Curious Research system "bug"?

Whiloe experimenting with the research tree, I found out something curious.

Trying to get research upgrade points faster, I’ve hired more than 60 scientists, (70) and after a while with 5x speed game…

Not only the incredibly huge ammount of Upgrade Points, but the progress bar surprised me. So I investigated a bit more and found out why it happens.

First, the progress bar will go beyond it’s limit…

…until it gets out of screen… or beyond.

Then, I fired every single scientist… and I keep getting more upgrade points! Will I have infinite upgrade points?

Answer is NO!
Progress bar gets depleted, so no more upgrade points until you hire new scientists.

Now that we have seen what happens, let’s see why it happens.

Each scientist adds 1 point to the “UPG”(upgrade points generator). For creating an Upgrade point, UPG must reach 60. Everyday, the game checks if UPG is avobe or equal to 60, and if true, it adds an upgrade point and reduces by 60 the UPG.

This mechanic will result on the following:

If each day I add 70 to the UPG and decrease it by 60; UPG will increase by 10 every single day, even when avobe 60 (40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, etc.) and then, it’s progress bar will overflood.

Then, when UPG is at 600, if i fire all scientists i have, I’ll keep creating Upgrade points for 10 days, until the UPG gets depleted (or below 60).

I don’t know if this is an actual bug or if it was intended to be this way, so that each day we will only get 1 Upgrade point, but still, we won’t lose all that extra work from the extra scientists we’ve hired. Anyway, I’m not sure if people will be hiring more than 60 scientists on actual gameplay.

60 seems rather arbitrary.

Can’t find a scenario where you’d have exactly 60 researching (maybe some are idle to get points?)
syringe (10), hadron (20), sequencer (15), regulatoryConnection (10) = 55…

Does something similar happen for Explorers (and ingredients)?

It appears similar happens w/ Explorers. (and it adds to the $ balance after you’ve fired them… weird)

It just seems that the game is either unable or unwilling to give you more than 1 research/ingredient upgrade point per day, so the excess is rolled over to the next day.

This way, you can build up many days worth of excess and fire all your staff and keep getting points.