I’ve long loved the rural development grants policy! I like the option to balance GDP growth and development.
I also think it would be great to see an Urban Development Grants policy, as well. As I see it, this would do the following:
- Increase GDP
- Reduce car trips
- Increase bus use
- Increase rail use (this is less logical, but the idea is that people in cities with greater access to rail transit)
- Increase air travel (same as above; greater access to airports in this case)
- Improve popularity among youth
- Decrease popularity among farmers
- Reduce Farmer’s membership
- Reduce generational wealth gap
- Increase risk of housing boom (this would suggest that public investment in social housing is needed to counteract inequities)
What do people think? What other impacts should such a policy have?