Will Not Update

My “auto-update” feature stopped working (actually a long time ago), but up until now my workaround has just been to go to my download link from my purchase email and re-download the install file each time a patch was released. Now my BMT Micro link has expired an I am no longer able to re-download the new install files, so I have no way to update.

What should I do to try and get my auto-update working again?

Thanks…Redd

I’ve re-activated your direct download, so that should be an option again. The update is only not going to work if the game cannot connect to the server. Make sure you don’t have a firewall or other software that blocks it from connecting.

Thanks Cliff,

Downloaded the new update and re-tweaked my Firewall again…guess I’ll have to reset it each time I reinstall. Hopefully that’s got it!!

Can’t wait for the new campaign!

i seem to have the same problem

I think I know when it started and am sure it is not a firewall problem (tried turning off)

installed GSB in teh default location on a new PC (old one died) realized my mistake and uninstalled but only after I had activated the game and the auto update feature had updated the game

then re-installed in the location I wanted

teh registry has stored that I had already entered the activation code and the game is already activated in the new location

the autoupdate feature now does not seem to even try to update.

as game is not updating race packs do not work either. version stuck at 1.30

have had a lok at the debug text and it looks as though it is getting through to the server.

this is from a fresh install on the same PC in teh default location

----DEBUG FILE----
Windows XP detected
GSB Debug File. App version Full 1.30
Desktop resolution is 1600 x 900
Initialising Direct3D
Initialising global vertex buffer
creating render targets
success in initialising 3D
Checking for application update
response,true,

message,gratuitousspacebattles/server/patches/5234785623144/GSBPatch147.exe

message,gratuitousspacebattles/server/patches/5234785623144/GSBPatch147.exe

Initialising Direct Input
Finished Initialising Direct Input
Initialising Sound Engine
Initialised Sound System with 512 channels

Finished Initialising Sound Engine

releasing D3D engine
D3D released
END DEBUG—

it has picked up that there is a new patch but does not seem to try and download it

with this version of the game only the Order and the Tribe races will work. installing the swarm or nomads causes a crash on launch

thanks to Cliffski for re-enabling my download. can now play with the new races

you don’t get this level of support from the big names

After seeing the new races that were added since I played last and the upcoming gratuitous campaign, I decided to try out GSB again, but I am having the same issues as above. I still seem to be stuck on patch “Full 1.36”, though I am not running a firewall, so I am not sure how to fix this problem…

I bet it’s already downloaded, and you happened to cancel it with a keystroke by mistake. It won’t download it again. Check the \my documents\my games\gratuitous space battles\patches folder.

Nope, I don’t even seem to have a patches section in that folder. Just my ships, campaignprogress, etc.

EDIT: Not using steam version either, my client is pretty old for GSB.

you should be able to re-download the whole game installer and re-install it, that is always the very latest version.

Considering how long ago I purchased it, how does one go about doing that? Is there a guide somewhere…?

you got an email with a download link when you first bought the game, if you cant find it, email me at cliff@positech.co.uk