Updated to build 1.34. 2 new policies & more. Full details

Here is what has changed today in the latest version of Democracy 4 :smiley:

[1.34]

1. National service now reduces unemployment.
  2. Banning coal now has vastly different impacts on GDP, CO2 Emissions and Oil Demand depending on the country.
  3. Support for new overrides that adjust political capital costs.
  4. Stem cells and Handgun laws now twice as easy to adjust in every country but USA.
  5. The impact of Debt Crisis on inflation and business confidence is now much worse at a high level of debt.
  6. Increased the impact of Multinational Tax Evasion on income from sales and corporation taxes.
  7. The player now gets reminded about poor voter perceptions less frequently.
  8. Coalition partners will now not make more than one policy change offer on the same policy, to stay consistent.
  9. Coalition offers that are accepted now correctly count towards voter accusations of policy reversals if you are inconsistent.
  10. Sliders now drawn red and locked, and cancel option grayed out when you have accepted a coalition offer this turn on a policy.
  11. Added 2 new policies: Ban tobacco and Ban alcohol, and presets for each country.
  12. Rebalanced events to make some more likely, some less likely.
  13. The points on the voter approval/voting intentions chart now show percentages as tooltips.(Thanks to Chantern15 for idea).
  14. Rebalanced some dilemmas, and situations. Pollution,Gig Economy & Tech advantage now have a higher trigger and stop level.
  15. Negative impacts of GDP now skewed more strongly at high values of GDP.
  16. It is easier to scroll up and down the load game list using the mousewheel now.

All comments on the changes made this update are most welcome!

4 Likes

Hoorah, I will have a huge curiosity what happens on the next though.

It seemed to me that the reduction in unemployment at max rate derived from the national service was bit low, so I decided to check them a bit and now a Iโ€™m going to share what I have seen, starting from the derivation.

Letโ€™s start with definitions:

• e: employment (can be seen as 1-unemployment)
  • w: employed workforce
  • a: total workforce (employed and unemployed)
  • v: population that can be conscripted ( separated in va, that takes age in acount, and vb,that takes fitness in acount)
  • T: time that is being concripted

Now we can see that:
e=w/a
When conscription gets in place:
eโ€™=w/aโ€™
With aโ€™ and v being:
aโ€™=(1-vT)a ,(the part of the workforce not being conscripted at any time)
v=va*vb
So:
eโ€™=w/(1-vT)a=e/(1-vT)=e/(1-vavbT)

Now letโ€™s take some numbers:

• From nowadays numbers in Spain, calculated as workers aged 20 to 40/50 divided by workers aged 20 to 65 we get that it is in the range of 0.39 to 0.66.
  • In Switzerland a periodic national service is currently on place and aproximatelly 0.8 of those who are in age to be concripted are fitted enough.
  • We can asume that a hard aproach regarding concription could be one moth of a year serving the army so, it would be 1/12 or 0.083.

If we run those numbers we would get:
Conscripted until 40 eโ€™=1.0267e (2.67% decrease in unemployment)
Conscripted until 50 eโ€™=1.0453e (4.53% decrease in unemployment)

So I say that the current figure of 3% at max is a bit low, and that maybe the influence of the national service on unemployment cold be affected by health, youth percentage or the retirement age, with all of them reducing the amount of unemployment.

1 Like