Stargate Tau'ri Race Mod - Module Pack Released

Heh… I actually wasn’t able to see it. Windows 7’s default font made that extra space pretty much invisible. Even knowing it was there I was barely able to see the gap. It will be fixed in the next update.

Yeah I plan on giving the Tau’ri nukes. Whether or not I make any changes will depend on how its all set up. I haven’t really taken a look at them recently, but will do so once I’m back at home on my desktop.

Just to let everyone know I plan on starting up development on the next part of this mod as soon as I am done with my defense satellite mod which should be sometime next week.

Lol that confused me for a minute. It turns out that I’ve been arming Tau’ri ships with nuclear missiles from the star wars mod. I thought they were from your mod since nukes were never really used in Star Wars. :stuck_out_tongue:
They make much more sense for the Tau’ri. If I were you, I would ask Dantalion if you could use them for your mod (this one: GSTW/data/modules/cruiser_rocket3.txt).

I’m surprised how easy it is to modify ship modules. I made these two especially for the Tau’ri. Feel free to use/modify them as you like.

One is a nuclear missile complete with massive damage and the order radiation damage effect, but slow and easy to shoot down with no decoys and a large minimum range (we wouldn’t want to nuke ourselves too!):

[config]
unlockcost = 0
lockable = 0
armour_penetration = 125
category = "WEAPONS"
classname = "SIM_MissileModule"
cost = 678
crew_required = 30
damage = 300
decoy_release_range = 0
description = "Using fission technology, this nuke blasts and irradiates your enemies into oblivion!"
fire_interval = 10000
flareuvid = 2
fuel = 2600
guiname = "Nuclear Missile"
has_decoys = 0
has_flare = 1
hitpoints = 145
icon = turret
min_range = 700
max_range = 1500
missilelength = 15.0
missilespeed = 0.15
missilewidth = 4.0
name = "nuclear missile"
powerconsumed = 15
shield_penetration = 100
size = "CRUISER"
sound = data/sounds/missile_launch.ogg
soundpriority = 0.75
soundvolume = 1.0
tracking_speed = 0.7
trail_fade_time = 1000
turnspeed = 0.5
turret_sprite = "turret_miss_v2"
turretsize = 22.0
warhead = RADIATION
weight = 160
slot_type = TURRET
uisortpos = 1160
radiation_damage = 4
radiation_decay = 1.0
total_damage = 30
damage_duration = 5600
restricted = "tau'ri"

[dataitems]
0 = cost,DECIMAL
1 = weight,DECIMAL
2 = hitpoints,DECIMAL
3 = powerconsumed,DECIMAL
4 = max_range,DECIMAL
5 = damage,DECIMAL
6 = fire_interval,INTEGER
7 = tracking_speed,DECIMAL
8 = shield_penetration,DECIMAL
9 = armour_penetration,DECIMAL
10 = crew_required,INTEGER
11 = min_range,DECIMAL
12 = has_decoys,BOOL
13 = missilespeed,DECIMAL

The other is a modified point defense weapon with better range and fire rate, but with high power requirements and heavy weight:

[config]
unlockcost = 0
lockable = 0
classname = "SIM_PointDefenseModule"
category = "DEFENSES"
size = "CRUISER"
name = "surplus_SDI"
guiname = "Surplus SDI"
description = "This is the result Ronald Reagan's classified Star Wars program modified for starship use.  Unfortunately, it still retains the massive size and power requirements of the satellite version."
weight = 300
hitpoints = 300
beam_duration = 240
fire_interval = 300
max_range = 750
beam_width = 2
beam_texture = "beam_orange_atlas.dds"
cost = 1000
icon = turret
crew_required = 0
powerconsumed = 40
turret_sprite = "turret_pd_v2"
turretsize = 16.0
tracking_speed = 6.4
slot_type = TURRET
uisortpos = 2150
restricted = "tau'ri"

[dataitems]
0 = cost,DECIMAL
1 = weight,DECIMAL
2 = hitpoints,DECIMAL
3 = powerconsumed,DECIMAL
4 = max_range,DECIMAL
5 = fire_interval,INTEGER
6 = crew_required,INTEGER

looks amazing, but i still like my guidence scramblers

Okay… so I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is I’ve found the images that I downloaded a few months back, and then promptly lost (yes I know that takes talent on a computer!). The bad news is that I haven’t even started any of the new races. I sincerely blame Team Fortress 2 for this issue… and Bioshock, and Starcraft II, and Borderlands, and Uncharted 2. Anyways, I’ll be starting on the new races today, and should also have a few new modules for the Tau’ri in a few days.

Really love this mod.

I was wondering if anyone would mind uploading their Saved Ships with all the weapons/defense slots filled so I can get an idea of how to best make them. I’m new to the game so I have no idea what I am doing and feel like im just fumbling my way through it. I downloaded the Tau’ri weapons as well, and have almost everything unlocked for the rest.

Thanks

Hi, im new at GSB modding, and i love stargate so i am really interested in this mod. My first problem is, that i dont really know how exactly install these mods. I mean, i donwload the mod itself, but once downloaded and unzipped, the modules folder contains nothing. Is the original mod not containing any new module like the nuke missile? or i need to add it by myself? if thats the case, do i need to create a new module file for the nuke in the modules folder? and where i need to look just for knowing the correct filename of the file?? sorry for asking, i need to know before i mess up my GSB installation :wink:

Yeah, the original mod did not contain any modules. It was just the ships. I’ll be releasing a module pack pretty soon, and will update the original release with a few fixes/changes. The next full release will contain new races (Wraith and Aschen) as well as a number of modules for each.

If you want to throw in your own modules you just have to copy an existing one’s text file, and change the name and values to match what you want to create. Most of the values in the text file are pretty self explanatory, so just experiment around a little bit.

Thx, i figured it out by myself, the mod works, but there are a few bugs that i dont know for sure how to fix, in a battle, some ships (hmm i cant remember if it was the Ares ship) shows white squares instead the hard points (i think), that happens only in some ships, in the case of excalibur class, the engines graphic effect never show up, and i dont know y, maybe is some issue with the placed slot, but i cant know for sure. I tried to open the excalibur hull in the editor mode, but it crashes everytime i try.

Btw, is there any way to add an expansive wave graphic effect or something like that to the nuke missile impact? that will be great :wink: (maybe using the graphic effect produced when a ship is destroyed?).

And by the way, i am pretty sure i will try to mod in a near future, but right now, we all have forgotten some cool races of stargate, we forgot the NOX, and the TOLANS. I think those two will be great in the mod but unfortunately i cant find any schematic/image from any ship (maybe cuz there are no ships know of nox and tolans lol). I really will like to see the ion blaster of the tolans in a ship. And of course the citadel-ship from Atlantis…

Yeah the Ares has a small problem in the hull text file. There is a space between the _ and damaged for the damaged hull image that you just need to delete. I didn’t find this until someone else pointed it out to me because it was nearly impossible to see the extra space with Windows 7’s default font. If you just remove that it will all work fine.

For the Excalibur I would recommend downloading the correct Excalibur hull text file in the first post. It has a more balanced loadout for the Excalibur class, and has the corrected engine glows (they used to run on a different system than they do now).

As for the nukes causing shockwaves well… I’m pretty sure it’s not possible to do that yet. Maybe if Cliffski were to give us slightly deeper access to the core of the game we could start doing stuff like that, but I doubt that’s going to happen because it is really just expecting too much work out of Cliffski for just a few people.

Are you after it being accurate to the show at all, or just something that can win?

Okay guys I’ve got a quick update here. I recently just got a new job after being unemployed since late March. I’m working over 40 hours a week in retail, so I’m basically getting up, going to work, coming home, and sleeping. I’m hoping to find some time in the next week to get some more work done, but no guarantees. I think at the very least I will go ahead and release a module pack with all of my Tau’ri modules in it by the end of the week, so that you guys can mess around with them a bit.

Okay, the module pack will be released on Tuesday. I’m not sure what time as it depends entirely on how badly hungover I am after going out with a few friends for my 21st. I’ve done some rudimentary balancing on most of the modules, and they don’t seem too horribly overpowered in terms of cost to power ratio. The pack will include the Tau’ri drone launcher, Tau’ri ion engine, heavy rail cannon, cruiser rail gun, frigate rail gun (same as cruiser), Tau’ri nuke launcher, Asgard plasma beam, ZPM, Asgard Neutrino Ion Generator, Asgard shield, and Ancient shield. I believe that is all of the ones I have made so far.

On a small side note if anyone has any images of Naquadah generators, starship drives, starship generators, or shield generators let me know. Currently I only have the ZPM using a custom module image, but I would like all the non-weapon modules to have their own images for the full update I do later.

The module pack has been released. You can download it from the first post.

Just a quick update for everyone. I’ve actually managed to get a good bit of work done over the last few weeks. Initially I was using Photoshop to do all the .dds files, but I’ve since switched over to using Paint.NET which is sooooooooo much better for doing these images than Photoshop was. Since it’s easier to work with them I will soon be adding proper damage and hulk images to my mod. That is of course as soon as I figure out how to do proper damage and hulk images!

I’m thinking I should be releasing the Wraith addition within the next month, which will contain 3 frigate class ships, 4 fighter class ships, and 3 cruiser class ships. I will also try to come up with a few Wraith centered modules, and as usual if any of you have any ideas on those through them out (or do your own and post them in this thread).

I’m Not going to complain or anything, This mod is great!
However, I would request/suggest a few changes.
-The Ares Cruiser Has a large number of white squares showing up on it when it takes damage.
-The Tempest Frigate Has no breakup animation.
-Adding The Prometheus as a frigate would make sense, seeing as it is a smaller scale than the Daedalus
-None of the hulls have the class label on their names, though I can manually do that.
-light rail-guns have way too high shield penetration, lore wise.
-I would suggest that drones be in a volley of four, and a longer cool-down, but due to the limit of one missile out at once, there is no way to do that.
-The Nuclear missile when it goes off, has no explosion, If it is possible to do, fix that.

Well, this mod is in beta state. And i think the author is no longer working on it, but dont worry maybe when im done with my actual mod proyects i will re-make this one. U can fix the Ares white squares easily, just modify the references on the txt file of the hull (i cant remember wat was wrong but i have the ares cruiser already fixed). Prometheus cant be a frigate dude, it is a cruiser!! and it is only a bit more small than the daedalus, just modify the size parameters on the hull txt file and u got it. Indeed, like i did the rail guns should have more armour penetration and less shield penetration, u can do that for yourself too.
The drones quantity can be modified in the deployment → right click → change quantity
The nuclear missile has not explosion when it goes off for a simple reason… theres no way we can do that, while clinfski dont upgrade the game with more explosions and possibilites. The nuclear misile is just a regular missile with high damage, and if it doesnt hit before the fuel goes out, the missile just dissapear, like the other missile types.

Ares Cruiser - there is a space between the _ and the word damaged on the Ares_damaged.dds file. I wasn’t able to see in Windows 7 because the default font makes it incredibly hard to notice.
Tempest - At the time there wasn’t a real easy way to do the hull breakup, so I didn’t put one in for the Tempest. This is easy to fix now that Cliffski has released his hull editor, and should you wish to you can do it yourself.
Prometheus - I haven’t found an image of the Prometheus that I have felt is good enough to be put into the mod, so I haven’t added it yet. If I do ever find one I will through it in as a light cruiser that has maybe 1-2 slots more than most frigates, but less weapon slots than a normal cruiser.
Class Labels - Yeah another thing that just didn’t get done when I did the first release. This will also be corrected for the second version.
Railguns - ??? What are you talking about? I would like to point you to this video here… youtube.com/watch?v=4_mIcmI9wIk , where it shows railguns bypassing shields entirely of the Atlantean Replicator Auroras just as I have set them to do in most cases in this mod. The only race who’s shields I haven’t seen railgun rounds passing through are the Ori which is why I have it set to 25 (reflective shield will still deflect them).
Drones - Yes, I wish Cliffski could get the game to allow us to volley fire missiles, but I’m pretty sure that the amount of re-coding that would require is high otherwise he would have done it by now. I simply did the next best thing by giving high movement speed and fast reload.
Nuke - Another case of I wish. This one I don’t expect Cliffski to ever do because it really isn’t worth his time. The only weapons that would use the explosion animation are nukes, and officially there’s only one nuke module in the entire game.

I am still working on the mod, but Halo Reach + school 5 days a week + work on weekends + minecraft has pretty much left me with no extra time left over to work on it. At this point I’m thinking that instead of doing multiple races I’m only going to do two “alliances” much like the Stargate Star Trek Legacy compilation mod. The good guys will be “The Tau’ri Alliance” while the bad guys will be “The Dark Alliance”. The Tau’ri Alliance will consist of the Tau’ri, Asgard and Ancients. The Dark Alliance will consist of the Wraith, Ori, Goa’uld, and possibly Aschen (depends on if I get enough ships to make them their own race).

At this point future updates should go something like this:
This coming update - Wraith hulls + modules
Next update - The Tau’ri Alliance hulls + modules
Next next update - The Dark Alliance hulls + modules
Aschen update - Aschen as their own race or added to The Dark Alliance + modules
Final update - fixes and balancing to anything that hasn’t been corrected by this point

I really have no idea when any of this is going to get done, but it won’t be before I go on winter break which will be near the end of November.

There are no nuke modules on the game, (or i just missed 1 type of weapon and didnt notice??? xD). There are only missile modules. And there is no a specific super big explosion to use so u can say it is a nuke missile.

About the rail gun, u must choose between shield penetration or armour penetration, since rail gun is a high cadence fire weapon , i think u should limit armour penetration or shield penetration. One of it lower than 25. About the prometheus, u are right there are no good sprites available, it is maybe the only ship that doesnt have good enough resolution sprites. I will look into it when the time comes.

What I meant by the nuke module was the Order’s Nuclear Missile weapon module. That is the only nuclear missile weapon that I can think of that is officially in the game.

The railguns only have 8 armor penetration… how much further does it need to go? Anyone dumb enough to have a ship with less then 10 armor is going to get demolished by fighters anyways, so it doesn’t really make a huge difference. Besides they only do 2 damage, so it takes a while to get through enemy armor even getting critical hits, and takes even longer to go through an enemy ship’s hp. Basically they are exactly like Cruiser Lasers except that a cruiser laser does 20 damage over a 430 fire interval while the cruiser railgun does 17.2 damage while having the same range. The biggest difference between the two is that the optimal range of the railgun is 300 vs 400 with the Cruiser Laser which makes perfect sense since it is supposed to be used as an anti-fighter weapon above all else.