No revenues from state-owned enterprises

Im rebuilding the installer with different options to upload a new file now…this is very strange. Md5 hash shows its fine, and it runs fine locally :frowning:

1 Like

OK, just replaced the installer with a new file, that should be the same: D4Installer105.new.exe
Although I think this is actually an issue with humblebundle.com and their downloads rather than the actual file. Any luck now?

will give it a shot just a moment

Yes! In the installer now. Successfully installed and booted up the game.

1 Like

.new works for me, installation complete.

1 Like

awesome…i can get some sleep!

I feel like one slider is almost not enough?
Like, you can spend a lot on expanding the infrastructure that comes with a specific state-run utility.
And separately from that, you can also charge your citizens a lot, just like a private company would.
So one set of effects would be about how much you spend on it, and the other about how much you charge for it. And together, they would balance income vs. expenses.
There could also be separate policies about whether everybody automatically has to pay (like many countries do for their broadcast services and such - I think the UK has that?), or whether they just gotta sign up for it and are effectively treated just like a private company would treat customers.
Roughly the difference between fees or taxes, I suppose.

So really there is three separate policies in there:

• run utility
  • charge per user/usage
  • tax everybody (regardless of usage)

And maybe on top of that there could be relief policies for vulnerable groups, so poor or elderly people are exempt from fees or taxes.

Hah. In my experience with Democracy 4 thus far, my country also defacto only has a single party. (Though in this case because people really do love me so much lol) I feel like fixing that would require rather deep changes though. The ministerial system just doesn’t truly capture many of the dynamics that affect how officials are elected today.

1 Like

yeah it installing now

I refreshed the page and tried again and still didn’t work with me. Perhaps I’ll just try tomorrow and see if it’s updated by then, perhaps.

Edit: it’s working now!

Edit 2: I nationalized rail, set it on medium and immediately triggered a rail strike lol

Edit 3: Hitting backspace when typing in the save game menu sometimes I think activates the back tool and bring me to the previous screen.

Nationalisation also uses well-used lines (for railways) to offset the costs of running less well-used, but essential lines, like one-train-a-day countryside. The private ownership tender-based system tries to have TOCs take on regions with some of each, but in the likes of Scotland that’s a vast area compared to the Southeast/Capital with lots of routes and infrastructure in a dense geographical area. Plus, all the maintenance is separated from operations, but in a nationalised system, they are both managed by the government.

1 Like

Being able to play as China would be pretty fun. I think it’s reasonable to have them in considering there are already mechanics for authoritarianism and low democracy levels. Presumably China would have a lot of the authoritarian policies, no term limits (ironically they had term limits until Xi Jinping got rid of them), minimal judicial indepence, etc. They’d start with decent education levels but little investment in state schools or other welfare measures and low taxes, so high inequality but not rock-bottom HDI because the GDP is still decent with plenty of government spending on business subsidies, technology subsidies, scientific research, infrastructure spending, etc. Plus a bunch of state owned enterprises. You’d also start with a large deficit.

1 Like

Yes I think a small amout of patriots support nationalisation but it may be influentied by the country history. Here in Brazil I have a perception that somewhat 20% ~ 30% of patriots support nationalisation.
This would be higher if we hadn’t a high history of corruption in state owned companies.

1 Like

I think they could couse some influence on corruption as well. Because sometimes a elected individual could influence or directly appoint someone to be CEO or other high ranks in companies.
Here in Brazil we have many kinds of state companies. It could be over simplified as:
Public companies (some generate profit to the teasure others don’t)
Mixed companies where the state owns a share of the company some times have control and sometimes not.

A big example is Petrobras is a mixed company listed at Bovespa as PETR4 or PETR3, the state has control of it and it have the monopoly of oil and gas, the monopoly was weakened recently but it istil persist. The profit is payed to the teasure as dividends and to privates shareholders as well.
As a controller the state can appoint members of the board and other high ranks, this caused one of the biggests cases of corruption of the world. Where the company contracted building companies and these building companies passed on part of the money to politicians.

Oooh this is interesting, are we thinking high levels of state funding of industries causes more corruption?

Let’s not get too ideological here. There is no evidence to support this relationship.

1 Like

I have no idea TBH. Its sounds like the sort of thing people may have done studies of though.

edit:
This suggests almost the opposite, with a lot of relatively high state-ownership countries having very low corruption:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index
Interesting that the US is apparently more corrupt than canada :smiley:

The whole issue of corruption, and what causes it, and its impact on economic activity anc competitiveness probably needs more expansion actually.

2 Likes

One big déterminant of corruption is low public sector pay. If police/ civil servants can’t rely on a good paycheque the more likely they will be to accept a bribe

2 Likes

Uh, meaning who exactly?

Denmark, sweden, finland, sweden, norway, these all have fairly wig public sectors I thought?

1 Like

Yes. As a matter of fact, if you exclude personal homes, the Norwegian state owns 76% of the country’s wealth https://www.peoplespolicyproject.org/2018/03/14/the-state-owns-76-of-norways-non-home-wealth/

2 Likes