The potential DLC design ideas thread

I do think the Situation Room is a great idea; we already have some election mechanics in game, but the Situation Room seems to flesh out a part of the game that is sorely lacking. Plus, it seems easy enough to use the decision tree model to perhaps also expand on foreign policy and war.

1 Like

Yes, for example what i was thinking was that, letā€™s say you start as US in 2003 and you essentialy fight the Iraq war by making decisions, adjusting sliders and appointing generals in the situation room, the actual map itself is there mostly so you can click on other countries without needing to have big list.

2 Likes

Decalring war would require massive political capital and there would also be other countries and the UN pressuring you to get a ceasefire, the way it would work is while youā€™re at war it would be a negative situation depending on how well or poorly youā€™re doing, and you would be able to send peace offers from the situation room, and if you annex land you will have to deal with a lot more resistance and terrorism.

2 Likes

These are good ideas, but Cliff has stated that they would be too complex to implement, although alternative proposals like yours have been suggested. Something like this like multiplayer should be playtested as compatible with the system of D4. If it works it should be implemented. So, Iā€™m all for your idea.

I donā€™t see why the situation room mechanic or map would be too complex, these are essentially just GUI stuff, all the actual effects would be possible to model trough the current simulation system, he already said that historical start dates are doable by modders so those are definitely feasible.

my idea was that you would get all the effects of war/trade deals etcā€¦ trough situations, and the situation room would just be a fancier version of the current decision system, and an ability to hire generals like you hire ministers.

How would war be represented in D4? Military funding boost? Decision Trees?

I guess they want a dlc on the war and Iā€™m hoping for different start dates as well

if we go with my idea then a big decision tree in the situation room, a ā€œat warā€ modifier, that gives you:
antiwar movement situation if you donā€™t have high support for the war, terrorism/resistance (if youā€™re occupying enemy land), a Inernational/UN pressure situation unless you had a valid casus beli or if the casualties are super high, Allies/Foreign support if you have high foreign relations, and a general ā€œwarā€ situation that gives you negative modifiers if your territory is getting occupied.

Wether you win depends on the generals you appoint and decisions you take in the situation room and also on military spending and intelligence agency.
also new ā€œMobilizationā€, ā€œWar Measuresā€ and ā€œAutarkyā€ policies, being at war gives you automatic emergency powers (that you can lose if it drags on for too long) and going to war is 50-70 political capital depending on the size of enemy, and signing the peace treaty also costs political capital.

The ability to use political capital + foreign relations to get temporary ceasefires and truces.
Finnaly the ability to promise to stat/end wars in the manifesto pledges, additional media stunts, and the ability to give war-related speeches.

I think that this is a good idea, but it could be that this would require much effort from Cliff and he might put it in a DLC, if he decides to implement it. So I think that you should pitch it to him as a DLC idea.

well duh, this is the ā€œpotential DLC ideas threadā€, thatā€™s why i posted it here @cliffski

I realized that after I posted my comment. :slight_smile:

Actually, a pacifist movement, as a situation in response to stuff could be super interesting.
I was messing around with mockups for situation room stuff like this: (not in game, just a photoshopping)

Iā€™ve been thinking that time-limited decisions might be really interesting, as its a complete flip of the normal ā€˜do your analysis and take your timeā€™ feel of the game, and is a way to reflect the dual modes of politics: where getting anything done takes years, but simultaneously you could be sprung any minute into a decision that has to be taken in minutes and is life-or-death.

(above mockup is simple as it implies a single decisionā€¦ but something like this could have further steps. Maybe watch and wait gives you a higher confidence in the analysis, but you miss the opportunity to ensure the plane goes down in a rural areaā€¦)

3 Likes

Time constraint sounds interesting but unsure how it would actually feel like when encountered while playing. I donā€™t think it will have negative impacts on gameplay experience but beware that you do not to spend too much time & efforts implementing and testing it.

1 Like

WOW! Iā€™ts very cool, shoot down the plane now what mean?

Iā€™m here only to say than a containment building can withstand being hit by a plane without compromising the safe operation of the reactor.

1 Like

This is only one event?

1 Like

In theory yes. In practice: Nobody has crashed an a380 super jumbo into an operating reactor soā€¦ maybe? In theory the twin towers could withstand a plane hitting them too.

But even if hypothetically, the containment building is intact, the rest of the power station, including offices, and support facilities are probably engulfed in aviation fuel fires and effectively destroyed. The reactor may not go critical, and it may be possible to safely shut it down, but you are talking months of rebuilding and years of re-testing, and planning and verification before such a powerplant would operate again.

So the economic impact would be serious, and the terror-impact on peopleā€™s perceived security and safety would be serious too. I suspect energy prices would spike heavily too, and there would be calls for better defenses for such facilities.

It would be bad :D.

1 Like

I think the key is for it to absolutely feel different, so its clearly an optional thing (not everyone would want this DLC), and adds a twist on the normal gameplay.

2 Likes

Maybe here there may not be any benefit to watching and waiting, but will there be in other events?

I also recommend some light-hearted events, because the game has become awfully serious.

1. Rescue cute puppy stuck in minefield.

OR

1. Civil servant could be a Russian Spy!
1 Like

I love that show, especially the one about trident nuclear weapons

1 Like