Ban Divorce = Angry Youth/Parents

Restricting/banning divorce should displease the youth as it means that they’ll be stuck in a dysfunctional family. It should displease parents, as it means that they’ll be stuck in a marriage they don’t want to be in.

A dysfunctional family whose parents divorce will not magically turn into a functional, happy family overnight. I don’t think banning divorce would change that fact. Plus, I’m pretty sure the ban would not stop people from “divorcing” de facto and just pretending like their spouses don’t exist. (Then there would be the problem of extramarital affairs), probably.

1 Like

Well, there would be some impact forcing children to stay on in bickering households?

That was my point, people will just find ways to separate whether or not you ban divorce. Children would likely suffer (or not) under the same conditions as before.

1 Like

Well, since dysfunctional families aren’t modeled in anyway, the emergent behaviour you’re speaking of won’t be represented in some way. Atleast this way, the player knows that they’re upsetting the youth, or atleast upsetting them more. Because banning divorce probably makes their situation worse. Even some form of an impact would be better than what it is currently, as it seems that it has no impact on the youth, and that can’t be right.

Does it already make parents unhappy? Probably should.

1 Like

Just because something isn’t modeled doesn’t mean we shouldn’t take into account its effects. I agree that it would probably make adults unhappy, but I am unsure about the effects on children.

1 Like

I’d say that it should affect children.

Although this study says that legalizing divorce has a negative effect on children, and particularly women, I haven’t found a study on the effects of illegal divorce, would somebody be able to find that?

http://ftp.iza.org/dp3789.pdf

1 Like

I don’t think any major country has outright banned divorce, which is why there are no studies on the matter.

1 Like

Pakistan, Saudi Arabia? Atleast from the woman’s side.

1 Like

Yeah, but there still doesn’t seem to be any studies on the matter (at least that I can find).

2 Likes

Philippines. Although they do allow the annulment of marriages.

2 Likes