Tactical Module? WTF?

What’s a tactical module? I peeked through the game’s files and saw that there was a tactical module. i opened it’s text file, and it said hidden = 1. so, i checked that to 0, and checked it out. this is it’s description: “If you found this, there is a big somewhere. Oh noes.” I thought that it might have meant bug, because it doesn’t seem to do anything… yet. at first, i also thought it was something that came with my star wars mod, then i looked at strings.ini, and found that there was an order for tactical. i’m going to try it out. EDIT: Crashes the game. I equipped it to one of my fighter squadrons, but there was no order for it anymore, which is strange, and the game crashed mid-loading with an error saying that it’s an unknown type module. i’m guessing its type was removed, 'cause the file said this: ModuleType = SIM_TacticalModule. Or something like that. was that canceled like the demo battle, cliff?

I think it’s more a bug hunting tool, probably from way back in the game’s development or something. You’re always supposed to see something else as the starting selection, so if you see that selected, there’s a problem.

I’ve once seen it selected in my ship screen (in v1.21) and laughed at the description, very informal. I wasn’t able to get it to appear again though, so I didn’t bother with a bug report :slight_smile:

The tactical module is invisible and not physical, and ignored, but in code terms every ship always has one, and it is vital, because it’s what houses the ships AI.
In programming terms, each module is an object that gets processed, and normally they do stuff visual, like draw laser beams, or keep track of hull damage, but when its the tactical modules turn to get processed, it picks where the ship goes and decides on that ships main targets etc. Implementing this as a hidden module makes the code much neater.
So don’t fiddle with it :smiley:

ah. ok.

IT’S THAR BRAIN AWRF THAR SHAIPS DURRR NURR TUOCHS DHAT SHIAT!!! DURR NURR MWASSS WHYT THAR HEEDS DURRRR!!!

-THIS POST WAS PROVIDED BY THAR NURR DURR NARBULA CRAATURESS!!1-

…WTF?!

Basically I said: “It’s their brain of their ships do not touch that shit! Do not mess with their heads!” “Do not nebula creatures.”

^^

well, i understood the first sentence, but after that? holy crap…

ME LIEK TEH BUHGZ (not really.)
Yeah, don’t mess with it. I crashed the game touching it, just leave it there.

OHKAIZ AIH DEEDENT MEESS WEETH TEH TAIKTIKEL TANG!!

i’ll give you time to figure out what my nebula creatures just said…

Okay I didn’t mess with the tactical thing

correct :smiley:

HE SAI BOOM

yes. yes, he says boom.