Inspired by this thread http://www.positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5352 and my understanding of the SAC tournaments (however wrong that might be).
Actually just want to say a word of compliment to the SAC inventor and community. Comments like:
Shows that you have done your job well and created more fun than the challenge system (not that there is anything wrong with the challenge system) provided by default.
I hope the same has been true for my DuelDowns. It certainly has been for me.
This is why I suggest codifying it into the game so everyone can play. I tried to play SAC 1 but couldn’t find all the challenges (and in the current challenge system it is just too hard). I would also say this is true of the DuelDowns, people forget to post their costs and they have a hard time finding the entry point (and DLC is getting in the way).
But all that aside, I’d like to introduce or clarify my concept of the Never Ending Challenge.
The first Never Ending challenge is called:
NEC 1 (see challenge forum) The Never Ending Challenge 1
Rules (if I may be so bold)
- Play each challenge in order:
[list][*] NEC 1 preceeds NEC 1-1 which preceeds NEC 1-2 and so on…
- Save your fleet (because they’re all on the same map you’ll be able to load it for each challenge).
Do not alter your fleet between challenges (or after the final challenge), if you do:
- Save you fleet.
- Go back to NEC 1 and start over (load your saved fleet for each challenge).
Challenges you can’t play:
- DLC (a race) you don’t have, you can skip that challenge.
- Challenges you can’t download, please report them, and skip.
If you win every challenge:
- Post your fleet as NEC 1-X, where X is one greater than the challenge you just beat (the last one).
- The names should be NEC 1, NEC 1-1, NEC 1-2, NEC 1-3, NEC 1-4, NEC 1-5, and so on…
- Post from the challenge you beat (so the map does not change).
- Make sure you post to “All”, these aren’t personal challenges as in the DuelDowns.
No back to back posts:
- If you have the last challenge in the chain, don’t post until after someone else has.
Search as carefully as possible to make sure there are no other fleets on the end of the chain:
- Concurrency will occur, if there are two NEC 1-5s you can beat either one before moving to NEC 1-6.
- Sort by “Taunts” and by “Maps” to find the next NEC map.
I probably haven’t thought of everything, and your input is welcome.
Now a word about NEC 1. It’s just a fleet, nothing special. All of you can beat it. I have tried to use some of my best ship designs from the DuelDowns and before. I am not good at fighters.
But the real challenge of this Never Ending challenge will come in the differences between fleets. You might beat NEC 1 with ease but NEC 1-1 could be awesome. And sure after a couple of reworks you can beat both NEC 1 and NEC 1-1 with ease. And lets say you sail through the next three. Then you hit NEC 1-5, and it decimates you.
You’ll have to rework your fleet, not just to beat NEC 1-5 but all the fleets before it as well.
I hope you have as much fun with this as I will, and I hope to see your fleet in the chain.