So I picked up this game a couple of days ago and I’m really liking it so far; but it has some problems which are preventing more of a positive response - maybe I’m doing something wrong, but anyway, these are my thoughts and I hope they come across as constructive.
I’m mostly frustrated with the money side of it; you can go from doing well to going out of business without actually changing anything which means speeding up the game for more than a few seconds is too risky. You can’t easily control costs, and sales appear to occur at random so you can’t get a smooth curve.
I feel at the moment like the game is more luck based than skill as far as whether it decides to order in stupid parts that aren’t needed / stop selling cars completely. Really, limiting parts purchases is a big research project?!
- Some of the tile, er… textures(?) are a bit busy. It makes it hard to see what’s going on - it would be nice to be able to select a simpler set of tiles, and maybe colour floor tiles like in Big Pharma.
- Sometimes some of the overhead belts and occasional other graphics glitch a bit (don’t appear properly), when you zoom in/out it fixes itself.
- The conveyor belts themselves don’t move; it would be quite nice if they did.
- I’m sure it’s not been a massive consideration given the stage of development but the constant drone of the factory is a bit annoying
- The complete absence of any sounds of robots assembling, hammering, moving, people chatting etc from the different areas is a bit weird.
- Sometimes I simply can’t delete overhead rail lines (specifically) without deleting everything else in a square, you simply can’t select it.
- I’m not a fan of the weird tetris meta game and nor was I in Big Pharma; it seems to go against the notion of efficient design. Can you see a real life car maker accepting as much dead space and long winded conveyor systems as we have to, in order to get things moving around? No, they’d redesign their assembly plants to keep things compact and use up all available floor space.
- Related to above - there was a post in suggestions about modular assembly plants which I think is a very, very good idea - that way players get even more fine control over how their factories work and look.
- Constantly having to click into the car tab and adjust pricing up and down is annoying - I’m just watching a number and having to respond to it’s random whims. I’d rather the pricing was automated based on the level of features I am offering in each car compared to the market. With marketing efforts (desirability, brand etc) meaning I can squeeze a little more profit out of each vehicle.
- Sales are too lumpy/based on RNG - I’m sure it’s realistic but if I’m selling 6 cars an hour just guarantee me one every 10 mins; the problem is occasionally and for no reason, you’ll just stop selling cars and run out of money from having several hundred thousand. And then you’ll sell 4 at once.
- Meanwhile, your stupid factory managers or whoever they are, continue to order in new parts non-stop even when it’s going to drain the coffers dry. Unless you delete resource importers to try and stop the spending, and lose 30k each time you need to do it.
- Cash is constantly changing so much that you never really know what the trend is (the graph doesnt help, one minute you’re making a healthy profit and the next a crushing loss and seemingly there is nothing you can do about it but accept the fate of RNG)
- Don’t force me to take a loan if I run out of money; give me an overdraft based on the value of my assets and charge me for being in it, but loans just make everything worse. I wasn’t making money before, so why make me take on additional payments that I can’t afford? What kind of bank would do that?
- Let me pay off loans early when I can afford it - even if there is a fee.
- The only way to stop importing resources at least as far as I’ve got at the moment is to delete resource importers and lose half the cash they cost, but if I don’t - I go out of business because they won’t stop importing even when I have no cash. It would be nice to be able to switch them off for a bit.
- In fact, it would be nice to be able to switch off any machine, to help cure temporary bottlenecks and prevent wasting cash continuing to build when you have a line full of unfinished cars. All I can do right now is delete a section of conveyor.
- It would be nice to be able to throttle machines to produce at any speed up to their maximum output, although that might make things too easy; right now things are needlessly hard - again, real car makers would fine tune the speed of their workstations to keep them busy and never idle.
- Machines immediately lose half their value which is annoying when I misplace them in pause mode, and have to delete them without ever having unpaused. Maybe I could move them; or maybe they should have a steadily declining asset worth as they age, so that if they’re literally brand new, they still sell for 90-95% of their cost.
- Deleting stockpiles or machines that have stock should give me the money back for the stock.
- Rather than going straight into robots, we could start with human assembly plants and eventually have an upgrade path into robots; but to make it more interesting - give robots/humans some distinct advantages/disadvantages - say, robots are expensive to buy and cheap to run, humans are cheap to hire and expensive to run at a simplistic level.
- It would be nice if car colour did make a difference to consumers; say every few days the ‘fashionable’ colour changed randomly.
- I need to see what cars competitors are offering. I need car reviews to let me know what customers think of my models compared to the market.