Zoom button

A few days ago I left a comment on the new developer update video on Youtube in which I suggested a zoom button for people who play on a small screen and for when a lot of new policies get added to the game with mods. @cliffski already told me a zoom button would be quite complicated to make but I still wanted to leave my concept for a zoom button here and ask if there are more people who would like a zoom button added to the game.

5 Likes

Even a zoom functionality would be great. If we could just scroll our mouse wheel and do the zooming in and zooming out.

1 Like

Personally I am quite accustomed to playing with the current set up but I will confess that, even though Cliffski has done a great job in trying to “weight” icons, there tends to be some that are so tiny they are easily missed (usually a relatively un-influencial statistic that has a low value).

Functionally a scroll-wheel zoom and the ability to click and drag would be an intuitive implementation (I am visualising navigating large maps like you do in Paradox games as an example), but honestly, even tabs for “economy” “transport”, “situations” etc where ONLY the items in that area are displayed would be pleasant to have since information overload can be daunting on the “home” screen :smiley:

Ultimately, when it comes to my personal preferences, it’s going to be anything Quality of Life first, anything modding support second, and anything content third.
Features like zooming, ‘dictator mode’ (the game doesn’t end when losing elections), ‘debug mode’ (the ability to view hidden values), shortcut keys, being able to tab between text-boxes and so on are the sorts of things I’d like to see. Anything that cannot be added with mods.

Modding Support it comes more down to pushing the limits of what is currently possible (e.g. using full equations in overrides that impact political capital cost of specific policies).

Content wise… countries, policies, situations, events, dilemmas, I think they’re nice, but at least these are things that can be modded in the event Cliffski doesn’t actually add whatever it is that people want.

5 Likes

This suggestion should be a post by itself.

1 Like

This thread deserves a cliff tag :wink:

1 Like

It just occured to me that it might be possible to do a local-focus zoom…
In other words, rather than manually zoom in and out in areas, the game could take the nearest X circles to the cursor and make them bigger… BUT in the way that it currently makes icons bigger or smaller…with other icons adjusting accordingly.

So waving your mouse over some icons would effectively grow the things you are looking at automatically.
I may have a mad urge to try it out at some point, because in my mind this looks super cool :smiley:

4 Likes

This sounds kind of like a magnifiying glass feature. Having the ability to zoom in on certain areas would be a good feature to implement.

2 Likes

Turns out it might be a nightmare to code, but will make a note to revisit this…

2 Likes