Test Patch 1.18 now

Agh, that’s not the problem. it’s version 1.18, but i guess my computer doesn’t recognize either the UI (if it changed) or the wipe transitions. judging from the error, though, i think it’s the transition. if i uninstall it then reinstall it AGAIN, (i did that already) it would just create more work for me, for i would have to re-do the mods i did. but would any changes be made? like, would the game stop freezing when i click anything? I’m only willing to reinstall it if i get an answer for that. BTW, did you look at the error i posted? the one most recent? 'cause that’s the one.

Ahahaha. So you don’t have enough memory for that extra screen. Dang. I am going to have to make them optional, and maybe detect certain conditions and disable them. What video card do you have BTW?

I’m observing some oddness installing the patch on a Windows7 machine.

My original install (v1.17) went to C:\Program Files\Positech Games\Gratuitous Space Battles.
This is where it installed by default when I got it through Impulse.

v1.18 default installed to C:\program Files\Gratuitous Space Battles Beta.

So I’ve got both versions now, but my shortcut is still aimed at the original *.exe, because the patch didn’t include a new shortcut to overwrite the old.

Has the version dl’ed through Impulse got different directory pathing than the patch push?
It certainly seems that it does, but is it supposed to?

Have all patches so far been pushed to the same directory? Is it the Impulse version that’s… off?

Obviously, shortcut item is a nonissue if this is just a dir mismatch caused by installer differences, but I wanted to be thorough.

Cheers!

yes, there is a topic about this, linked from the patch topic, basically the patch assumes its in the normal folder (the one without positech in it) and you need to correct the path when the patch runs. You can always re-run the patch in the right place.
The patches get downloaded to MyDocuments\MyGames\Gratuitous Space Battles\patches

Ok. Easy enough to correct. Thanks, mate.

Another thing I just noticed- I can’t run the new version- the installer didn’t include the fmodex.dll.
I’ll just drop a copy of my old fmodex in the new install folder, but if each patch is intended to be a stand-alone, complete installation of the game, this might warrant looking into.

EDIT
Ok, recycling the v1.17 fmodex.dll really didn’t work.
GSB failed to launch rather spectacularly, locking up my computer until alt+f4’ed the stuck app.
So I’m back to a patch installer that isn’t proving me with a crucial file.

Help?

You are definitely installing it using the wrong thing, or in the wrong place. The patch does not install fmodex.dll, the main game does.
Just uninstall everything completely, and reinstall the game using impulse. Then put in your serial code and username, so the game connects online ok. It will then download the latest patch and run it the next time it runs (although it only checks once per day).
When the patch runs, just change the folder its installing to so its the one that impulse installed it to (which include ‘positech games’ in the title.
Then everything will work fine.
It’s not possible to swap people who bought through impulse to get the positech installer.
Also… you probably find that if you reinstall from impulse now its 1.18 anyway, because they got the up to date build today.

Ok, uninstall/reinstall worked, with Impulse pushing v1.18 as the standard dl.
Thanks for bearing with me through that stuff!

I don’t like that wipe effect either which you can see in menus.

It is a nice idea indeed but it really isn’t working well. Why? Because it slows down the UI even more and UIs should always be fast and easy to navigate. For example in UT3 it has these sliding menu buttons, when you click, for example, single player the menu buttons get drawn to the right side of the screen and new menu buttons get pushed out of there. At first I didn’t like this at all because it slowed down the navigating but I got used to it quite quickly because this transition only took less than a second.

In GSB that wipe effect takes a lot more than a second so it’s not good that way. If it either was a lot faster, it could be a lot more bearable but then in the other hand it could just make it look even worse.

I would like to have at least an options button for it to turn it off. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also I noticed that the game is missing a sound file for certain laser (or at least it looked and sounded like it). See for yourself: Video’s download link

Download the file and watch it. That alien race which I’m fighting against has this greenish slim looking laser turret on that frigate and when it fires it doesn’t play a sound, or at least I can’t hear it. Also around 1:10 you can clearly hear how the explosion sound bounces between left and right speaker because the screen shakes so much and so rapidly.

argh… the wipe - it’s pretty the first time, but when navigating menus? please please please please please please put in an option to remove it. that quite honestly is the sort of thing that makes me not want to run games :frowning:

still getting "unexpected error: " with “yes/no” buttons… that really needs fixing before release, or at least have it say something coherent.

hmmm, can’t seem to find the current video card. either that, or i can, just don’t know it. not that good with computers. anyway, this is the amount of memory i have (if it helps): (this may contain what the vid card is) 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I’m not able to do a new patch today or tomorrow but shortly after that I’ll patch in an option for the wipe transition.

Edit: I’ve coded it as an option, and done the UI, and have a fallback for if it crashes (basically if it crashes it gets turned off in future) but I dare not check it in until I am here to do it properly and test it, which will be Sunday :frowning:
If you were using large screen resolutions, and the transition crashes, reducing the res by editing the config file may fix it.

hmmm. I’ll try that, thx. EDIT: The only option to change the res is in the actual game. i went to config.txt, i didn’t see any option for changing the res. but i hope the idea for the fallback works out! all i have to do is wait 'till sunday.

prefs.ini

aha. thanks, works now. although now my view is a bit smaller, (making for a bit harder gameplay) i’ll be excited to have that as an option so i can go back to full res

I was away for a day (Birthday!) but I’m back now, I’ll hope to get a patch done by tomorrow, maybe tonight, that fixes this.

Heh. :slight_smile: I hope you had a nice birthday.

Anyway, I checked the errors.txt file and the first two lines are back from the time when I tried applying my username without the serial.

14/10/2009 - 13::41 - SIM_SERVER: Failed to find reg code when trying to apply username:…\src\SIM_Server.cpp 358
14/10/2009 - 13::51 - SIM_SERVER: Failed to find reg code when trying to apply username:…\src\SIM_Server.cpp 358

And then there are just hunders of lines of:

21/10/2009 - 20::31 - D3DEngine Restore Failed
21/10/2009 - 20::31 - D3DERR_INVALIDCALL

I think those lines are caused by the black screen error when the game tries to load up the game but it keeps failing and then game just keeps repeating.

This is an attempt to alt+tab and back from fullscreen I presume?
I just checked in a patch which lets you turn off the transitions, BTW.

Hard to say right off the hand but I think most likely.

I would love to see the ship orders working a little better.
designated target percentages dont always look to be followed
as well, I dont see the vulture or cooperative fuction working too well

The link to the patch just takes me back to the home page. Is the patch not available now?

Never mind. I see there is another patch out.