Some beginner questions

Hello, I just started playing GSB and I’m trying to figure out how a number of the modules work and/or when/where/why you’d use them. It’s hard for me to figure out how much impact/benefit many of these have, and space is limited. I’d appreciate any answers, tips, insights, etc. Thanks!

1. Terget booster: How does the target booster work? Does it help projectiles to hit, turrets to aim, or both? Must have, nice to have, or don’t bother?

2. Repair modules: What does the repair rate mean? The specs for the nanobot repair seem clearly better that the others - Is there any reason to use the others instead? Why do the armor repair modules cost so very much more to unlock than the nanobot one? Do ships tend to last long enough for these to have an impact? Are repairers Must have, nice to have, or don’t bother? Worth having one (or more?), say instead of an extra armor piece or shield?

3. Point defense scanners: How useful? Must have, nice to have, or don’t bother?

4. ECM beams: How useful, compared to point defense? Fire rate seems slower. Is this suppoed to be used in conjunction with point defense? If so, might not 2 pd’s be better instead? Again, Must have, nice to have, or don’t bother?

5. Target painters: How do these work? Do all missiles shot at the painted target automatically hit? Or just one? Is it just missiles shot from the painter’s ship at the target, or from any ship? The fire interval is very long - does the “painted” effect last that entire time between refirings, or does it only last a portion of the time? Must have, nice to have, or don’t bother?

6. Frigate turbo shield: it has higher costs, less resistance, less hp, and lower recharge rate that shield 2, for just 7 extra shield strength. Is that really worth it?

7. Shield recharge: What is the rate: strength points per second? How does shield recharge work: when a shield is dropped to 0, does it come back up as soon as it recharges to nonzero strength, or does it have to recharge strength to some level before it comes back up?

8. How does it work if you have different shield types on the same ship (ie: multiphasic and reflective) for resistance and recharge rate. Are they averaged together, or is one shield used first and depleted before the second is used.

A target booster improves the tracking speed of all of the weapons on the ship by a small amount. Because the increase is pretty small, it’s usually only worth it if you are using very low tracking speed weapons. Indeed, I suspect I’d only ever consider it if all my turrets were Heavy Plasma. That said, if you find yourself faced with a challenge where the enemy ships are just a bit faster than your preferred weapons’ tracking speeds, you might throw on a target booster (but I’d probably redesign using different weapons instead).

I have no idea what the units are on repair modules, perhaps HPs per game tick (which may or may not be a millisecond). They are very useful modules to have around though, and for survival mode they’re essential. The nanobot module is indeed much better than all the others, except, somewhat inexplicably, in crew needs. I’m not sure that armor repair versions are ever worth choosing instead, since they don’t have any obvious advantages (there is a somewhat cryptic stat named “peace_interval” in the module data which is less for the armor repair versions, but I have no idea what it means).

If you’re equipping a lot of PD turrets on a single ship, it might be worth including a scanner. The idea is that it makes your shots hit the real warheads more often than the decoys, but I’m not sure that it’s more effective than simply loading another PD turret (it costs a bit more). I’ve never used enough PD to even consider one worth it, but perhaps with missiles having been improved over the last few versions I should reconsider.

The advantage of the ECM beam is that the disabled missile keeps flying around in circles rather than being destroyed. I know that doesn’t sound like an advantage, but the way missiles work in GSB it is. Each missile launcher module can only have one volley of missiles in flight at a time, so if you ECM them, the launcher will just have to wait until the missiles run out of fuel. If you shoot it down with regular PD turrets, a new missile can be fired as soon as the reloading is completed.

Missiles that are fired at a target that is being painted will always hit, assuming they are not shot down first and that they can move and turn fast enough to reach their target before running out of fuel (so even with painters, megaton nukes will not be very effective against fighters). Only the fact that the target painter was on at the time of launch matters, so the painter cycles off later it will not hurt the chances of missiles that are already flying.

No. It’s never worth it. Perhaps if the strength was double or triple, but those seven extra strength points will be gone in a fraction of a second if any laster fighters are around (their shots would reflect off a regular shield).

As with repair modules, I have no idea what the units are for recharge rate. I do know that when a shield goes down, it will never come back up. If you have multiple shield modules, some of them may go down before the others, so even if you stop getting shot at, your shields might only be able to come part way back (50 or 67% are common). The way that happens is that each incoming shot gets tested against the shields four times. Each time it picks one shield module at random, and if it is able to penetrate it deals one quarter of the weapon’s damage to that shield. If you get unlucky, one shield will get picked all four times, and so will take the full damage. Crashed shields still get tested against, and hits against them will pass right through to the armor. This is why you sometimes see ships taking internal damage even when some of their shields are still up. This mechanic suggests that it’s not often worth mixing different types of shields, except perhaps to squeeze out a little more performance when you have a little bit of crew and power left over.

Thanks for all the answers, BlckKnght!