The 🇨🇦 Canada feedback and balance thread

I checked the canadian space agency, but their budget is only $80million per quarter, which is below the minimum spend on the space program policy, so I’ve left it as unimplemented.

I’ve also implemetged the married tax allowance at a very low level for canada.

It was poinetd out to me that bicycle subsidies are not going to impact car usage that much given Canadas geography and climate, so I reduced the impact of cycle campaigns and subsidies on car usage specifically for canada.

4 Likes

Some voter groups can be bought cheaply.

Anarchocommunism is 9x more expensive than capitalist fascism.

1 Like

Hey Cliff, I don’t meant to bug you but Canada’s debt is still severely broken!

As I mentioned in my post above from a couple weeks ago, you only counted Canada’s federal debt, which is only about a third of Canada’s total debt load. Canada’s general government debt at the end of 2019 is 2497 billion dollars, not the 700 billion or so that it is currently set to in the game!

1 Like

Very delayed request… is CanCon in the game? It could be interesting to attempt to implement. It’d be a slider, I think.

1 Like

What is this CanCon you speak of?

1 Like

“Basically it seems like canadian conservatives are fairly moderate comapred to the US, and our model doesn’t know why yet…”

Holy shit. You just made me rethink conservatism. I identify as a conservative in Canada. Yet I do not align with liberals or conservatives in the USA. You are on to something man. Perhaps the game needs a way to represent a group twice? Extreme, moderate? Perhaps even three ways, although that would probably complicate things too much.

1 Like

“What is this CanCon you speak of?”

At it’s core, it is an attempt to stem the primarily American, (and to a lesser degree British) influence in Canadian media. This is an effort to promote Canadian nationalism (though not populist, but in a cultural sense) so that Canada does not become a second USA or second Britain. Although the primary is of course the USA.

Canadian content - Wikipedia

1 Like

Honestly I wouldn’t overthink it. It would fall under art subsidy.

Beyond that, it’s an effort by the government to promote Canadian produced entertainment content on Canadian networks. It’s one of those things that the elite of the art world get into a flap about, but nobody else cares.

1 Like

Yes, interesting, but probably best represented by arts subsidies and state media policies? I am aware that France has the same thing, as its government was very concerned that basically teenagers are growing up watching netflix shows set in the US.

Without the BBC its possibly a concern in the UK too. We don’t have little league, high school, the prom, baseball and lots of other US things which we absorb anyway. Like 911 being an emergency number (999 in the UK). Also we pick up american terms like faucet and sidewalk. argggh!

1 Like

The biggest thing about CanCon is the quasi-censorship aspects of it. As part of CanCon, Canadian broadcasting stations are required to show a certain percentage of Canadian-made content. For example, 1/3rd of Canadian radio during primetime hours must be Canadian music & talk radio, and 55% of TV broadcasts must be Canadian.

This results in a lot less content shown in Canada that isn’t Canadian - which helps with patriot membership, but isn’t good for consumer choice, and wouldn’t make capitalists happy in all likelihood. It also results in a lot more Justin Bieber music (he’s Canadian) & music repeats on radio than elsewhere in the world.

See Canadian content - Wikipedia for a better overview though!

2 Likes

Allow me to weigh in on the issue:

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

2 Likes

Never thought of Canada that way, interesting…

1 Like

Yeah. It isn’t censorship persay, as they can still play some foreign TV. But they are mandated to play Canadian-only broadcasts over 50% of the time. By today’s standards, for Canada’s bigger networks, this is typically news & talk radio which is local anyway, and the syndicated series (the dramas, action shows, etc) are American.

There’s controversy abound in the policy today when it comes to streaming services like NetFlix and Pandora/Spotify. Unlike radio & TV stations, they aren’t bound by CanCon… yet. So traditional broadcasters in Canada are peeved that they have an unfair advantage. Canada’s currently working on extending CanCon requirements to Netflix and Pandora/Spotify.

2 Likes

I think this is a really interesting issue, and maybe in the long run something that could be in the game, as a possible negative situation of ‘cultural imperialism’ or something similar, where politicians, and maybe patriots and the elderly are especially concerned that they are losing their culture to foreign influence.

Perhaps over time, a rise in the number of ethnic minorities, combined with a lack of state media and arts subsidies could cause a negative situation?

As a coder, I have to deal with the fact that most of the time, the english I’m typing is American, not British, so I have got 100% used to typing ‘color’ and not ‘colour’ and I use a bunch of z’s in words where we would normally use an s :smiley:

3 Likes

Honestly, I wouldn’t even worry about things like American English vs English English when dealing with Canada. We spell half of things the American way, and half of them the English way, we measure our own height in feet and inches, but distance between towns in km, unless we are hypothetically talking about actually traveling between places in which case we measure distance in estimated travel time. We measure our weight in pounds, fuel in our cars in liters (sometimes spelled litres), I could go on.

2 Likes

You wanna model imperialism in game? Or the history of colonialism?

I imagine if they’re ever middle east countries in the D series, perhaps they would have the hold over of their slave trade.

1 Like