easy to get, although its easier for the US, which is the most commonly played country so that may skew things.(sadly I cannot see stats that specific).
Now for a snapshot of demographics stats taken from election turns (regardless of outcome)
It feels like religious people tend to be made very angry, possibly suggesting there are insufficient downsides to doing so? Perhaps they should be more violent when angered?
Environmentalists are very happy, and so are state employees, perhaps made happy too easily? Retired people also seem easy to please.
So things I am considering doing:
- Making some of the inputs to technological advantage harder to achieve.
- Moving Japan to be country #2 instead of its current placing.
- Adding 5 star difficulty ratings to each country on the choose country screen.
- Changing the inputs to Crime and Violent Crime to curve them so that the hardcore minimal levels of crime are harder to eliminate.
- Changes to make Environmentalists and retired people harder to please.
- Changes to make angry religious people more of a threat.
Thoughts and suggestions are most welcome.