So far I like the game, it definetely has a potential.
Let me suggest some improvments, which will improve the gameplay experience. I’ll keep comparing Redshirt to Kudos 1 i 2, as I love those games and I find Redshirt similar in meaning and gameplay:
- Events searching - it needs filters, which will let the player find the events giving him required skill / interest. I know Kudos didn’t have filters, but here the events have much more influence on game outcome. Especially hollo(w)deck, which is a kind of training.
- Penalties for events - when someone reject the invitation, because the player is too low level or simply don’t like a player, -10 happines is fine. But if someone reject the invitation because “we did it recently”, the penalty should be much lower (-3 perhaps?). Also maybe we could see during invitations if someone did the event recently? In Kudos we didn’t see it, but the rejection because something was done recently was before and didn’t influence the player (actually player got few positive relations points). Here, we not only loose the happines, but we don’t gain relations points. Also Radus and Styggron correctly pointed out, that “busy” people still complain about lack of invitation.
- Items in inventory - Styggron and Radus already mentioned the need discarding items is unnecessary, used up items should simply disappear or better resale at lets say 50% value?. Items list is quite unfinished for me - there are only two kind of food, and only few one-time items which stays in inventory. Rest is 5-days expiration, and this seems quite unbalanced for me.
- “I dont like someone on Your spacebook list” - come on, this is plain crazy. If you have a lot of friends (I have 16 now), you simply cant make good event. Half of people hate second half, and I need to “unfriend” four people to have “clear” friends list. This feature (why not, it’s crazy but funny) should have a warning system, either information during creating events, or during an event (something like “I came to this even this time because I like You, but You should know I don’t like person XXXXX and next time I’ll make a lot of mess about it”). Also, why there is no gratification for inviting people who like each other? Like extra happines for example? (something like “I love guy YYYYYY and I had great fun, thanks for inviting him”)
- General warnings/informations system - it needs tweaking. Player is keept in dark about people’s relations (I know, we can check it, but it takes a lot of time). Something like warnings about “don’t like” features would be nice. Also there is a discussion on another topic about help pop-ups - this would be great!
- Social circle (new from last version) - good idea, but frankly Kudos 2 friends tree was something I could call “ideal” - it shows much more information. In general - social circle is not much of an use for me. Romance reminder “not interacted” - great stuff, keep it.
- Events outcome - ok, I know this is not “Kudos in Space”, but I loved the idea of activities outcome varying because of people’s characters. I miss it here. Maybe there should be some influence on the outcome depending on invited people skills / interests?
I’ll keep updating this post (unless someone says “stop, we have enough of your rambling!” ). Please excuse me my english, I’m not a native speaker.