the ultimate modding support suggestion thread

If u make a machine type gun, it will be ridiculous to hear 1 bullet sound and then another bullet without sound. Almost i think it will be less fited to the weapon.

It wouldn’t be turning sound on and off, it would be playing different sounds for each bullet to add a bit of variation.

i think that i have the best suloution to most of our modding problems!

it involves modding core files, such as the bullet.dds

i dont understand exactly how coding works, but i think that i have the right idea.

in the source code of gsb, its written that the bullets will be drawn from a file thats named “bullets.dds” and where this is located.

what if, it was told to look in the race folder first. for example, if i were to place a new file called “bullets.dds” in the order folder, with diferent looking bullets than in the original .dds in the data folder. then all modules that are in the order folder would draw from that file instead!

i hope it makes sense, if it doesnt just ask.

but this would solve all of our problems that involves changing core files.

thoughts?

This was brought up before and I think the Cliff’s objection was that the way things are handled means that multiple source files (like bullets.dds) would slow down the game. I can see a couple ways round it, and it would be negligible on almost any machine, but in the end it is Cliff’s decision. Maybe he’ll change his mind :slight_smile:

projectile weapon

what separates this from bullets, is that its actually simulated. after the projectile has beed shot out of the weapon, anything can happen…

if a ship explodes, the projectile will perhaps change course and even hit another ship! speed, weight and size will determine the damage the projectile has. if an explothion occur, so that the projectile would slow down, it will deal less damage to the enemy…

this would give a reason for other types of modules, such as an shockwave defence field. that would slow down the projectile or alter its course.

not for gsb of course, but perhaps for G4 or gsb2?

More visual effects for Hulls

We have some visual effects like lights, transparency (swarm) and tractor beams (order)… but what about animated sections? like tentacles, claws, rotating sections, directionable engines (more maneuverability) and, more important for some cases, Distortion Effects like:
>Smoke effect (for shadow ships)
>Fluctuation effect (like Dents but with movement)
>Liquid effect, like the filter used in R-Type Mod
>Etc etc etc

the possibillity so add stacking bonuses, someone said those are not possible.

These babies work well for me…

[code][config]

classname = “SIM_ShieldModule”

name = “cluster_shield”
guiname = “Cluster Shield”
description = “…”

size = “CRUISER”
slot_type = STANDARD
category = “DEFENSES”
uisortpos = 10

icon = module_shield_light.dds

lockable = 0
unlockcost = 0

cost = 100
weight = 50.0
hitpoints = 100

crew_required = 10
powerconsumed = 10.0

recharge_rate = 0.005
resistance = 18
shieldpoints = 100

stack_effectiveness = 1.10

[dataitems]
0 = cost,DECIMAL
1 = weight,DECIMAL
2 = hitpoints,DECIMAL
3 = powerconsumed,DECIMAL
4 = shieldpoints,DECIMAL
5 = crew_required,INTEGER
6 = resistance,DECIMAL
7 = recharge_rate,DECIMAL_MULT,1000
[/code]
You can’t see in-game a stack over 100% but the game shows I’m getting over 700 of shield strenght with only 5 stacked.

Wow.
I hadn’t considered positive stacking. Interesting. It looks like all that is needed is me to change GUI code to correctly display positive stacking then? That can easily be done.

indeed. it’s funny to read this, because I’ve got this on my todo list for my next game. I’ll try and get it added to GSB too.

Extremely happy face! :smiley:

Currently positive stacking does not work in game. While the number shown on stat is a giant number, It’s cap at 100% in battle.

A simple test I ran was something with massive stack and low shield strength, while screen shows few thousand shield strength, in game it gets knock out by one cruiser missile.

the multiple file thing could work for effects too.

if you have a double beam weapon and want the beams to fire one at a time, for example.

Crap, I never ran tests with low strength values to see if it worked in-game. I thought the stats in the editor where reliable :confused:

I’ve coded and tested multiple sound files per module, but they are always randomly picked, you don’t have control over that.
So the syntax is

sound = "data/sounds/lightning1.ogg,data/sounds/lightning2.ogg,data/sounds/lightning3.ogg"

if you have multiple varieties. It will be in build 1.56

Support for positive stacking is done, it will be in 1.56 too. That will be a few weeks, because it will be rolled into a campaign update adding some extra maps.

Yay thanks Cliff :smiley:

OMG OMG OMG YAAAAAY :smiley:
MOAR SOUNDS, MOAR POSIBILITIES, MOAR MAAAAPS :smiley:
I love you cliff, marry me?
xP

Multiple sounds gave me a idea, relationed with syntethized voice :wink:

Super Shield/Armour Penetration

Oook, as far as i know, a weapon with a 80% of Armour penetration, will do the 80% of the total damage of the weapon to that armour, BUT what about something like 200% Armour Penetration? then the weapon will do the double of the total damage ONLY to the armour, without needing of exagerated damage values.
Really needed :wink:

Nope that’s not how armor works. Armor is all or nothing. You either above the armor strength, which deals full damage, or you are below the armor strength, which deals damage 2% of the time through crit.