Mod Support Change for the next version

If you have the tribe expansion, take a look at it, because it uses the exact same system, it does this:

[config] path = tribe

Great! I literally just purchased it probably a half hour ago. I’ll install it and use it as an example. I really appreciate how you are so available (especially being the huge difference in timezone).

lolz… how redonkulous.

I must have assumed the data goes within the /installs/ directory. So inside of installs I had eve.txt and eve/.
I see that your post sure as hell doesn’t say that is where the data goes. I may have read it in another post or I may have just assumed it I’m not sure but I would put my bet on assumption.

Thanks a bunch

Good to hear you got your mod working… thanks to the space hippies no less. lol

Basically, what he said. One look at the install folder contents in the base GSB folder ought to make file structure self explanatory.

• CT

A couple of things.

Built a mod, works great. Woot!

It would be nice if there was a way to keep track of ship designs that use mods, however, so that if the mod is not loaded, the game knows to ignore modded ships. Is this the case?

The ability to have the mod files supersede stock files would also be great. A mod should be able to, say, change the range of an existing weapon, etc.

OK, here is something that needs looking at WRT mods.

I make a mod with a new module. I test mod by making a ship that uses the module. I later alter that module and change the name of it. Game crashes on load.

I know WHY this happens, the game cannot load the now non-existent module. If I delete the custom built ship the game loads up.

You could make it so that all ships and deployments created with a mod running are localized in a modded ships folder—but that will still be an issue if multiple mods run.

Yes, that would really make the game more modding friendly. If the game could just remove modules from a ship design which doesn’t exist anymore many crashes could be avoidable. But I think that there are many more important issues at hand :wink:

I agree on the priority, but at some point this needs to be address to make mods actually functional. Right now, if you design any ships with mods, you need to be careful to name them so you can find and move/delete them.

My personal idea was to make a stock ship with the same name as every modded ship, then when I disable the mod, copy the stock ships on top of the modded ones.

This is really a question for cliffski, but if anyone else knows the answer…

I’ve converted my Firefly mod over to the news seperate directory structure, but the game crashes with this error:
28/12/2009 - 1::32 - ERROR - FMOD[Failed to createStream] (23) File not found.
:…\src\GUI_Sounds.cpp 635

Does each new race require their own sounds/mods, or can they use the existing ones from other races?
I also have a suspicion that the error (it would be nice if it said what file it didn’t find) is because I have specified new music for this race.
Does the structure allow for additional music to be defined in this directory structure?

You can use existing sounds for weapons and such so long as you specify the correct path for the file.
As for music, you need to place it in the default sounds/music folder. It doesn’t seem to work if you just stick it in the mod’s directory.