1.26 ships dissapearing/invisible.

I’m on OS X.

Ships are missing and invisible after the first time a mission is fought.

Attached is an image showing the problem; when the mission is actually fought, those ships are invisible except for their exhaust & other effects (gun effects, etc)

debug.txt :
[19:58:48.595]- Failed to open file: /Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/GratuitousSpaceBattles2/web/workshop.ini : 2
[19:58:48.595]- GBufferedFile failed to open file [/Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/GratuitousSpaceBattles2/web/workshop.ini]
[19:58:49.008]- Failed to open file: data/dlc.txt : 2
[19:58:49.008]- GBufferedFile failed to open file [data/dlc.txt]
[19:58:49.094]- Failed to open file: /Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/GratuitousSpaceBattles2/web/gsbcdu : 2
[19:58:49.147]- Received stats and achievements from Steam

[19:58:49.251]- Vertex Buffer Released
[19:58:53.698]- Failed to open file: data/dlc.txt : 2
[19:58:53.698]- GBufferedFile failed to open file [data/dlc.txt]

Same problem. In addition, in the ship creation feature (sorry no screen shot) the small image to the right is not visible, and this usually the ship who disappears, or only the exhaust flame is visible in the game. I should note the problem in intermittent.

Hi, is this on OSX too?

This is still happening, in much the same way, in 1.27.

I started from a clean install again - copied all my save stuff away.

Everything worked fine until I started customizing units. In the third battle, all units were visible in the planning screen but my new gunships, the carrier-class ships, and the enemy fighters were invisible.

Is there anything I can do to help debug this further? The game loses a fair bit of colour when you can’t see what’s happening.

Hi, to clarify this, let me check the following statements with you:

1. When you load up the game, and fight battles against an enemy, you see ALL the enemy ships.
  2. In those battles, if you are using the stock ‘sample’ ships, these also show up fine.
  3. if you create a new custom ship, those ships arte always invisible.
  4. You can see everything about those ships apart from the actual ship. ie: you see engine glows, laser beam firing from them etc.
  5. You still see turrets on your invisible ships.?

I’m trying to work out exactly whats going wrong. it sounds a lot like the game isn’t allowing you to create new cached graphics for new ships. This might be a file access / permissions thing. Is there anything unusual about your setup, user-permissions wise?

If you create a custom ship, but strip everything from it but the hull, so its just a hull with no visual customizations, can you see that?
Sorry for all the questions. AFAIK this is only happening to you, so working out how to reproduce it is very tricky :frowning:

The results below are from starting a fresh game on 1.27 (I deleted GratuitousSpaceBattles2 folder form ~/Library/Application Support)

1) When you load up the game, and fight battles against an enemy, you see ALL the enemy ships.

First two levels: all ships, all effects visible, no customization

On Yammaxia Prime, (the first where I customized ships) the first time I played all ships were visible in the deploy view. Once playing:

• the enemy Cruisers were invisible except for their spinning radar dishes, drive flame, and weapon fire (though I don’t think I see turrets). (Damage was displayed as well).
  • My gunships and the enemy gunships were invisible except for exhaust/weapons
  • Cruisers reappeared upon destruction.
  • Now that I have quit and restarted the game, (I did defeat the level) enemy cruisers are no longer visible in the deploy view
  1. In those battles, if you are using the stock ‘sample’ ships, these also show up fine.

Yes.

1. if you create a new custom ship, those ships are always invisible.

Not always. The custom Dreadnaught I made is visible, the gunships are not, custom frigates are not.

1. You can see everything about those ships apart from the actual ship. ie: you see engine glows, laser beam firing from them etc.

Yes, in all cases.

1. You still see turrets on your invisible ships.?

I think turrets are not visible - I’ve attached a screenshot.

I’m trying to work out exactly whats going wrong. it sounds a lot like the game isn’t allowing you to create new cached graphics for new ships. This might be a file access / permissions thing. Is there anything unusual about your setup, user-permissions wise?

I don’t think so. It’s a standard Steam install.

If you create a custom ship, but strip everything from it but the hull, so its just a hull with no visual customizations, can you see that?

That doesn’t seem to affect it, though customization does seem to make it more likely that it will be invisible. The ships I created in this run had no visual customizations whatsoever, but I left all the attachments that “normally” go on it alone.

Sorry for all the questions. AFAIK this is only happening to you, so working out how to reproduce it is very tricky :frowning:

Boo! I was watching the debug log and I don’t see anything unusual there.

For what it’s worth, I’ve run GSB2 on my retina monitor as well as a ‘regular’ monitor, tried different screen sizes &c - it’s very consistent.

Other things to note I guess - I haven’t tried anything but Terran ships yet.

I really don’t think it’s just customization, on account of the fact that the enemy ships also are invisible, as in the screenshot.

Ok, we are hugely puzzled by this!
Could you try again, and when you notice a custom ship not drawing right, can you quit and go to the games user data folder, look in the ships folder for that ship file, and post its contents here (or email it to cliff At positech dot co dot uk). Its almost like graphical layers are ‘missing’ but I’d like to see if the game isn’t drawing them, or it actually hasn’t written them to disk…

I am also having a similar problem on 1.27 using OSX.

However, it is typically not my custom ships that disappear but rather the enemy ships in the campaign. I attempted to reduce the graphic detail and shut off various settings in hope of mitigating the problem, but it didn’t help. In fact, I started getting inverted images of the Steam app’s interface in the battlefield as a result.

I’m not sure if it’s related, but the game has also developed a tendency to crash mid-battle.

OK, I sent an email to Cliff - this appears to be that .dds files are being written with no pixels (transparent). So all the loading & rendering is being done properly but it is rendering transparent textures.

I have the exact same problem on ver 1.28 and OS 10.9.5